1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: FrozenCPU: Billet Pron Bench; Sponsored by CORSAIR

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 18 Jan 2013.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

:jawdrop: I had dropped in pretty much daily hoping for another update :hehe:

2. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Ooooooooh snap! Bill just popped a bottle of awesomesauce again! :rock:

3. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Thats some serious craftmanship, never fancied the benches myself, but I do love what your doing!

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Awesome top is awesome.

5. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@Waynio, hehe, and btw, we want you on our Podcast, someday...? :D

@flix, Thank you for tuning and commenting!

@Pranja, it's on the Menu, Sir! :rock:

@avolla, understood! and appreciate that you drove for 1st, but please come to 2nd, even if you don't finish it :dremel:

@Crapman, Thank you very much for watching, your screen name alone, makes my day :D

@siliconefanatic, Thank you, but don't Cheaps gets props too! :hip:

@Balder, we're starting to snicker at description of "bench".... friends on facebook said it reminded them of baby incubator, Airport terminal, and Egg Slicer...

@Mankz, thankful we never pitched it as "Mini ITX Test Bench"...lol

Heres the latest update, Frozen has two eVga Titans on their menu for the hardware.

The length of a Titan is 10.5" and we have 10" space... I had 680GTX on the brain when I finalized everything before we made the parts (insert: dramatic music) :worried:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ow. I had a feeling it would be the titan. We've had problems with the limitations a cover adds on this one. Answers to my solutions ran from, "no," to, "Oh, God NO!."

-May have to go back to the "OGNO" option... It's 10.5 AND has cables sticking out of the top corner.

7. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Well,you can always tell them to use GTX680. Right?

8. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Throwing around some ideas
    1: Is there any way to squeeze the card between the ribs in the cover?
    2: Can you machine the cover back to make them fit while still being structural?

If not you could always donate them to my next build. Would go a long way towards funding it.:hehe:

9. Cheapskate

@Avolla - 1: Would you even want to try it?
    2: That's the plan. Plan "OGNo" was having each rib a little different to make a bulge in the middle that hangs down over the front. Can you imagine keeping track of 30 different fins during assembly/cutting?

Why would he give away a set of perfectly deadly boomerangs?

10. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Think of it more as a donation to the furthering of a fellow modders ability to build an over the top rig. Lol. It was more a shameless plug and the worst he can say is no. I'd love to put a pair of these in my next build but don't have the money for it. A man can dream right?

Look forward to seeing how or if the Titans will go into this build.

11. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

[​IMG]

12. mnpctech

@Cheaps, if notched the backside of lid isn't option, yr suggestion of shorting the risers is plan B.

@Pranja, They had to jump thru some hoops to land these titans, we'll make it work :thumb:

@avolla, we missed your presence Thursday, but had good time a lot of car talk entered the chat too.. :rock:

@barry, LOVE the reference, in fact I've used that same photo in the past for something... AND Roboduck and I anxiously awaiting for Mad Max 4, Fury Road... we brainstormed ideas for Road Warrior theme builds the other night.. :dremel:

Photos of Pre-fitting the cover.... the front could be more rigid, it flexed a bit, so we're making spacers for the lower front rod, that joins the ribs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Cheapskate

OOOOh! ...and maybe you should add two more feet to the back.:lol: That tail is going to be heavy.

I thought plan B was to scoot the entire mobo assembly back an inch?

14. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Yea, that thing is going to try to sit up when the top is raised.

15. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Would have loved to be able to make it. Sounds like a lot of fun and hopefully I can make it down for one of them.

Case is looking amazing. I think the spacers will help give it a nice look to that lower rod. It looks so good with the spacers on top so why not continue the theme? What did you figure out on the 680's vs titans issue?

Last edited: 10 Mar 2013
  16. mnpctech

@barry, it's actually very well balanced, when the cover is lifted... and the evga super nova psu will be good ballast too

@avolla, indeed, and we've got the new spacers for the lower rod. we're moving the motherboard .5" toward the rear...

I've been away from the workshop and stuck behind my desk the entire week, preparing for Taxes..Ok, so the plan is to remove small portion off backside of the fins, make new Motherboard tray with stand-off locations moved .5" toward the rear. Shorten the two I/O shield posts 1/8" to clear the back of the cover....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did have a very nice package arrive yesterday afternoon! The kind folks at Corsair were generous to send us their new Force GS SSD 240 GB and two 16 GB packs of Dominator DDR3 to utilize in our build. Awesome! Thank you Corsair!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Ha that last picture looks like it should be made into a modder's trophy. Would be quite awesome winning a golden hand clutching a fistful of plats. May have to make a 3D model of that hehe.

18. Cheapskate

Wow.
    ...Is it long-term memory, or short-term? -'cause I could use some short-term memory.:lol:

Taxes AND a jillion spacers to sand. Ouch!

19. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Gotta love amazing hardware for an amazing build. How much time are you having to spend on sanding each of the spacers? Can't wait to see the progress. Keep it up.

20. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

Bill, you have no doubt inspired a lot of modders with your work, but there is something about this one that's different. It's on its own level. Keep it up.