1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Bespoke battery pack help

Discussion in 'General' started by Shirty, 9 Mar 2013.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Hey folks, I'm having a few issues getting my head around replacing a small battery pack I have. The pack in question is simply labelled "Ni-MH 3H260BC 3.6V +".

Here it is, I've removed the outer wrapping to reveal the layout:

[​IMG]

It comprises three Vinnic H260BC batteries. Now I have three problems. Firstly, it looks like this is a bespoke layout. Secondly, I can't seem to find a UK source for replacement individual cells. Thirdly, how the hell does the soldering work on the surfaces of these cells? The strength of attachment is awesome.

I'd really like to source a pre-assembled replacement unit (using similarly rated alternative cells). I figured some of the RC crowd on here might know quite a bit about this stuff.

Any help much appreciated, it'd be great to get this secret item working again after several years. :thumb:

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Looks like spot welding, not soldering.

4. Shirty

Thanks mate, I'll fire them an email to see if they are familiar with it.

I'm sure you're spot on, I know nothing about most things :hehe:

5. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

You could probably get away with replacing it for a single cell LiPo, only issue would be if you have a charger for LiPos or not.

6. Shirty

The charging is fully controlled by the circuit board in the picture, it has a DC jack attached to it for a 4.5v 300mA AC adaptor.

Also the space the battery pack will need to fit in to will require a very similar sized replacement.

7. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

Are you certain the board does the charging? You could always hook the battery to the DC jack directly to allow for external charging, and you could certainly get a LiPo to fit. I'd definitely consider it if you can't find a suitable button cell replacement.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Defiantly spot welded, you need very high heat in an extremely short time span as to not damage the cell.

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

well if he is replacing the batteries i dont think he is to bothered about damaging the cells ;)
    also he could always snip the wire just before the battery and replace it with a similar cell

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

It not some much damaging the old cells, but if you try to do the new cells then he should know the risks.

Having said that, using a soldering iron to remove the old tabs would result in a cell popping which isn't fun!

11. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Call Strikalite - They'll make you anything you want. If you can either email them that picture or tell them the cell type over the phone, they'll most likely be able to make it for you.

I use them for custom airsoft battery packs all the time, they're reasonably priced and decent people.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Battery Packs are generally spot-welded and not soldered, which makes them a pain to replace (in wireless screwdrivers for instance)

14. Shirty

Thanks for all your help gents, I've contacted the companies recommended and pointed them to this thread, so hopefully I might get lucky :)

15. monkeyharris

monkeyharris What's a Dremel?

This looks like a Mathmos Aduki board and battery if I'm correct?

Did you get anywhere with the replacement battery? I'm in the same situation trying to replace mine.

Thanks

16. Shirty

Bizarrely yes it is, and although I have a company trying to source batteries of the same dimensions and capacity to create a pack, nothing has yet come of it :(

17. monkeyharris

monkeyharris What's a Dremel?

Ah ok, well if you have any success, please do post back here.
    I was thinking I might just buy three separate coin ni-mh cells and solder/glue them together, cover in heatshrink/electrical tape?
    Code:

Abit like these guys do here: http://bigsislilsisblog.tumblr.com/post/11703828179

Last edited: 24 Mar 2013
  18. andalucito

andalucito What's a Dremel?

Hi there, it is indeed a Mathmos Aduki.

I have the same issue right now. My battery just died and i was wondering if replacing it with a Ni MH 80 mAh 3.6 V would work?? i have seen them online for less than 3 euros.

I have no experience at all in the area.
    Thank you very much.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

20. Shirty

:hehe:

I never did bother to get it sorted, I just use ours plugged in now. It's really just a nightlight for my daughter, so no issue using it like that, but it would have been nice to sort.

I suspect (without looking) that this tread ranks fairly highly on a Google search for "aduki battery replacement" or similar...