1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

There are two sides to this argument...

I use lube on mine whenever I go through rain or wash my bike but that's it. I've never cleaned/degreased my chain despite it being a stock one and having done more than 11000 miles so far.

Do with that information what you will! In terms of aesthetics, there's no argument as a grubby chain just looks grubby, but I know other people who do the exact same as me, or even forgo the regular lubing but still have long lasting chains.

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks RTT

Any make you recommend?

3. Asouter

Asouter --------

Wurth dry chain wax is what I use, no fling and you hardly know that there's anything on you chain, extremely clean

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I use wurth stuff too, very good.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks, will get some this afternoon then

6. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

I totally need one of these :)

And I bet I could hide it in the garage without the missus seeing it.

7. RTT

RTT #parp

Indeed. I like to do it regularly because a nice clean chain looks better ( :rolleyes: ) and am more likely to pick up on stiff links or failing o-rings as I check it while I clean it :thumb: Same goes for chain tension too! I reckon one of the best ways to keep on top of things is just to get cleaning, you end up spotting all sorts of things!

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Never cleaned a chain, just regularly regrease.

If you switch to "dry lube" (ptfe based) you'll need to completely and thorouhly clean off the "original" sticky greasy first!

Well, as long as the part you replace is TÜV approved (or has a EU number), the point is, your insurer doesn't care, and doesn't need to know.
    As long as you keep the bike legal, the insurer isn't informed (unless you change the max power that is)
    They don't care if you put on a rear hugger, or an alarm, a different exhaust or paint it in a different colour.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2013
  9. RTT

RTT #parp

Which is completely rational, unlike the retarded insurance companies we have over here :duh:

Put rim tape on it? "Oh that's a modification, sir..."

10. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Well, come on, they're not going to make obscene levels of profit by charging a fair price, or paying out when there's a ludicrous reason why they shouldn't - are they !?!

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Damn, good point. I'm going to send them all a donation so they can keep up the good work

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Exactly my point.
    The Germans may be beancounters when it comes to technical modifications, but if it's been approved once (eu-certified, or TÜV-certified) it can be applied on endless bikes (or cars) and noone cares.

Got to give the Insurance guy some slack though, he get's a brand new company Audi every couple of years, what would he know about modifications? :D

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Aaah, that makes sense! What a wonderful system.

14. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

E.C's comprehensive guide of how insurance works:

1.) You pay your insurer lots of money.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

2.) Have an accident

16. RTT

RTT #parp

3) decide it isnt worth claiming and move on

17. Xir

Xir Modder

3a) get told the parts need to be manufactured...eventually, and have the bike at the dealers for a year without compensation. (Thx Aprilia)

(Though this is not the fault of the insurance..well the no compensation part is)

18. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Or, just for instance

4) Following a very light collision with an idiot on a scooter who did an unannounced u-turn in front of your customer. Insist that the remedial work is done at an "insurance approved" garage, one which has paid you as the insurance company, a hefty fee to become "approved". Allow the garage to re-coup your fee by charging you back almost £4,000 for the work carried out, despite the fact that parts cost less than a third of this total. In that way, you can increase consumer premiums based upon "rising costs" - costs which you have added in directly yourselves, and which you can recover, and which for all intents and purposes are pure bottom line profit.

Can't have the criminals and fraudsters being the only ones benefiting from the legal requirement to have motor insurance can we ?

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Actual insurances and banks make Mob "insurances" and "banks" look good...sadly

20. RTT

RTT #parp

Random questions:

What mileage qualifies as "low mileage" for a bike?

Is age always a factor in low mileage? For example, if a bike has 30k miles but is also 25 years old, is that still "low mileage"?