1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Hello bike geniuses,

I am changing the crank on my touring bike from a suntour to a shimano, and changing from 3 front rings to a higher geared 2 front rings as I have found since I have been doing alot more riding and got alot fitter there isn't enough gear on my bike to go as fast as I want to go.

This bike has square taper bottom bracket (which is still in good running order) where as all my other bikes are hollowtech II, I put the new crank on on saturday morning, and it didn't very easily go onto the square taper, maybe about half on, which means the drive side is sitting too far out. Do I literally just have to bash this on until it is on enough? I thought tightening up the side bolt would pull the crank arm on more but it didn't. I'm happy to take my mallet to it I just wanted to check first!

3. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

I take it the crank you've bought is for a square taper and not a hollowtech crank for a square taper bottom bracket? If it is the case that you have a square taper crank. then it's pressed on. The hollowtech design is much easier to install. There is a tool for this. Here's a page that may help you out. crank-installation-and-removal-square-spindle-type I wouldn't want to smack it with a mallet as best case scenario you might not press the crank on correctly.

I would recommend you buy your self some proper bike tools as they do come in handy when you service your bike.

4. Margo Baggins

The bike is a retro bike, and the crank I have is one of a similar vintage to the bike, just with new chain rings on it. The crank is a square tapered crank.

I am not mighty enough to "press" it all the way on, there is still an abundance of space between the top of the square hole in the crank, and the square tapered part. Maybe 4mm.

I have proper bike tools :) I have the equipment and facilities to strip all of my bikes to just parts.

5. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

I think the nut is supposed to press the crank on a bit as well. I seem to remember that some bottom brackets are only compatible with certain cranks, but I could be wrong. One of the guys maybe able to shed further light on the issue though. Let us know how you get on.

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Fun fact: different cranks require different lengths of bottom bracket spindle.

There are a couple options as to why the new crank fits differently to your old one, the primary of which is stated above, but the other options are as follows: your old crank could have been "stretched" making it sit further on the spindle than it should; the new crank could be meant for a so-called "Campy" style interface rather than the JIS you have now (extremely unlikely, as it would have just slid on your bottom bracket and bottomed out on your frame essentially); or you've just not installed the bolt tight enough.

Take a look at where the inner ring on your new crankset sits compared to the bottom bracket interface, then compare this to where the middle ring sits on your old crankset. This should tell you most everything you need to know.

However, if you do suspect that something has gone wrong with one crank arm during installation check to make sure both ends of the cranks (where the pedals install) has similar clearance to the frame. If one is longer than the other: you've either got an asymmetrical bottom bracket (intended for a very particular crankset) or something is installed wrong.

Post pictures if you'd like and I'll be more easily able to tell what is going on.

For some reason Bit-Tech decided it would be a good time to log me out while I was writing this post. That annoyed me.

7. Margo Baggins

Thanks for the response - I didnt get home until late last night so I didn't get to look at it, I endeavor to do it this evening, so I will report back :D

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Ordered my new 2013 Giant XTC frameset on Monday, it arrived today. Fox Forks, push fit bottom bracket and an XTR chainset next I think.

[​IMG]

9. Cookie Monster

Sorry for the double post but,

I managed to snaffle a pair of white ODI patriot grips from work in white with a blue and a red lock on cap, I'd like to give them away to one of you lovely UK riders (I'm skint and cant afford silly postage and the grips are UK colours).

How would you guys feel about posting an "interesting pic" of your bike and the best one wins? It must be your bike (maybe a bit of paper in the shot with your username on). Let me know what you think.

10. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Interesting! Maybe I'll finally put a pic of my poor battered winter steed!

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

12. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I like the idea.

I have a few little ideas that I could do, and we're getting to (nice) cycling weather now.

13. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

The XTC makes a very good race bike. If your going to be racing it go for the XTR chainset but if not XT is just as good. I might plump for a set of XTR shifters but if heard they're not as good as the old nine speed shifters. I think Shimano went cheap on the component materials compared on older versions. Will you be going two rings up front and ten at the back?

Which Fox forks are you considering. I'm currently looking at buying a new set of forks. I only need 100m to 120m up front. Just wondered whats out there as I haven't looked recently.

14. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

New toy should be here soon :) to make those darker Summer rides a bit fun :).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Cookie Monster

I'll leave that up to you.

I'll create a new thread for it, I may even look into international shipping.

I've got XTR rear / front mechs and shifters already, it's the older M970 stuff from maybe 4yr ago. I've just changed the drivetrain so I'll probably stick with 9x3.

As for the forks, the frame is designed around 100mm travel, so I was looking at 32 Float RL's.

16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Did the bike ride yesterday. Hired bikes from bothy bikes and went up to nethy bridge then forest lodge then down to the ryhvone bothy then Glenmore and back to Aviemore. About 40km,was really surprised at the pace I was able to ride at. Took us about 3-4 hours I think. Was a great ride, just a bit of aching today, snowboarding today hasn't helped that, :D.

Sent from my Orange Monte Carlo using Tapatalk 2

17. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Wow, you planning on using it to jump off a cliff or something with that craaaaazy amount of travel :lol::lol:

18. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

That light shown a helmet light? What setup you running in that photo? Although my fitness isn't anywhere near what I would want for serious night riding, once I get back into the swing this summer I'd like to look at some decent night riding gear so I can keep it up next winter(ok ok, extreme forward planning here I know)

19. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

That is a shot from the guys website that is just purely that light on the helmet its an absolute beast :).

google Troute lights,

2600 true lumins

20. Cookie Monster

Anyone else up for taking an interesting photo of their bike in order to win a pair of grips then? I'd like to know if there is any interest before I created a new thread and it burns.