1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Can it run Crysis 3?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 15 Mar 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

im soooo happy! its been years since bit-tech did this graphics settings thing! thats what made me visit ur site at the start. then it all went away! every review kinda used to be like this also... keep this styl bit!

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

An in-depth performance analysis, nice one! I had to laugh at the Nvidia dominance, given the AMD branding on the game - clearly this branding lark doesn't mean a thing, but if the money keeps the PC games industry going I'm not going to knock it.

I know it's VERY late but I have to ask, is Bit-tech going to release an actual review of arguably the most important game of the year? Unlikely, I know, but I think it's omission has done nothing to improve the somewhat shaky image bit has acquired recently.

4. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I'm still surprised you chose to go with a 1155 system instead of 2011. This is especially important for high end cards in crossfire/SLI at high resolution, like the Titans for example. I can understand initially saying that "Aah most of the user base is going to be on 1155" except you've gone and chosen a motherboard that's so expensive for 1155 that it nullifies the point. The PLX chip helps, but it's still an odd choice.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

It will be interesting to see how the game runs on the Playstation 4, given the PC heritage, I doubt Crytek will be able to resist doing a relatively simple porting job and opening up a whole new market for the game.

Launch title unveiling at E3 is my bet.

6. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

This game still looks very good even at Low settings. Impressive.

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Great to see performance breakdowns again, I've found I can run this game very play-ably on a 560TI @ 1680x1050 at absolute maximum details with 2xsmaa. Runs between 20 and 40 fps. 75 % of the time it's above 25fps which is pretty much the same performance I got from Far cry with a FX5700 Ultra and Crysis with 2x 9800GTX+'s.

I love the feeling that my system is being pushed to the max but it can still handle it.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2013
  8. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Pretty sure bit tech doesn't do any sli or crossfire reviews

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Its something I want to do more of and why we're now using a multi-GPU capable board. In my experience, the 3570K just doesn't get CPU capped that often. Check our GTX Titan review; 3 x GTX Titans scaling well in BF3.

10. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

See the HD 7850? That.

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I'd of thought closer or slightly better than a 7870 TBH, without the Windows OS overheads and running purely on GDDR5 bandwidth.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

3x 3GB overclocked 660 Tis + overclocked i7 920 = Pete playing quite happily at very high 2560x1600! Mind you, I've 'only' got 4x MSAA on since 8x MSAA is effectively no different and has a large performance hit.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well not really. The PS4 GPU has 18 compute units (vs the 7850s 16) and devs will be coding direct to metal so its performance will be much, much better.

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Great work guys! :)

I think some people are forgetting, that PCI-E 3.0 x8 is the same as PCI-E 2.0 x16, which with today's cards, will not cause a bottle next.

Would be good to see the GTX Titan running on PCI-E 2.0 x16 and on PCI-E 3.0 x16 to prove this matter. :)

When me and Pookiehead did some test with our GTX 580's running PCI-E 2.0 x16 x16, and then at PCI-E 2,0 x8 x8, we saw about a 10% performance hit.

I'm running Crysis 3 maxed out with SMAA MGPU 2X, and to be honest, I can't see any difference between that, and 8xMSAA, apart from the obvious performance hit.

The game does look stunning, or jaw dropping would be better used, once you get out into the open!

My only issue I have, is the cut scenes dropping to 15fps - I haven't played much of it in the last week, so I'm hoping a patch may have solved this issue. Anyone else having that issue?

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I get that, but I've only had about three cutscenes so far. Right after they've ended, it's back to general smoothness.

16. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Why is Nvidia Programmer Timothy Lottes and many devs saying 8GB GDDR + APU + low level ,will be years ahead of anything currently possible on PC?

PC sits behind the necessary but wholly inefficient WDDM layer, then there's PCI-E latency. So theoretical performance 7850 vs Titan is one thing, the reality of unified architecture, direct to metal vs Windoze is another.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2013
  17. rollo

rollo Modder

If they direct port a ps4 game you may see no PC run it. Unless your on sli or Cfx rigs.

Coding to metal is easily 100% performance boost if not more vs direct x or OpenGL.

Not to mension the other OS stuff that runs.

John Carmack says the ps4 is quicker than most pcs I'm inclined to agree with him.

18. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Nonsense...Windows does impact performance, but nothing like to that extent.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Direct x itself is 80-90% acording to devs so not nonsense.

20. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

So, with a bit of luck, my 7850 1GB might be able to play Crysis 3 at Very High 1680x1050 (my monitors native resolution).

If so, that is great news!

Tags: Add Tags