1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Which speakers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Culinia, 18 Mar 2013.

1. Culinia

Culinia What's a Dremel?

My current Sennheiser HD555 headphones have now broken after approx. 3 years of service. I am seeking external speakers as a replacement so my big head don't break new ones again!

I have a budget of ~£350 or it could rise to no more than £500 if I deem it necessary to reproduce a similar quality sound. Do you think this budget is reasonable?

I have considered usual suspects such as the Logitech ZD906 set-up but it has been suggested to me that you are mostly paying for the 'brand image' rather than the sound quality. Does this seem a fair comment?

Former to my headphones breaking the primary use was listening to music (I enjoy listening to 50s, 60s music, I thought I would mention this incase it makes a difference regarding on bass or regarding any other terms) and games: BF3, CS:Go.

The reason why I am considering getting a 5.1 set-up is because I thought it would be more immense in these games in terms of good directional sound, bullets flying everywhere, etc.

If I do have a 5.1 surround sound... with the centre speaker does this mean I would have to mount my monitor on the wall to allow it to go under it? I'm assuming if it was placed on the floor it would be muffled/less crisp.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2013
  2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Bass is non directional - you can put your subwoofer anywhere and feel the benefit from it. You deffo want to put this on the floor and not under your monitor. Its best to stick subwoofer in the corner of the room.

As for which speakers you should get sorry I have no idea about pc speakers - I buy hifi gear.

3. Culinia

Culinia What's a Dremel?

Great, thanks!

Maybe I meant the centre speaker (main dialogue) - does that need to go under the monitor?

(edited op to reflect this)

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Indeedy, that wants to go above or below your monitor. As that's where all the talking normally happens in that speaker.

5. McDuff32

McDuff32 Minimodder

What type of audio do you listen to the most? Music or games?

6. Culinia

Culinia What's a Dremel?

Thanks ;)

I would guess about 60% music and 40% games...