1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WhiteKnight226, 7 Jan 2013.

1. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

No matter what I do, at about 100k population I find I am consistently -$50,000 p/h in maintaining services at an acceptable tax rate (for the residents anyway (circa 10%)) and rely on my exports to keep me profitable.

How have others overcome this cost barrier?

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, for me it is simple :
    Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition) - i already own it
    Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition) - i already own it
    Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition) - i already own it
    Bejeweled 3 - are you kidding me ?
    Plants vs. Zombies - are you kidding me ?

So it comes down to the choice between these three :
    MOHW (Standard Edition)
    NFS Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
    SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

NFS has the biggest appeal to me from those.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

This is my problem - one I'm trying to solve by not going over that population by controlling density. I'm a bit disappointed, as I always found utilities to be the game-breaking expense in SimCity 4 as well, and was hoping they'd do away with making the game ludicrously hard to balance budgets late on.

EDIT: Went for Dead Space 3

Last edited: 19 Mar 2013
  4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

5. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Hahha, brilliant :D

6. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

Been playing NFS today and I'm really annoyed about the DLC you need just to drive the cars :(

Sorry off topic :D

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

7. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Argjjfjffhh! What you mean? I plumped for NFS :duh:

Back on topic - I had fun tonight trying to make a low wealth high density oil producing monolith of a city. It sort of worked, but at least I did learn a lot about the game again

8. rollo

rollo Modder

NFS is fine you can unlock the mods ingame just takes time. Aka you gotta work for something.

Or you can pay £3.99 for the unlock.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I got Dead Space 3 - loved the first one, not so much love for the second, but willing to give the third a go.

10. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I chose NFS too, found a McLaren F1 and got so excited. Then it said "Press Y to go to Store" and a small part of me developed into raw hatred.

Anyway, has anyone else had a problem with SimCity where your friends city won't load at all? Me and a friend spent more than 4 hours in the same region and his city never updated even though it said he'd claimed the area. It was the same from his point of view.. God damn crappy servers, damn them to hell.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

looks like the traffic patch is out and there are rumblings that larger city sizes have been hinted at.

12. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I would love that to be true gunny. Fingers crossed!

I hit 200k pop last night. Im in a weird situation where im running at a 4k hourly loss but im actually making money because of my metal, plastic and alloy sales (for some reason they do not get calculated in your hourly profit/loss). Add to that the makings from my expo centre and im actually rolling in it.

The main issue i have that i cant seem to resolve is that im running out of water. I have set up another city with a full water pump setup to feed my main one, but the city that is running dry just wont take enough water from the feed! It barely buys any and i cant make ot take more. Very confused!

13. faugusztin

Well, you won't like the sound of it, but... The solution is to build a Sewage Treatment Plant and right next to it a Water Pumping Station with a filter. Sewage Treatment Plant is a infinite source of water, and the filter in the pumping station gets rid of any water pollution of the sewage.

14. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

I have the same problem, bankrupted my city in the end trying to resolve water and traffic problems. Will try out this method later.

Just downloading NFS now as my free game, is it better with a controller than a wheel or keyboard I take it?

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I have a city with an oil refinery - however, the refinery is always closed as its 'full' - even though I have the maximum (4) garages for transportation of the oil.

16. faugusztin

Click on City Specialization, click on Trading and check out if the transport vehicles for Global Market aren't stuck in inbound traffic. That is usually my problem with coal/oil deliveries to my power plants and with sales of metal/plastic to global market.

17. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Do you have trade depots for it to deliver to?

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I went for NFS as well, haven't played a racing game for well over a year though so it might sit there doing nothing for a long time.
    --------------

Back to SimCity...

After my three hour practice run last night I have come to the conclusion that I'm so out of touch with how to play SimCity that I think I'm going to have to relearn from scratch... which probably isn't a bad idea with this new one as it seems very different to get started.

All in all I quite like the game, it's got a few aspects which are a pain but it seems to play fairly intuitively which is good for people new to the franchise. I've been playing on my own to start with so I can screw about and not disrupt anyone else's region.

The only major thing (cosmetically) that's annoying me in the game at present is how roads going up hills seem a bit random.
    In a few places the road has raised before reaching the hill so it looks somewhat clean, but in most cases the road hits the hill and then looks like a scene out of a Warner Bros cartoon with it loosely draped over.

I'm hoping they patch it so we can choose to either tunnel through the hill or go up on top at a later point.

Other than that, so far the only other thing I don't like is the zombie outbreaks as I'm not a fan of the whole zombie craze.
    I don't suppose there's a way to turn zombies off?

19. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Oh really?! Awesome. Does the sewage treatment plant need to be on a source of water for this to work? Or can it be anywhere?. Il be so happy if this works!

20. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Let's be fair, this is probably how London's water system works IRL.

+1 for realism!