1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canonical to halve Ubuntu support lifetime

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

IMHO Canonical is doing a good job with Ubuntu. They've got a plan and they're sticking to it. It may not be the most popular distro amongs your regular linux posse, but it's definitely the most popular distro in total.

This hybrid system is definitely the way to go. It's the best of both worlds, rolling and stable, though the previous system was quite good in itself.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It used to be, but that's no longer the case. The most popular distribution around, as ranked by DistroWatch, is Linux Mint (an Ubuntu spin-off created when people got ticked off with Canonical) followed by Mageia (a former Mandriva fork) and then Ubuntu. While DistroWatch rankings aren't always the best, it's echoed by other metrics as well: Ubuntu is losing its hold on the Linux market. Whether its recent moves into smartphones and tablets will put it back on top or accelerate that decline remains to be seen.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

With it being "World Happiness Day" I really don't want to sound all negative about Linux as I usually do.
    However, with all the Linux brigade trying to get as many WinOS users to switch at every turn or topic, wouldn't this just put people off doing just that?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Ignoring the strawman for a moment, the answer's no: for your average Windows user switching to Ubuntu, the move is nothing but positive. Without having to do anything awkward like actually upgrade, you'll be guaranteed to always be on the most recent version of Ubuntu - something Windows can't offer. It's only the techie Linux types who are going to complain: they don't *want* to automatically be shifted to the very latest version, until they know what the changes are and are damn sure it's not going to break anything with which they've been tinkering.

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I am disliking more and more the wayt he main Ubuntu distribution is headed.
    Since Unity, and then the clustersmudge that was the 12.10 Amazon kerfuffle, I have tended to either use an ubuntu server image with whichever DE takes my fancy, or stick with one of the more lightweight community-spun flavours - Xubuntu and Lubuntu mostly.
    I've never been a fan of KDE, but I've not tried it in a while, and with Blue systems now sponsoring, I might take a look to see if I can get on with it.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I am following Ubuntu Touch with real interest. If Windows RT does not come off (although I think it will, eventually), then I could always install it on my Surface RT. Seems ideal for such a platform.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Has anybody been able to actually boot a third-party OS on the Surface RT yet? Last I checked, you couldn't disable Secure Boot in the BIOS, and nor could you install custom certificates - meaning nothing but Windows RT will boot on the Surface RT hardware.

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I can't actually say anything bad about Ubuntu since I've started using it for my HTPC some three to four years back in time. It works like a charm once setup correctly with XBMC ontop and I don't see any reason ahy I actually should use anything else then the LTEs anyways.

Limiting the support for the non-LTE versions to nine month is totally sufficient imho aswell.

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Outstanding, let's make make even more changes even more frequently and make Linux even less consistent and dependable.

But let's examine the fanboy response:

Except for: some of his hardware will stop working, he won't be able to use practically any of his favourite software, and he'll be required to go through a complex, time-consuming upgrade procedure once every - what is it - nine months, after which he'll spend a happy week adding repositories, recompiling kernels, and typing "sudo" 1.984*10^14 times to get back to almost where he started, give or take all the features that the linux world has decided aren't fashionable this week (regardless of how useful they actually are).

And neither does anyone else, because it will break everything.

P

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

You apparently don't understand how linux, or Ubuntu for that matter, operate. First of all, Canonical doesn't maintain every program of linux, so just because Ubuntu changes their course it doesn't mean they bring down everyone else with them. I personally use Arch, which is a rolling-release (it has no versions or release dates - it just chronically updates). I've found Arch to be pretty dependable and it uses newer software than Ubuntu.

Considering the recent decisions Canonical is making (such as with Unity or Mir), frequent changes on the user end are inevitable, but since they intend to take their own route that doesn't involve anyone else, it should calm down eventually. Besides, Ubuntu has been using half-year releases since it started, and you are able to upgrade from those without having to re-install your entire setup.

BTW, if you don't want to type sudo all the time, just type "su" and keep the window open.

12. Nexxo

Where there's a will, there's a hack. :)

13. Gareth Halfacree

Oh, look, it's Phil. Hi, Phil. Still working on those ulcers, I see? Attaboy.

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Ulcers now in remission following three of my friends moving away from Linux on netbooks.

15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Hi Phil. I love your Linux opinion. Please regale us with the tale of how you used it once, 10 years ago and think its just exactly the same and regurgitate the same opinion ad infinitum.

Back on topic
    I'm happy with this. Most, if not all, people taking their tentative first steps into Linux will most likely try Ubuntu's LTS version which remains untouched. It will help people focus on moving forward rather than patching back.

16. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Its all well and good mentioning Unity in this article, but we are past that. What Ubuntu are doing goes beyound Microsoft or Apple or any of the other Linux Distros. A universal cross device OS, with a standard interface and usage model, that makes sense and works with the normal input methods. Forgetting the Linux tekki girls and boys - who will use what they want and flit and change as often as they choose. For normal users, Ubuntu promises a great computing experience across all your gadgets.

I am happy with the arrangement. I think most users that Ubuntu are going after, will be too. I am glad there is Linux Mint and all the other groups and distros. There should be diversity so that those (Phil) who feel that needing to upgrade (shiver) their OS more than once a decade is too much - can find something less..... progressive!?

17. Gareth Halfacree

I'm not so sure: most, if not all, people taking their tentative first steps into Linux will most likely have no idea what "LTS" means and will simply download whatever Ubuntu's website offers them - which is, at present, the 32-bit Desktop non-LTS ISO. (Admittedly, that page does encourage people with more modern computers to download the 64-bit version instead, and also briefly explains why the LTS version might be desirable, but in my experience most 'casual' users will skim over the text and look for the very first button that says "Download" or anything even close to it.)

18. Nexxo

Yeah well, Microsoft is doing the same and is keelhauled for just removing the Start Button. Ubuntu Unity caused spasms of paroxysm for similar reasons. Me thinks that many users don't do "progressive".

19. aoakley

aoakley FriesWithStatic

If you have a look at the IRC log for that meeting, you can see that only 3 people voted for the change to a 9-month "interim" release cycle. That's tiny compared to the number of people eligible to vote.

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Or
    Code:
    sudo -s