1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Tiny

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Floyd, 28 Feb 2013.

1. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Well I went through my stash of pins and connectors and found out that im a little short on pins to complete this.
    So with that I went ahead and placed an order this weekend for the pins to finish the PSU.
    It should have a nice little weight reduction seeing that im hacking off about half the usable connectors and shortening the other cables quite a bit. I think the SATA power cable is only going to be 3-4 inches long!
    Cant wait for the 24 pin. Those are TONS of fun...:waah:

2. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

Very nice and compact, :) Cant wait to see this finished.

3. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Alright people!
    Yesterday I got my pins in for the PSU and started cranking, I got all the cables done minus the dreaded 24 pin. I took a few pics that I will put up tonight as im working on the 24 pin.

Had a question though, this PSU has a EMI filter on the power input connector. Would omitting this be bad? I could keep it in line but in the PSU if I needed but id rather just junk it if I can.

4. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Ok I decided to keep the EMI filter. Man was that a PITA to solder onto and get everything the way I wanted it.
    I know im not fancy with my pictures guys but here are some showing whats done with the PSU so far!

At the start of things! I got rid of more than half of the PSU cables.
    [​IMG]

Got the 4 pin and two 6 pin GPU connections done
    [​IMG]

Got the TINY sata cable done and installed the main power cable into the side of the case.
    At this time I was really itching to test the PSU before I got to the 24 pin.
    [​IMG]

Horrible close up with the rubber grommet
    [​IMG]

TINY sata cable
    [​IMG]

SHE LIVES!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for today guys, my kids were up all last night so this daddy is hitting the hay hoping for a better night :thumb:
    Thanks for following!

5. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Ok guys just another tiny update to keep you up to date!

Finished all the cables on the PSU:
    [​IMG]

Oh and the more important question... Does it work?
    [​IMG]

Why yes it does!

And how does this looked all crammed into the case you might ask, its cramped like you wouldnt believe! But it booted and everything works just fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Minor note... That HDD HAS to go! This PC is so slow with it but I can attach a 150gig Raptor and its night and day. Id love to get an SSD for this PC but its not in the cards for now. I know it made a world of difference in my main PC.

Anywho guys whatca think?
    There is plenty more im going to do. Heck the PSU isnt even screwed down in these pics because its all going to have to come out to get the case finished.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Not much more you can do.:D
    -Duct the cpu fan to the hole in the case?

7. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

I did think about that actually. I have to change something because the cpu fan is trying to push out the back but the psu is trying to suck from the center and exhaust under the case.

8. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

What HDD is that? If its a 5400rpm... thats your problem. You can get Intel 40gig X25 SSD 's on eBay for around $40 nearly all day, im using two of them in Carbide. Or for example, here is an 80gig for $80 shipped.

9. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Yea its 5400rpm and it SUCKS.
    I love the fact that I have 640gigs in such a small space but man is this thing slow.
    Ouch 80gigs?! thats kinda small there. I was hoping to put more than just the OS on the SSD. Id love to have it as the only drive in the case. 120gig is about as small as id take for an SSD, and at that price point it might not happen for awhile.

Id love another Kingston HyperX like my desktop! that thing is rock solid and fast to boot. :thumb:

10. Furball Zen

Nah, 40 is even more than enough for full Win7 Ultimate and some programs with plenty of swap file space. You could use the platter for programs or things you don't mind being a bit slower, but with the SSD you wont notice as much of a hit. After 3 years on Win7 with a 250g HDD I still had 80 or so gigs left and that was my main pc.

11. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

I dont know, Even this 640gig is already half full with the OS and games and thats only because I stopped loading games because it was slow. I still have MANY more games id like to put on it.

12. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I feel your pain. I only have a 128GB SSD and I can barely fit anything more on it. I've already got skyrim, hawken and Warframe, plus a music library and a load of pictures etc. I've got so many steam games i'd love to put on it.

I like this Case man. But it's almost.... too small. It's pretty likely that you're going to have some hot parts due to bad airflow.

13. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

I still have to test with the other side panel on but so far its not bad at all. Maybe 55c on the CPU and about 60-65c on the GPU during a game. I hope I dont have to cram another fan in there. Im going for tiny and as quiet as possible. So far its hardly noticeable even with the side off.

Keep in mind those temps are with the CPU fan and PSU fan going in the wrong direction.
    I think once I swap the fan around and maybe put a duct on the rear of the CPU heatsink it should be fine.

14. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

Is the power supply fixed in now then? Or is it just sitting on the bottom of the case?

15. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Its going to be fastened with four 6-32 CSK head screws but for right now its just sitting there because everything is going to have to come out to get painted.

16. Axoxenon

Axoxenon Do it right the first time

Why didnt I get in on this earlier?!
    Looks amazing man! A little late but Im subbing this :thumb:

17. Ulti

Ulti Poor student

Hey there, lovely build! I'm thinking of just crimping my own custom length cables and leaving them unsleeved - I'm going to get the exact same tool as you, how well does it crimp? Did you need to solder the pins to wire or was the crimp strong enough?

18. Furball Zen

Is this going to be your main PC? If not, why not RDP to your main? Then all you need is an OS.

19. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

HECK NO! My main PC is worlds faster than this. This is just some of my old hardware that was sitting on a shelf begging for a case.

These have just been crimped, nothing more and they are strong. The only ones a little dicey are the pins that get 2 wires. For those I use 18 GA for the main wire and 22 GA for the sense wire.

Thanks! I love looking at small builds myself, but even more so scratch builds.

20. Furball Zen

Then, i dont get the problem with not putting all that stuff on it when you can just RDP over to your main and use it for anything intensive?