1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

One Trust I work in has everything locked down. You can't do anything. They argue it's a security issue, but it is absolutely crippling. Another Trust has the opposite approach --almost everything is open for tinkering. People who know what to do, can do it and will do so safely; those who don't know what they're doing are not interested and don't do it anyway. There have never been any security issues. Tells you something.

Thing is: the NHS is full of bright people used to carrying responsibility for people's lives, safety and well being. They really are not going to dick about with mission-critical or patient data processing machines if they aren't really sure what they are doing.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2013
  2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

It's the ones that know just enough to be dangerous that are the problem (those who think they know what they are doing - and don't tell me you haven't met doctors who think they are the smartest people on the planet; self proclaimed instant "experts" compared to the ignorant masses. (mind you, I've met teachers and engineers that were just as bad)) Many / maybe even most are not that way but...

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

4. Nexxo

5. Nexxo

True, dat.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

My company is still transiting from XP to Win7 (and IE6 to IE8) :D

7. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Got my Lumia 920 today and first impressions are that it's amazing. WP8 is a huge step-up from WP7.5, the amount of extra settings available is huge, and it feels much more polished.

An example of a few new setting I've come across are

- Being able to use the Bing backgrounds as my lock screen picture.
    - Being able to download maps for entire regions so that the Maps app and Local Scout can work without a data connection. I just downloaded the maps for the UK, 229MB, not bad.
    - Being able to change the function of the button next to address bar on IE (chose between stop/refresh, favourites, or tabs).
    - Automatic backup to skydrive.
    - Audio equalizer and dolby headphone support.
    - Control over touchscreen sensitivity, as well as options to improve readability in sunlight etc.
    - Battery saver option, which turns off e-mail sync and background running apps etc.
    - More options to customize tiles on the home screen (3 tile sizes).

I'll play some more, and update.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

"leaked" video from Microsoft showing Windows Blue new feature..... in Fresh Paint program by Microsoft. Comes complete with Microsoft curse of not having an issue on stage during a demo.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

10. Nexxo

I wonder if the comparison was with an updated Windows RT device. Performance has significantly improved with the latest updates, to the extent that I cannot tell a difference with Atom devices. But let's see how it compares to Tegra 4: 70% faster performance at 45% better battery life.

Why is the Surface RT not based on Clover Trail? Because when Surface was on the drawing board a year ago, Atom Clover Trail did not yet exist. Windows RT on ARM --at that time, the Tegra 3, caused it to be developed in the first place. Windows RT is not a mistake; it is a necessity to get Intel to pull its finger out.

The people who argue that Atom Clover Trail proves that Windows RT was a mistake are complete idiots (sorry, but they are. They are dumber than a sack of squirrels. They should not be allowed to operate a PC without adult supervision). Microsoft’s fortunes have been tied to Intel’s for a long time; it has slowed it down in many ways (including, of course, tablets). But for the first time, Microsoft is not dependent on Intel anymore. Using the WinRT framework, the applications that are developed are almost entirely compatible across all three architectures: x86, x86-64, and ARM. In that sense, it doesn't even matter to Microsoft which operating system does better. Either one advances their cause. Why would Microsoft suddenly want to jump back in bed with Intel?

Intel has been using the same execrable Atom architecture since its launch five years previous. It was not moved to a complete redesign and development of a capable low-power CPU until Microsoft approached ARM and developed Windows RT, thus threatening to lose them a large chunk of their biggest cash cow. Since Microsoft is no longer tied to Intel, it can sit back and watch the battle for supremacy and not care which chip turns out to be superior. Now we have the Atom Clover Trail, but nVidia has already moved on to Tegra 4. As Intel catches up to that with the Atom Bay Trail, the next, faster, more frugal ARM CPU will already be rolling off the factory line. And the problem with Atom Clover Trail is: the GPU is crap. Even the Tegra 3 outperforms it. So Intel is planning a better GPU for Bay Trail as a result. And perhaps, as a result, Bay Trail will be as great as promised; that's cool. Or the Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 800 ends up being better? That’s great too, because we have an OS for that also. We cannot predict which will be better years down the line, but that does not matter. Both scenarios are covered, and WinRT apps work on both OS's. And that’s a win for the consumer, because the competition between Intel and ARM guarantees us the leanest, fastest, cheapest chip possible.

Make no mistake: the Atom runs on Windows RT.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2013
  11. dullonien

Man, the xBox music group of software (Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8) is driving me nuts. It's handling of metadata is infuriating. I have my entire music collection perfectly tagged (done manually through id3Tag), yet xBox music decides that it is necessary to ignore these and sort my music using what appears to be it's own incorrect information. It splits albums into multiples, with slightly different names. e.g. Our Lady peace - Burn, Burn is displayed as two albums, one named Burn, Burn as it should, and one named Burn Burn missing the comma. One two songs are listed under one, 10 in the other! I've gone back, and changed the metadata back, and it stays for a few mins, and then automatically changes again.

Unfortunately, they have lumped all the metadata, smart dj etc. options into one on/off toggle, so I either have to put up with having incorrect metadata or not having any of the nice effects like artist background pictures or the excellent smart dj feature. This worked flawlessly in Zune, because they had an option to only allow updating of missing metadata.

These programs are a complete mess! I wish I could use my Zune software to manage my Lumia!

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This seams to be a popular complaint.
    I don't see why Microsoft drop the Zune desktop software... just rename it to XBox Music, update it for the WP8, and call it a day. I see why they made a Metro app, to support Windows RT with the phone, but they could have both... at least until the Metro app and Music app is advance enough to replace the Zune desktop software.

13. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I feel you bro.

14. dullonien

I'm giving the Windows Phone desktop app a try to see if it retains the metadata.

I think that most Metro apps suffer from a lack of control. Outlook has option to control just about every aspect of the software, the Mail app has one option only. I understand they are meant to be simple and intuitive, but it just feels like they are solely aimed at the unknowledgeable and dumb.

I feel the same is true for things like limiting the choice of accent colours on WP8 to a pre-set 20. What's wrong with allowing people to pick their own colour? I wasn't going to bother unlocking my Lumia, but little things like this means I probably will when possible.

Overall I still really like WP8, as well as W8, and my Lumia 920 is a joy to use (although I had to soft reset it this morning as it was dead after being on charge for the night), but there are still some flaws that need sorting.

Edit. Thought of a workaround, that will at least allow artist images. I'm going to have to transfer my music across with the metadata option enabled on my Lumia, then when all the artist pics etc. have finished downloading, turn the metadata option off, and manually check for mistakes and manually re-copy those albums over. A bit of a pain, but it'll settle my need for organisation.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2013
  15. Nexxo

http://wmpoweruser.com/quick-tip-ho...ne-playlists-to-your-windows-phone-8-handset/

May be a workaround.

This is the problem with Microsoft: wants to be Apple, behaves like IBM. :p

It needs to function like a dictatorship, not a bureaucracy. Jobs was a visionary, so his dictatorship actually worked. he had a clear vision of how Apple devices should work, and although he made a few bad decisions, by and large he made mostly good ones. Microsoft needs such a visionary, and give him/her total editorial control. Steve Balmer isn't it --he is an accountant, not a visionary. He can run a business, but that business could be canned beans or computers. Hopefully Julie Larson-Green is a bit closer to the mark, but she doesn't strike me as a Steve Jobs.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2013
  16. impar

impar Minimodder

17. dullonien

So the second morning running my Lumia was dead and unresponsive, so I had to soft re-set it again. Longweight, have you experienced similar problems?

From looking online, it's quite a common problem.It could be a conflict with an app, however last night I made sure to close all running apps before going to sleep.

I might have to give Orange a call and get it replaced because it's really annoying. The date and time re-set when I soft re-set, and it doesn't correct itself once on, or at least it hasn't in the past hour. I also use my phone as an alarm, so need it to still be on in the morning.

18. Nexxo

Mashable geek girl has the answer:

Uninstall and re-install Facebook and Skype. The reason whyeth:

19. dullonien

Thanks Nexxo, I'll give that a try.

I'll leave Facebook uninstalled completely and see how it goes tonight. Haven't got Skype installed.

20. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer