1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other CLOSED - Minecraft: YogCraft Server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Byron C, 9 Jul 2012.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Could do it as the first person to red matter wins then... :p

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Opinions vary as to how you're supposed to remove/deal with red matter explosions. Some suggest that anti-matter is the way to do it, but then others say that anti-matter just pushes the wormhole far away; others seem to suggest that you need to set off another red matter bomb and have the two "explosions" come into contact, but the wiki suggests that this doesn't always work and can cause a much bigger and more destructive"explosion". The Voltz and Universal Electricity wikis are very unclear on this, and the command they give to remove it just plain doesn't work (/icbm lag radius_of_effect).

I can push the explosion away with antimatter no problem, but I've never managed to get two red matter "explosions" to collide.

I think for now we'll just see how we get on. It'll hopefully be a *long* time until anyone gets anywhere close to producing enough strange matter for a red matter bomb.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Are we up for this then? Shall we chart our progress on here (in its infinite slowness...)

4. Chris1554

Chris1554 What's a Dremel?

Our server has been on Voltz for a few days and we got bored one night and went really far from our spawn with creative mode on and blew a lot of land up. We tested pretty much every missile and bomb. I was especially fond of red matter bombs:p and to cancel them everytime I would just put an anti-matter bomb next to the Red matter implosion and then set it off. The bomb will get dragged in and cancel the red matter implosion.

This worked 100% of the time for me, you just need to make sure you don't place the anti-matter bomb too close so that it gets sucked in and does nothing. It needs to be placed and activated, it will then get sucked in to the implosion and cancel it.

It all went according to plan until a mate threw A LOT of expulsion grenades inside of it and then the Red Matter implosion started to do a runner! I managed to chase it down and was about to cancel it with anti matter and he did it again! Then I lost it forever. Had to restore our world as the next morning the server was really laggy and we couldn't do anything because the bomb was slowly eating up the world.

Hope that clears a few things up about red matter bombs:p

Voltz is really fun and I hope you enjoy it!

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm up for Voltz... but it'll probably be another few days (maybe even the weekend) before I can launch; I need to get a new server in place first (still not sure whether to go with a full blown VPS [more expensive, but more flexible] or minecraft hosting [cheaper, less flexible], but I want SSDs as a minimum).

I'm going to regenerate the world on the test server and start building a spawnhouse this evening. I did build one offline, but WorldEdit doesn't work in Forge (or with ForgeBukkit/BukkitForge/whatever-its-called) so I can't import it. I (or rather, rob's red matter factory!) had a very bad experience with MCEdit and Tekkit worlds, so I'm not keen to repeat that. Shame, because I'd built quite a fancy underground bunker-type thing...

I've put quite a lot of time (and my own money) into setting up various Minecraft servers over the last year or two, so I don't want to see this ending up like the Tekkit server. Granted I almost had to discontinue it at one point, but that had a really good run to start with; interest tapered off massively and it basically became just three of us playing. If that happens again then I would be tempted to open up the server to all (I'd keep the whitelist, but use some sort of fancy web-enabled stuff such as enjin; I'd need more ops/admins to do that though). I'm already pitching it to friends/family on farcebook.

I might start a new thread though; this one is starting to get a little unwieldy now...!

I've been messing around with them for a couple of days over the weekend. On the whole I can usually fix it using anti-matter bombs, like you describe. But the last time I tried it, the red matter wormhole got sort of stuck in bedrock and wouldn't shift; I even tried clearing all the bedrock from the area, but the damn thing still wouldn't shift!

It'll be a long time before anyone gets one though; I thought RM bombs were crafted with anti-matter, but they're not - they use strange matter. There's only a 2% chance of producing strange matter in particle accelerator collisions! Like Pete said, they're pretty much end-game items; at that point I'll either try to get rid of it or just wipe the world and start again.

Got no problem with anti-matter though; people can feel free to bomb the crap out of each other with that stuff :D.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Man, Mojang really need to pull their finger out with the official modding API. This Bukkit vs. Forge bulls*** serves nothing other than ego inflation and p****ng users/admins off... It's making server management a real pain in the backside; I *need* functionality offered by Bukkit plugins on a Forge-based server, and I really don't give a damn who threw their teddies out of the pram.

Rant over...!

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I just want a proper bunker/hidden fortress personally :p Its a shame red power isn't with it...

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated sooner.

Spawn is now finished, and I think everything is pretty much ready to go...except finding hosting that is! Rather an important part I'd say... :p I think I'd really prefer a VPS for this, so I just need to find something reasonably priced; it needs 2GB RAM at the very least and preferably two cores allocated... Not really a tall order, but I don't want to spend a fortune!

I'm hoping to get a host sorted and get the Voltz server up & running by Sunday at the latest.

I recorded a quick FRAPS vid showing the spawn point earlier, which I'll upload as soon as I can.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Pete wants!!!! :D

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[​IMG]

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I shouldn't doublepost, but screw it...

Spawn area (give it 10/20 mins or so and the 720p version should be available):

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm going to cluster nuke it! :D

13. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

At what point do I have to start paying back my time debt to the universe? With this Voltz server my time deficit will rise further...

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Never, like Greece with its debts! LOLOLOLOLOLOL :p

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I did find a pretty cheap VPS host last night, which offers 4GB RAM for half the price I was looking at for 2GB...! Don't know how long their setup takes, but I'll be signing up today.

Yes, that's one of the things I'm going to test - will WorldGuard protect against the various bombs & explosives in Voltz... Now that I've finally wrangled Forge & Bukkit plugins into playing nicely with each other (though bits of WorldEdit still don't work)

Ditto. Especially as I've just bought SimCity... :wallbash:

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Why would you do that????:eyebrow:

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

...Because I wanted it...? :D

It might not be as detailed as SC4, but I haven't played SimCity in over 15 years and this version is still good fun :).

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've been reading up on it heavily on Rock Paper Shotgun, and for the money I'd want ateast a fully functioning game... Which Simcity isn't I'm afraid :(

19. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I have a feeling I might be detracting from this thread or posting in the entirely wrong section so I apologise in advance.

But could someone recommend a Tekkit Lite host for 4 people? Me and my friends have one running off a spare computer but uptime is an issue.

Thanks

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Take a look at http://www.bestminecrafthosts.com/ - it's a pretty comprehensive list of hosts. Many will support custom server JARs, which you'll probably need if they don't already offer Tekkit Lite. First thing to do though is to check how much RAM your current server uses at peak; my previous tekkit classic server really struggled with about 8/9 players, and it had 2GB RAM.

For the Voltz server I'm setting up I've gone with a VPS, rather than shared hosting. More expensive, but if you know your Linux it's infinitely more flexible.