1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Sub £1,100 Gaming rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Poulter, 24 Mar 2013.

1. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Hey,
    So using the format that you guys came up with:

Budget: £1100

Main uses of intended build: Gaming, LoL/EvE possible bf3

Parts required: Everything - First time build so nothing apart from my mouse can be used

Previous build information (list details of parts): Mouse

Monitor resolution: 1980x1080 - Possible ISP

Storage requirements: 1TB HDD and 128Gb SSD

Will you be overclocking: yes - never done it before, but looking to do so

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): No requirements that i know of

Extra information about desired system: This is the link as to what i came up with for £1100, but i know pretty much nothing about what would work together etc
    http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/7bbd08cf47ef49e783596bf5d2b07dc4
    And i just realised that i don't have a CPU cooler on there, so that might be something else i would need help with
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. postmangav

postmangav What's a Dremel?

You'll definitely need a cooler if you're going to overclock. Another thing to bear in mind is that you haven't added an OS to the basket.

3. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Yep i don't really know where to start when it comes to coolers.
    Oh forgot to add, don't need an OS, currently at Uni and our department gives us Windows 7 for free :D

4. postmangav

postmangav What's a Dremel?

Sweet! Nice little saving there then. The latest edition of custom PC has a cooler test. All budgets from £20 odd to £120. Have a read mate.

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

In the middle of making a Roast dinner/Tea but I'll give sort you out a nice setup. What's your max budget? :)

6. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

If you're only gaming you could go AMD - something like this would be definitely better GPU-wise, and not much worse - if not better in some games - in terms of the CPU. By the way you get free shipping from scan after 20 posts here I think :)

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Right, if you don't plan on upgrading for at least a yr from purchase of this build, then future proofing is needed.

Here goes....

Link to basket.
    [​IMG]

My reasons for choosing such products;

Motherboard - Because it's full of features, and overclocks like a dream.
    Ram - It's fast 2000MHz, low Latency and cheap.
    Graphics card - The 3GB ram will keep you going for a long time, 2GB in modern games even at 1080p are starting to struggle with AA. They OC higher than most. Has a very good cooler which exhaust the heat out of the case, with a high flow bracket. Has a pretty back plate. But most importantly - The warranty is second to none!
    PSU - It's solid, and will keep you going for a long time
    Case - because you choose that, and everyone has different tastes.
    SSD - More than ample for Windows only drive, Very fast and a bargain
    CPU Cooler - Everyone is getting good results from these.
    Monitor - Faster than the Dell U2312HM, uses the same 23"WS LG.Display e-IPS panel, without the overheads of the dell, and it's very cheap!

So all in all, nothing is going to be better than that, at that price range.

Cheers,

Simon.

8. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

This looks really good, I would also be using it for Creo, 3D modelling and simulation, but that's about it. I have to ask, AMD vs Intel, who has the better drivers etc?

9. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Hey,
    Ty so much for the quick reply. This build looks amazing, there are just a few queries. Firstly the graphics, I can understand why this would be a good choice, everyone just seems to be having great results with the msi cooling etc. Also my max budget would have to be £1100, this includes the scansure, as I've never done this before, don't want to break anything :p so without scansure £1050 would be the absolute maximum, any way you'd be able to do a new build for £100 cheaper? :) other than that everything looks amazing. Ty for all your help
    Edit: Quick question, the SSD, is it worth putting games on there or just windows?

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I wouldn't bother with Scan secure. Waste of money IMHO.

I would not bother with a open cooler like on the MSI card. As the heat gets chucked around the rest of the components and heats everything up. By having it exhausted out the back of the case, it keeps everything running cooler. Hence my recommendations on the selected card.

BF3 is the only real game that will benefit from the SSD when loading multiplayer maps. So hence why I've given you a 60GB SSD for Windows only.

I wouldn't change anything on that list I've given you, as for the budget, nothing else will come close.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

The Scan Sure is worth the money if you have not built a pc before etc.

It came in handy one day for me when I bent a pin on the board, simply took the board back and they swapped it straight away for me also when I screwed a screw in to far on a rad.

Can come in handy if you break something, I know most don't need it but I would highly recommend it just for piece of mind.

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would personally spend less on the motherboard, and if you're looking to spend that much on a GPU I think a 7950 would be a better choice.

If you're looking to cut £100 off, both the motherboard and gpu could be brought down a little, are you looking for a matx or atx build?

13. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Yeah the only reason i was going to do the insurance thing, was because i've never done this before, kinda worried that i'll do it wrong. As far as the SSD goes, that makes sense to me, can just run all the games off of the HDD, I can't seem to find a single review for that card, but i guess i'll trust your knowledge :D Will my case be ok for that water cooler, or is there a different one you would recommend, only chose that one as it seems to have really good reviews

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have suggested the Scan Sure to everyone I send to Scan because atleast they will know if they drop or break something that they have some cover.

I have also used it a few times myself, not that it's something I would normally need to use but on the odd occasion that I needed to use it I have and it's gone fine each time.

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

@Poulter - That cooler is fine, and will fit where the 120mm exhaust fan will go.

This picture shows you the RV03 with a older Corsair watercooler. with it installed to the exhaust exit of the case.
    [​IMG]

Also Pete J has his review on the EVGA GTX 660Ti SC edition. (F.T.W are the next one up.)
    See his review here Clicky

16. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Ok that looks awesome, is it easy enough to fix into place? I'm just very nervous about doing all that sort of thing haha.

17. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The build in your first post seems pretty solid. It should work together perfectly. However, you can shave off a few pounds more if you want.

You can swap the graphics card for this (it's a bit slower but noticeably cheaper): http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...z-gddr5-gpu-1000mhz-1280-cores-dp-2x-dvi-hdmi

Or alternatively, a Radeon 7950, which is a bit more expensive but faster.

The motherboard is fine, but so is this one: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...ii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-a

This SSD is bit slower, but a newer model and not a SandForce: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120g...nd-read-530mb-s-write-130mb-s-256mb-cache-85k

The OCZ Agility 3 that was suggested earlier is a really low end model, not recommended.

18. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

If i wasn't to overclock straight away, i don't see the need to right now, would there be anything i could change to make this cheaper?

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Did you see my post? Said several things which you could save money on.

20. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Damn, sorry i overlooked that one, was using my phone... really great for skipping past things. I think i would rather have an ATX, and as much as i want to believe in ATI, i've never really dealt with them before, always been an Nvidia fanboy, so was hoping to stick with them. I think what you said about the mobo is right though, changed it to a cheaper option still Gigabyte. Anything else, what about the case, or is that something i should not change?