1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Midlag Crisis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 18 Jan 2013.

1. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Mmm... Pieces are looking very nice. So, sanding is the fun part of a project, right?

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Was a sweaty part lol, but it's leading to the fun part, I'll try to push myself to get it completed this week.

Really want to get LAG in use ASAP. :D

3. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

Parts are looking amazing, I love how you have experimented with the "anodised" finish, I'm sure you have given lots of other modders inspiration to have a go with similar finishes on their own projects. You've certainly made me want to try it :thumb:

4. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

fixed that for ya :thumb:

Sooooo... How is the victim? :dremel:

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks bio & silicon. :)
    Should see the results of the lacodising next update. :)

Had bad modders block lately but done some.

Depth test.
    I turned that black with blue tint to a green tint, I read adding 10% orange neutralises the blue tint, put too much in, think it would be best to just use 2 or 3 times more black than other colours, reason for the roughness of surfaces is I had 60 pieces in a small pan. :D
    [​IMG]

HDD dock power switch 2mm inner panel.
    [​IMG]

Drill milling the bar it fixes to.
    [​IMG]

Installed & I actually unintentionally used the top panel mount hole with forgetting that's what the hole was for lol so had to add 2 tapped holes either side of it. :D
    [​IMG]

Decided to use a latching vandal switch, just need to wire it.
    [​IMG]

To add the hole for the top panel I took the front panel with bars attached, held the top panel against it & drew the circle with a pencil, cut it out & finished off with my biggest countersinking bit so it could just about pop through & gave it all a rubbing with a satinising pad.
    [​IMG]

Might have to spray paint the aluminium fan panel or leave it raw, should have left sticking the fan on until I actually dyed the piece lol, JB weld is no joke adhesive. :D

Next update should see this project complete, just not been bothering with modding lately so only do a bit now & then, no competitions in mind & no business agenda so what's the rush eh lol. :D

--------
    I keep getting HUAS off & on lately. :lol:

Last edited: 22 Mar 2013
  6. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

fantastic work mate !

7. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Yessssss... Very nice!

8. Asouter

Asouter --------

Nearly complete ? Looking forward to seeing it. I'm glad you have kept going with this even when LAG was put on hold. I know how doing projects that have masses of work can put you off modding for a while. That's why I took a break. Oh and it seems very quiet on bit-tech lately.

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks KoSoVaR & quizz :)

Was hoping to get it complete yesterday but tried something I never really planned on attempting. :D
    Deep thought :D lot of work, I hate polishing acrylic in fact I don't think I enjoy polishing anything, satinising makes awesome sense, nice & quick, suppose trim bits are my limit for polishing. :D

I'm breaking out of the damaged mind set I was getting into now, this project helped a lot on that & so did seeing plenty of good modding going on, had to see a project altogether, been too long & I was giving a sheet about things I don't need to give a sheet about, what I do need to give a sheet about is keeping my sheet together with a good clear focused head so I can mod on with no more bullsheet. :hehe:

Thanks Asouter :D

New update & not the last. :D

Re made the fan spacers & the hoop piece, original spacers weren't long enough & the hoop wasn't wide enough or consistent width, needed 1mm more length, only really found this out when I actually stuck the fan to it, here is how I grind the sides of the spacers I already cut, drilled & tapped from 8mm round bar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assembled it without the hoop piece, not sure but I think I prefer it like this plus it's easier to assemble which is a nice bonus, I think it works for this one with the extra 9mm of layers but on LAG I think I'll keep the hoops in play, this fan frame design has 4 layers with the 4 spacers which hold the hoop in perfect position, this particular one has 7 & is trickier to install the hoop properly but works & looks fine without the hoop. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HDD dock vandal switch will be completed once the lacqodising is done, not got small spade crimps so had to make it permanent with solder.
    [​IMG]

Now then, here's something I've never had the guts to try before but there's no speedier way of learning than just throwing yourself at something, so snip away. :D
    [​IMG]

Dissected a sata cable & joined it back together again, under the first cover is 3 exposed wires resting separated by another shielding, under that shielding is 4 plastic coated wires of the same type, they are really fragile & break really easy, anyway I soldered the 4 double shielded ones together & coated in liquid electrical tape, the other 3 wires were too brittle & kept breaking needing me to expose more to re try so I soldered normal wire to them, applied a couple more coats of LET, let it dry & then coated in JB weld, cut about 150mm excess length off the cable, took a while with having to let the stuff dry, I'll leave the cable for a day before handling it, takes about a day for it to cure well & then it's like good hard plastic, it's done on a portion of the cable which won't have to bend too. :)
    [​IMG]

Then tested to make sure the mobo fits still because I didn't test it after the revised mobo tray, it's good still, about 2 or 3mm space between the mobo & fan lol, need to add a hole for passing power & data cable through.
    [​IMG]

Still another update before final shots, random sata cable mod took some time, gave virtually everything a good rubbing with the satinising pads though so just needs cleaning before applying the lacquer, has to be ultra clean for nicest results. :D

------------
    Drives me nuts here sometimes. :lol:

Last edited: 29 Mar 2013
  10. Asouter

Asouter --------

You're brave with that sata cable, not something I'd tackle that always seem too fidley to me. You'll have to let us know how it turned out. We do give a sheet :hehe:

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Dude what's going on? What cretins have pissed you off this time? We need more metal pron!:waah:

12. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Nice Wayne. Im getting that motherboard too. Works good?

13. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Looking great there Waynio! I did the very same thing with my sata cable for "Shrine". A lot of people told me not to, but it works perfect. Just make sure to leave it well shielded, but it looks good enough there :dremel:

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Something I've wanted to do for ages but always thought it's not such a good idea but seeing The_Gnu & quizz_kid do some sweet custom cables inspired me to give it a try, definitely tricky to do though, the wires are so fragile. :)
    Wonky head moment yet again, I get that when I lose focus. :lol:

What cretins? Me myself & I, rather than ask if I was outcast this time I took a look at MOTY thread, I did a big brain fart of diarrhea inducing proportions. :lol::duh:

As long as I avoid competitions to do with modding I'll be good, it's like I'm allergic to them but they pull me in somehow, just difficult if people say MOTY contender & what not. :hehe:
    Hopefully it's OK to be a modder on here without being in the competitions, they do lower my mental health rather than do anything good for me due to none existent rules, even just viewing them it seems, I have an awesome mind & want it to remain awesome, dropping out of competitions is a tiny price for that. :dremel:

I'll continue to keep my eyes peeled for awesome modding though, still plenty going on. :)

Thanks C4B12, yeah it's a nice one, bought this 2nd one 2nd hand for a little more than half price, nice catch. :)

You inspired me :D something I wanted to do for a while though, just never had the guts to, seeing you & Gnu do some awesome cable modding gave me some inspiration to give it a try. :D

Last edited: 29 Mar 2013
  15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Taking a little break though since my brain is malfunctioning too much, can't go letting my head turn into an ass head lol.
    Once I get back onto it I'll keep moving forward straight from this one to lean & green. :)

I think some gaming is in order, bit of fun, few beers wouldn't go a miss neither & a pizza lol. :hehe:

16. The_Crapman

Whilst the recognition from such things is nice, modding should only ever be for the love of modding. If your modding purely for the recognition of you "peers", you're doing it wrong. So your quite right to ignore them and take a break when you're just not feeling it. That's when mistakes will creep in and days, weeks or even months of work go down the pan.

I haven't done any real work on my project since i dismantled the case for various reasons; a series of hardware failures, lack of money due to other commitments (and replacing failed hardware), but mostly because of a big lack of motivation, especially as the main design feature got thrown out the window due to said hardware failure.

I dismantled the case in my back garden on a nice warm day while sipping a few cold ones.
    That was the first day of the premiership. Almost a whole season later and I'm only just getting to a point where i think I'm happy with the new design and want to start modding again. It will take as long as it will take. To hell with deadlines. It'll probably be finished next time arsenal win a trophy, so a few years yet. :hehe:

P.s. You only have to look at your view count to see how much people like your work. 40k on a quick side project.:thumb:

Last edited: 30 Mar 2013
  17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks for the word crappy appreciated mate :) got it now, my HUAS unofficial politically incorrect medical term for it (head up ahh syndrome) sessions pass much quicker than I anticipate, good thing I'm more awesome than angry or have more yin than yang. :D
    To hell with deadlines:D

I'm going to need a good makeup brush lol.

Kept saying every time I thought I had all I need for doing this I needed something else, down to the fine details now though which will make or break the look.

For applying the lacquer to intricate cut panels like the fan grills the art brushes I've got are too hard so do don't apply it so well for doing the inside edges & any fine surfaces, my big brushes are just too big to do it well, good makeup brushes use ox hair too so ordered 1.

Plus I found to prevent making a big mess from any dripping through to the other side creating a mess on the other side I need to mask up the other side so the little puddle of lacquer forms on the tape & the masking tape should then be carefully removed in no more than 1 clean pull before I speed up the drying with warm air & the only stuff which doesn't contaminate the lacquer is high temperature masking tape, the type used for powder coating or anodising although maybe surface protective film could be as good & a lot cheaper, the type used for storing sheet products in mint condition so like a heavy duty cling film.

So just made the order for 10mm, 25mm, 50mm & 100mm high temp masking tape along with a fine ox hair makeup brush & a roll of surface protective film £67 ouch but this will let me do this, LAG & more beyond, was the high temperature masking tape that cost the most but that will let me do multi tones on panels & the only way I'll do multi tones on inside edges is if I keep things simple so it's easier to do, I'll reserve doing that for anything thicker than 3mm so this project won't be getting multi tone internal edges.

Glad I had this side project to discover any pit falls with laqcodising, already had to sand 2 panels back down to the metal & it's hard work doing that, probably tougher than the aluminium itself it's pretty crazy lol.

Still 1 or maybe even 2 faulty applications on panels to fix but I'm doing nothing more other than fixing those 2 on this project until I get those products so I can safely do the insides also without damaging the look of the outsides, I might make a start back on lean & green because I've got the products coming around the 10th or 11th of April & if I do that I'll be able to seamlessly move back over to doing my main project.

So looking at the 12th or 13th before I can update but I think I've got the application of lacquer mastered which was the difficult bit in mastering this lacqodising which really side tracked my side project lol. :)

18. The_Crapman

Glad to see you back :)

19. Piotrek_PL

Piotrek_PL What's a Dremel?

It's always nice to see such a detailed build! Keep up this good work.

20. Asouter

Asouter --------

Make up brushes are brilliant, I use them all the time ( no not in that way sweetie)