1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony PS4: more details revealed at GDC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 27 Mar 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. enciem

enciem Minimodder

Just get rid of the download, click, click, click ,click, instaaaaaaaaaaaalllll, updaaaaaaaaaate, turned off!!!!

3. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I think I can see few complaints from developers arising with the "play as you download" scheme for the first couple of years, you know how much developers hate to adjust to new things :p

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You have to be pretty damn impatient if you can't wait for it to finish downloading before you start playing. This is classic of this "I want it NOW!" generation. And it is being panda'd to..lame.

And the potential for problems just makes it seem all the more crazy. Why make games more complicated for developers to produce? It will just push up the price in one form or another.

5. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Same controller, the same system playing to same sort of games. Howay some innovation would be nice? Whats that now only downloaded stuff ... whooppeee..... an AMD cpu+gpu chip? great so thats the least powerful chip you could have used. So PC's are still 1 if not 2 generations ahead of the tech these will have. YAWN

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you have innovation, people will brush it off as gimmick. Like every Nintendo gaming console except the first one.. and maybe the second one (SNES) as I was too young to remember.. but the rest without exception, even thaught many redefined gaming as we know it.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That is the greatest malapropism for "pandered" I have ever seen. I envision a big, fluffy panda cuddling someone, rocking back and forth whispering "it's OK, it's all OK, you're absolutely right, you're always right..."
    The SNES was Nintendo's third home console, after the NES and the Color TV Game. (Mate of mine, massive Nintendo nerd, had one - couldn't connect it to his TV, though, 'cos it outputs NTSC-J.) Well, possibly the seventh: there were five entries in the Color TV Game Series, so it depends how you count.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

1) It's not the same controller. Sure, it's a simple evolution of the current model, but just look at how Nintendo are faring with their latest effort to change input methods.

2) Download only? Since when? The PS4 is going to have download and retail games.

3) Yes, it's a poor chip in comparison to an i7 3770K. However, in console terms, it's plenty fast enough. Yes PCs will always be faster, but the PS4 is a powerful package for £350-400.

9. ksyruz

ksyruz What's a Dremel?

The download as you play seems stupid to me as the PS4 will have cloud gaming. So why don't Sony allow to play over cloud while your game downloads. This method would also be simpler to develop.

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Quois? People who buy physical copies still say the same thing as a reason for their purchase. "My Internet is dodgy. I don't want to wait 4 days to play my game."

This is going to be a simple feature really. It will be nothing but a positive step for those gaming, especially on slow connections. There is no Panda-ing(big fluffy bear handy jays? Who's a good boy... ???) going on here (Pandering perhaps).

Oh no! The developers may have to think about what content is available for the initial download... woah is me. I can imagine a scenario where there is skinny assets downloaded that get you through maybe just the online gaming aspect or the first hour of play and then, in the background, the full thing is sourced.

Exactly... and I'd imagine that a PC you buy for £400 on launch day of the PS3 will not outstrip the lifetime of the PS4 game wise. Sure it'll play probably all content turned down to medium settings... but I bet you that by the midpoint in the PS4s lifecycle you'll be wishing you were playing at 1080p on your living room TV plugged into your AV receiver with 7.1, not worrying about turning down the motion blur, AA settings, AF, texture packs and draw distances to lock in some smooth fps.

Let alone whether you've let some moron install 55 useless shovelware a-dvert-pplications on your PC

Last edited: 28 Mar 2013
  11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

The biggest problem with the PS3's downloadable games (and patches) were that they downloaded so slowly no matter what speed your internet connection (with GT5 after you first put the disk in the drive you might as well go and make some popcorn and watch a movie and you'll still have enough time to make a cup of coffee before you'll get to play it).

Patches are the worst as you can't do anything else on the system while it's downloading it (unless you have a PS+ account in which case it'll check daily (at a time you've specified) for new updates and download them).

The one feature I'm not so sure is a good idea is the predictive download where the system starts downloading a game before you've actually bought it.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's going to show comments from other users for every game?

That won't be abused at all..

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Ps vita does this already you can choose if you view or not.

Ps3 has one of the worst wifi connections on the planet, the max speed is so poor on it and its pretty unreliable. My phone has better wifi.

Ps4 better have a decent wifi chip in it if they want download as you play to work.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Why when i read this part

Do i think it going to be able to tell when your giving it a two-fingered salute :blush:

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Anyone want to guess how many 'adult' games are already being made around this feature?

16. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

About the adult game: NONE! $ony never liked that.

Tags: Add Tags