1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Asouter

Asouter --------

That's a good question, I don't have a clue what you'd class average mileage as, I normally go for 6k a year when looking at how much use a bike has had, but if you trawl through the bike classifieds there are 6 year old machines with less than 10k on them. I don't know if this is healthy for a bike (I suspect not) but I would probably go for a lower millage machine

On a side note I've just started a new build which should interest anyone who frequents this thread

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=257946

Ohh and I've stolen the thread name too :eyebrow:

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Same story as a car IMO. 25 years and 30k is not a lot, like 1200 miles a year or something. I'd probably rather buy a bike that's actually been used normally and well serviced though, standing around and then ragging it for a whole day (we all do it :naughty: ) can't be that healthy.

3. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Oh when will this dismal weather end !?! Let me out !!!!

Aaarrrggghhhh !!!

4. Asouter

Asouter --------

Aaarrrggghhhhh x2

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Tell me about it. I've had all of the parts sitting around for the 12k service on the Street Triple but I can't even be bothered to do it yet - the garage is too cold to stay out in for more than 10 mins at a time without hands being too cold to do intricate work, and even if I did do it, the weather's too cold to go riding anyway!

In other news, i've got my eyes on an RSV4 :naughty:

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I was about to call you a girl for not doing your service in 5° weather RTT, but being a shim and bucket adjustment it's pretty bloody fiddly!

Thinking of swapping the Duc?

7. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Nice. I'm still trying to work out what my first bike should be. Now I've got a new job, I can stretch my budget a bit and maybe get finance, but insurance companies are puzzling me now. Stuff like MCE quoting £3500 for an FZS 600 strikes me as a bit ridiculous.

I've also decided now that I don't want a parallel twin 500, All of the old xj600's for sale seem to either be sheds or have non standard parts, or both. And bikes in general seem to be getting more expensive as summer approaches.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

Yep! I doubt any will need adjusting but you never know.

Actually, it went about 6 months ago! I didn't get on with it all that much, as awesome as it was. Had a few niggling electrical issues with it and wasn't using it all that much, so sort of got cold feet a bit and let it go to a new owner.

Easy - Street Triple or an SV650
    and not an ER6 because they're dreadful... sorry ER6 owners!

Good - avoid all of those, they're bollocks. Get yourself something nice. Never buy a bike with your brain*, buy one with your heart :D

*unless it's simply going to be an unloved commuter A-to-B mode of transport

Last edited: 29 Mar 2013
  9. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Or an FZ6?

In other news, I bought panniers!

[​IMG]

fuus likes this.
  10. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Maybe. Isn't yours an XJ6? What's that like? (If it is)

Half of me is worrying that after spending 4 days riding a CG125 a couple of months ago and nothing since, that swinging a leg over a 600 might not be the best idea after all.

Mind you, they seem to do it in the states just fine.

11. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

It is an XJ6, yes. I will say I have very limited experience with regards to comparing bikes, for the simple fact that it's my first bike. I did four days training and tests on a 125 then bought it and hopped straight on.

As a new rider it was (and still is) extremely easy to get on with. It is restricted, so while I can't say how it truly handles, it doesn't hang around. It won't set the world on fire, but it's easier to ride than a 125 as soon as you acknowledge the weight. Very stable at any speed, predictable in corners, brakes are good but not enough to do yourself a mischief, it's comfortable...the list goes on. It's very much the all-rounder bike, it doesn't excel at anything but it takes everything in its stride.

I get my full unrestricted license in less than three weeks, will be able to find out what it can really do! :D

Reason I mentioned the FZ6 is because it was the spiritual predecessor to the XJ6. The XJ6 only came out in 2009 so it's not necessarily going to be particularly cheap in comparison to an FZ6 you could find.

fuus likes this.
  12. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Maybe so, My budget stretches probably to a nice-er FZS than an S2. My goal for the next few days (If I don't get a sudden call from work) is to head round a few dealers, have a sit on a few bikes, especially an SV650. Insurance for one of those seems to be less than 1/2 the insurance for an old FZS, not to mention that the SV looks a bit more modern, and generally is- 2k is looking like a 2003, facelift SV, or a 1999 FZS with higher mileage- The FZS just looks older than an SV. I'm not even sure what I could budget with finance at the moment. It's a bit of a shock to my system to suddenly be working more, yes, but earning 5x the amount I was before has put a play on things.

13. RTT

RTT #parp

SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650 SV650

Did i mention SV650?

SV650

:read:

fuus likes this.
  14. dieharder

dieharder What's a Dremel?

I am getting ready to go on a bike ride with my mate for a 2 degrees outside getting warmer to 5 degrees. later on this year i might get winterboots :D

I would have to agree with RTT, They are cheap you can have it for two year and then boom your insurance drops with 2 years no claims. Easy to maintain Nice conformity position. Also When you drop it and almost everyone drops then, it you wont feel to bad.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This sums it up. It is almost never worth claiming (except for 3rd parties, when you manage to be the at-fault party in a collision with a £500k sports car), because your premium will just go nuts for years to come.

Funnily enough, you're not the first person to say this to me on the subject of first big bikes. In fact, you're approximately the 800th person to say it :D

Maybe the SV650 is worth a look. I dunno, though, the ER6 is pretty pimp. Especially in dayglow yellow.

trollface.jpg

fuus likes this.
  16. RTT

RTT #parp

There is no 'maybe' about it :D Trust me and the 799 others. V-twin (the best engines ever), virtually indestructible, bags of character, a chassis that'll reward you as you grow into it, upgradable if you want to, consumables & spares are readily available for about 99p on ebay... I could go on. Just do it, it makes so much sense!

17. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I disagree on that point. CBX1000. Unless you're talking practicality.

18. Asouter

Asouter --------

V twins all the way, exception is the rsv4 wonderful bike, live out your motogp fantasies :thumb:

19. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

lol RTT... didn't realise you hate ER6s so much :p

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I don't know much about it, but the ER6 is basically a road-adapted superbike, right? With all the high maintenance and steep learning curve problems which that implies?

All I know for sure is, they look sexy. Not saying I'd buy one fresh off my DAS, but they do look sexy...