1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Cosmos Cruizer - Final Pics!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 26 Jul 2012.

1. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Sweet progress. Keep it coming.

2. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Thanks Nutman!

So I'm taking a breather from all the sanding and filling on the side panel, to do a little foam shaping for the top panel. I think I love this part the most, creating a shape totally from scratch. :)

I cut four strips off the main sheet of foam and glued them together, making a solid block that fits in between the two side panels.
    [​IMG]

Then I started shaving material off to get down to the basic shape I'm looking for. I want it to follow the contours of the side panels and raise up a bit more in the center to make room for the 420mm EK radiator and fans underneath.
    [​IMG]

Starting to take shape now.
    [​IMG]

The front of the top panel will have a dashboard hood feel over the lcd screen, which will display EVGA's Precision overclocking utility.
    [​IMG]

A shot of the other side.
    [​IMG]

Next I'll be relocating the top bars over the radiator, mounted parallel to each other. The new top panel design will need to accommodate the bars on both ends, so I'll have to work that into the foam as well.

3. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Nice. MOAR please.

4. Nutman

I don't understand why more people don't follow or comment on this thread.
    Besides the pure awesomeness of this build, your reputation ought to draw in quite a few people, but it surely doesn't look like it in this case. Makes me ponder on life 'n stuff.....

5. CMos

CMos What's a Dremel?

I for one think this is going to be awesome and eagerly await every update!!

6. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Someone should give CERN a call... sure they would love to take this up :D

Brilliant work as always Brian!

7. dreps

dreps Minimodder

was checking this but not subbed for sure so I don't miss a thing :p

8. Boddaker

Hehe thanks guys. I know you're there, I can hear you breathing! :p

Got the top bars modded and relocated last night. :)

Since the bars would be mounted straight up, I had to get rid of the angled flat ends.
    [​IMG]

After filing the ends, I drilled and tapped them to accept an 8-32 socket screw.
    [​IMG]

I placed the bars onto the case and adjusted their height with wood blocks until I got them where I wanted them. Then I whipped up a couple mounting brackets from 1/4" flat bar stock. This case will be quite heavy and these bars will need to support the weight, so merely attaching them straight down into the case's top panel wouldn't be prudent, especially now with the 420 rad cutout. These mounting brackets will distribute the lifting forces across to both sides where the case frame is stronger.
    [​IMG]

Here are the top bars mounted to the brackets.
    [​IMG]

A close up shot of the front bracket. I still need to secure them to the case frame.
    [​IMG]

Once I got the positioning of the bars, I used cardboard templates to mark the ends, then transferred those markings over to the foam piece and cut the holes.
    [​IMG]

A look-see from the front.
    [​IMG]

The bars are not completely parallel to each other. I widened the spacing more at the front to go along with the overall look of the case.
    [​IMG]

Here's a quick wide shot of the whole case from the side.
    [​IMG]

Now that the bars are in place, I can continue shaping the foam, adding some contours down the center and working around the bar ends. If all goes well this weekend, I might actually get the foam fiberglass-ready. :)

9. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Coming along very nice !
    I love that you have centered the handle bars like that :)
    You have a lot of sanding to do :p!

10. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Starting to look like a hole different case now :D

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

This is gonna look saweeeeet, nice to see it vavavooming on. :):dremel:

12. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

:thumb: Very nice.

13. Boddaker

Thanks KoSoVaR, and yes, lots of sanding! :thumb:

Thank you C4B12. I don't think there will be a stock panel left on this case that hasn't been modified, if not removed altogether. But you will still be able to recognize it as a cosmos II.

Thanks Wayne! It's great to finally have some decent progress on this. Have to keep up the momentum now.

Thank you wahoo.

-----------------------------------------------------

Just a quick update... Got the surface smoothed out, and added a depression in the center which will be under the bars, and that will continue on down to the back panel.
    [​IMG]

Just for fun I set the bars back in place and tossed on the oval decorative pieces for a look-see. I happened across those at the local auto parts store in the dressup section. :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Ok back to it...

14. Boddaker

More progress on the top panel, getting some primer on it after much sanding and bondo...

[​IMG]

I know it's only one picture, but it pretty much sums up the work done thus far. That, and I gotta post something to get my log back on the first page. ;-)

Oh, and Happy Easter! :D

Last edited: 31 Mar 2013
  15. Nutman

Lookin' good. It'll be a big job to make it all smooth, but I know you're THE man for that job. ;)

16. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Oh man, I can't wait for final resuld. Please, MOAR pics.

17. Boddaker

Thanks Nutman. Yeah, this was the first coat of primer and I can now see where it needs more attention. One or two more coats of the filler primer, with some sanding in between should do it, then I can make the mold. :)

Thank you Pranja! Moar pics are forthcoming. I haven't been just sitting on my arse doing nothing while the bondo was curing ya know! I was getting a head start on the front grill. :naughty:

18. Dragulax99

Dragulax99 What's a Dremel?

amazing ...amazing ....what a mod ...i check this one daily

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Sounds good. :D

20. Boddaker

Still working on the top panel, but it's been in a holding pattern until I can get a good dry weekend to do some fiberglassing. (which might actually be this weekend <crosses fingers> ). In the mean time, I've been skipping ahead to the front grill. So here is some of that progress:

Using 1 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar, I cut 18 pieces down to size. This is the first half.
    [​IMG]

Next I started rounding the bottoms to match the curve of the side panels.
    [​IMG]

The cutting is followed by the filing.
    [​IMG]

All 18 pieces rounded. A bit more work is needed to get them all the same.
    [​IMG]

Next step is to drill mounting holes through all pieces. I wanted the grill to come out more in the center, so I staggered each piece by 3/16" before drilling. I double and triple-checked the spacing, and made sure the pieces were square at the bottom before clamping them together.
    [​IMG]

the 3/16" offset was about the max I could go, leaving me with a 1/4" between the hole and the edges of each end piece.
    [​IMG]

Half of the grill done, with temporary acrylic spacers added just to see how it looks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks pretty good, now to do the other side. You can also see my badass cardboard mockup of the front bezel where the lcd screen, fan controller, and key switch will go.
    [​IMG]

Repeated the same process for the other side, and assembled all together. I love the stepping!
    [​IMG]

And finally, a shot of the whole thing in place.
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to get the top edges done, and the whole thing polished up. It's gonna look shaweet! :)