1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google and Mozilla announce new web engines

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Apr 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. derviansoul

derviansoul What's a Dremel?

The most interesting news to me in this article the language rust:p. Never heard of it before.

i had a look in their website and it seems a nice extension to C.

3. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Opera is not yet a WebKit browser. On the desktop, they haven't announced a date or version when it will be WebKit. In mobile, they just released a version 14 beta (calling the change so huge they're skipping version 13 altogether) that is the first public WebKit release.

Additionally, Opera already announced they're along with Google for the ride, and will become a Blink browser.

C'mon, Gareth, you're asleep at the wheel!

That aside, I don't like this much at all - Google's all flowers and poetry about it now, but they're obviously not to be trusted. The way WebKit is licensed, there's nothing stopping them from closing it off later. Or deciding it isn't profitable and ditching it altogether.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But they're becoming a WebKit browser; what they are now doesn't really matter, as they've officially stopped all work on their existing engine.
    They hadn't at the time of writing.

5. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Hmm, how about Firefox OS, is it worth a try?

6. fluxtatic

Even that isn't true, given the news below, but the way it's written, you're tossing Opera's (admittedly tiny) market share in with WebKit, which is not and won't be the case. They are not, in fact, becoming a WebKit browser.

[/QUOTE]

Given timezones/deadlines/etc, I don't think there's any proving wrong one way or the other...I just don't like to see coverage slipping on bit-tech, and the story was as much as there the morning of 4/3 on other sites.

7. Gareth Halfacree

No, they're becoming a Blink browser now - a fact that the company had not announced when the story was written. However, Blink is a fork of WebKit, so it's still not inaccurate: like Ubuntu is a fork of Debian, Blink is a fork of WebKit (which, in turn, is technically a fork of KHTML.) Even without Opera's market share, WebKit is still the majority rendering engine: the presence or absence of Opera in no way changes the accuracy of that section of the story. Feel free to look up the precise figures yourself, if you don't trust me.

Beg pardon? I can't seem to parse that sentence.

EDIT: Point of fact, Opera hasn't officially announced that it's moving to Blink. The earliest comment I can find is on a TNW story attributed to an unnamed spokesperson at the company, while both its official press portal and developer portal are silent on the matter. I'm not saying it's not moving to Blink, 'cos it clearly is, but it's hardly been shouting from the rooftops about it, has it?

Last edited: 5 Apr 2013
  8. fluxtatic

As far as market share, depends on who's numbers you trust. Worldwide combined, IE has 49.2%, with Chrome and Safari coming in at 26.46% together. Mobile-only, WK is crushing everyone else, with at least 85%. All according to Net Marketshare. Other companies have a different mix and different methods, of course.

And I'll cop to actually having contradicted myself between the two comments...and Opera's not exactly being clear, either. They will apparently spend some time as an unforked WK browser in mobile at least, since I doubt they'd waste the time releasing a beta on WK, which they've already done.

'as much as there' meaning while Opera hasn't exactly announced it explicitly, it's a reasonable assumption, given that the original announcement back in February was that they were going with Chromium, rather than the underlying WK engine itself. If the anonymous quote is legit, they may not, since the person says it makes no difference anyway.

At any rate, my original point remains - Opera's numbers don't belong tossed in with WK, even though the combined marketshare (desktop and mobile Opera, that is) would still be practically within the margin of error.

And WK isn't yet majority combined, quite - until mobile has truly destroyed the desktop market or Mozilla gives up and tosses in with WK, too, it'll be IE, sadly (although I'll give it up for MS for finally starting to improve IE)...depending on who's numbers you trust, of course.

Either way, WK or Blink, I'm not entirely thrilled to see Opera go this way...I just hope they remain the browser the other vendors get their good ideas from. Too bad they didn't just release Presto as open-source and see if things might go the other way.