1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Margaret Thatcher Dies

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-23315, 8 Apr 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddie543

eddie543 Snake eyes

I'll actually post something more on topic first.

What I've just thought and found confusing is people celebrating her death at such an old age, if that is a victory or revenge then it would be a hollow one as it is a fate we all face. It's not as if she's in power or anything.

More specific as to your point?

Asouter likes this.
  2. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Lol, you mean if there were any unions left , or any industry for that matter.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

You Marmite be onto something there Porkins.

Porkins' Wingman likes this.
  4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I don't celebrate her death, or anybody's death for that matter. Death isn't a pleasant thing, and quite frankly, until you've walked up to your first corpse (and in my case, certified death) I don't think people quite understand how it can be.

Yet I disliked the woman, and the policies she stood for. However, policy does not make the person, and she has been uninvolved in government for a long time, to the point where it no longer mattered if she was alive or not.

5. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Indeed.

Those 'celebrating' look like idiots, especially so long after her time in office or political influence. Question the policies the govt she led pursued. But of the person, De mortuis nihil nisi bonum “Of the dead, nothing[spoken] unless good, seems like a good rule.

6. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

:nono: ..I see PR Dave has you hook, line and sinker.

The red box is when Scratcher was PM.
    At no time in her reign did she register an improvement on her starting point.
    In fact the two largest peaks occurred under a Tory government.
    All the best parts of the graph are non-tory governments.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Apr 2013
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, right with you there - Hitler was a total dream, and Stalin loved his mother. /Sarcasm

Godwin, I invoke thee

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Everyone seemed to have a hard-on for Pol Pot too.

Teelzebub likes this.
  9. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Lol. Point taken.

Btw, I don't care for her or her party's politics at all. Although, afaik, unlike those you mention she never engaged in mass murder.

10. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Unemployment isnt the only factor to understand.

Also, note that all the parts are Tory, are when a recession is occurring and unemployment and recession go hand in hand.

Now lets think what caused the recession, could it possibly be Labour over-spending with no real formula for afterwards? Or leaving the country in a sorry state.

Also I was studying all of this during the last labour government, so don't come up with the general PR crap.

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Or could it be the privatization of public assets, and deregulation of financial institutions, per the Laissez Faire economic theory she put in to practice, finally caught up with the country?

[​IMG]

12. eddie543

eddie543 Snake eyes

When labour left in 1979 there had been over spend, high inflation and too much union power. Some of this needed to be curtailed. Also oil shocks had their part to play in the 70s as well. From labour to thatcher it was just one extreme to another. The early 80s recession, largely caused by public sector cuts and so forth and monetary tightening, wasn't necessarily the main driver behind the mass unemployment. (also the cuts weren't as damaging as those we have now to our long term economic prospects due to us being in a liquidity trap as opposed to the 70s where public spending was crowding out private sector growth).

Large scale labour market de regulation led to more labour market flexibility meaning companies could hire and fire easier and also wage bargaining was diminished on the employee side. The increase in unemployment lasted well into the late 80s and it was not excusable to hold such a high rate of unemployment for so long because of a mess left by labour. Also there was a large structural problem with the move from industries in terms of labour market skills as we moved to a more service sector based economy.

The sheer loss of human potential caused by that boom in unemployment is still felt today as many never left it properly or if they did they didn't achieve as well as those in a better employment market.

In the recent recession the increase in the deficit by labour happened mainly as a result of the recession and didn't precede in any major way. As a result of decreased tax receipts and increased welfare spending and also on top of this stimulus and tax cuts etc.

Unfortunately the Tories have got it in their head that the deficit needed cutting immediately and have started to hit a wall because of negative multiplier effects of their cuts and the killing of consumer and business confidence. And what is both upsetting an hilarious is that for every year they have been working towards reducing the debt to GDP ratio they have had to extend their plans another year originally 2015-16(2010-11) 2016-17 (2011-2012) now 2017-2018 (2012-2013). And that's by their own and continuously inaccurate predictions.

13. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I grew up during Thatcher's time in charge and watched a the local economy collapsed, as factories were closed and communities run into the ground only to be further blighted by 'poll tax'. The recovery took years and only really began with Labour back in power. I didn't agree with Tony Blair or Brown on everything but they got a lot right. Unfortunately, despite Thatcher's departure from power the delusion that the Market corrects all, that privatisation and competition bring savings (the true cost of privatised projects is just starting to becme clear and it is far more than anyone involved would care to admit), that listening to others and discussion is a waste of time, that ideology is more important than doing what is right, and that community is a worthless archaic concept, still remain as popular political ideas and deep unhealing wounds in my country. When these ideas die I'll celebrate.

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The unions killed UK manufacturing by disruptive, noncompetitive practices and driving wages up. Yes, thats right, driving wages up. The short term gain drove industry over seas and significantly increased our cost of living. Maggie pulled the plug on dieing industries on tax payer funded life support, which was, imo, the correct thing to do. The lack of a plan for supporting the communities affected though was deplorable.

Foe me the worst legacy she left is one of the policies most people like, the right to buy scheme. Political ideology kick started the national obsession with home ownership and has caused a cycle of growing property bubbles,

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Kinda reminds me of California.

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Her biggest success was Blair and Brown who went about and changed NOTHING she did. Then the changes they did make went on and bankrupt this country today. Our back bone and financial security was sold to the lowest bidder then Blair left with the takings in his back pocket and left Brown with the bill. I'm sorry but breaking up the trade union terrorists was the best thing she ever did and the beauty of it was, they did it to themselves. She didn't have to do anything as they were too incompetent to organise themselves. The opposition at that time was none existent, pretty much like today but let's not forget the country at the time which according to most here hated her but still voted her in 3 TIMES! She was UNDEFEATED all her life and still is today.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Other things apart, how did he manage that? Cut a nice fat cheque out of the treasury?

18. walle

walle Minimodder

I hear you, automatons who receive their daily update whilst worshiping their phones and the latest iphone application are rather taxing.

Lights are on but nobody's home. :(

19. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Yes, unemployment is not the only factor, but its probably the most important factor when gauging the health of a national economy.

Again your just regurgitating PR Dave's excuses as to why their plan for economic recovery has been a complete failure. ..Remember they did not win the last election by blaming Labour, they said they would sort out the mess & they have not.

No, it was more likely the fire sale of public assets leaving the UK government with no real income other than tax(which was low because of high unemployment). It like having a machine that prints money and creates golden eggs from nothing ...and then selling it, even an idiot can see how stupid that it. ...THIS IS THE REAL REASON WHY WE ARE IN DEBT NOW.

And also trying to shift the country's main earner from manufacturing to financial services was(& is) a colossal disaster for the UK economy.

And, as you can see from the graph I posted even though Blair spent more on public services, new labour did not cause anywhere near the same level of unemployment.

If you studied like you say, then provide some solid evidence for your argument instead of just regurgitating Tory myth & legend straight from the chesterfield filled rooms of the Bullindon club.

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

edit: Ignore.. can't be bothered to comment...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.