1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other CLOSED - Minecraft: YogCraft Server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Byron C, 9 Jul 2012.

1. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Where is everyone? I was on for a while last night and no-one was online, and today the server was empty as well!

On the plus side my particle accelerator is working very well, but I will soon need to exchange my uraninite into nuclear explosives... Would a trade be the best thing BLC? Or perhaps an exchange where I leave the uraninite, and you take that and put nuclear explosives in it's place? Or of course get villager trading working.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Course work...

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I've been about; popped in yesterday afternoon after work to check whether you lot had discovered me and blown me up yet... :D I've started experimenting with live streaming via twitch.tv, hence why I didn't show up in the evening...

Right... Nukes... As far as I know, everything in the "nuclear chain" is working; it's changed somewhat recently in that the uraninite will turn into yellowcake (can't remember which machine does this, maybe the chemical extractor?), which you put into a nuclear boilder to make uranium hexafluoride gas, which is turned into uranium 235 or 238 by a machine directly adjacent to the boiler - I forget which machine, but it might be the centrifuge...

The problem however is that neither the nuclear boiler nor the nuclear explosives have a crafting recipe... What I want to try and do is set up a villager trade which needs the crafting ingredients for each "missing" item. The problem with that is that: I don't know what the required ingredients are, so I'll have to come up with a recipe; and that I don't know how many items can be used as an "input" in villager trading, I've only ever seen one or two used... In terms of the materials required, this is what I suggest:

Nuclear Boiler:
    • 4x Bronze Plates
    • 4x Advanced Circuits
    • 1x Steel Block (Open to suggestions on this component!)

Nuclear Explosive:
    • Whatever the old recipe was, but substitute the uranium "puck" for U238 or U235

If the custom villager trading doesn't work then I'll have to come up with something else... I'd like to keep it so that you have to trade the materials that you would need (or are likely to need) in order to actually make the item; I don't just want to say "10 diamonds per nuke" or something, but I might have to...

4. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I've just updated the first post on the Minecraft Official Bit-tech thread, can anyone confirm if I have missed any details / available servers?

I'd like to get back into playing with a good group of frequent-players, just like the old days but has that ship already sailed?

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not from my point of view. I may be changing hosts soon - the current one has some serious lag for UK players - so the IP may change, but that'll be a few weeks away yet.

To be honest, after Tekkit died a death and I decided to retire it I had a lot of reservations in getting another minecraft server going. Someone mentioned a while back in the main minecraft thread that there seemed to be a split in the bit-tech minecraft community (small as that may be now) and I don't want to be seen to be driving that split.

I like playing Minecraft, but I also like the mods that people have come up with and I can still use the vanilla content in a modded server (I've been enchanting the bejesus out of some of my tools, for example, and I want to try and summon a wither boss at some point). Personally I'm not sure I'd want to use only vanilla servers; if you've been playing Minecraft a while you can master the vanilla game pretty quickly, so I'd want more challenges like mob arenas, adventure dungeons, etc. Without that it just becomes a creative tool for building things, and trying to play the survival game as if it were creative is just painful; want to build everything with stone bricks? Well off you go to smelt an epic amount of cobble stacks... Not only that, but I really want to play things like Voltz, Yogcraft, Feed the Beast, etc - there's always something else you can do, and things like RedPower or IndustrialCraft take away an awful lot of the grind.

I don't know what the answer is, and frankly I'm not even sure it's possible to have one solution that everyone is happy with. Modded servers mean modded clients and, even though most launchers need very little effort these days, some people just don't want to maintain two different versions of what is essentially the same game.

At the moment it's mostly Pete, Rob & I that use the Voltz server, though we do see Malvolio now and then (he's probably there more than I realise, what with his weird timezones ;) ) and Aux occasionally pops his head in. Tekkit got fairly busy in its early days, but I think that might have been novelty value more than anything else. I'd like more players so I am thinking of taking Voltz "public" at some point in the future, but it'll be a long way down the line if that ever happens. If I can at least get a stable configuration that works with the plugins I want then I'll be happy!

6. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I'll have a look into Voltz tonight, if I can get it up and running I may be able to provide a hosting solution...

I've just started hosting a few minecraft servers, a few creative and a private white-listed survival. From talking with the players of the creative servers they are yearning for modded survival versions for the expansion they provide, so I ought to look into how to install them.

What is the split in the Minecraft players? Vanilla Survival vs Voltz/ Tekkit Mod? I'm sure we can cater for all?

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think it should be elite circuits, as this is highest tier gear after all...

8. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I don't know if it helps - but it is possible to offer a pre configured mod pack without violating the terms of Minecraft.

Create an instance in MultiMC and delete the bin folder from the instance. MultiMC will redownload the binaries from Mojang and patch in the mods afterwards.

Also if you need a new server I might be able to offer one with 4 GB of RAM.

9. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Wha...! And making 94 stacks of bronze, 47 stacks of steel and various other materials doesn't count as a grind? I admit, EE gets rid of the grind completely (more grinding of server hard disks when 15,000 diamonds spew out of a pipe), but the other mods in Tekkit and the Voltz pack certainly encourage mining for materials.

I enjoy mod packs for the same reason that BLC pointed out - I have progressed through all of vanilla Minecraft, so now the game feels like creative. The same is true of mod packs when you get to higher tiers, and this was the ultimate reason why the Tekkit server died. We all had red matter, EMC farms, and too many solar panels, so interest waned. Voltz is something new - it's not perfect, but it gives a fresh breath of air for the game.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I wasn't sure whether to go with elite or advanced, but this makes sense. It's not only high-tier stuff, it's also stuff that leads you down the road towards the most powerful weapons. And you & Rob must be stockpiling antimatter by now...! :)

Packs like Voltz, Tekkit Lite, FTB, Yogcraft, etc, are all essentially server jar files modded with Forge, so in theory it's not too difficult to support them. The sticking point is whether your web control panel needs a bukkit plugin - bukkit/craftbukkit is also a modded server jar, and inherantly incompatible with a forge-modded server jar... There are projects working on integrating the bukkit/craftbukkit API into a forge-compatible mod, but my experience of them is that they're somewhat fussy...

EDIT: As to a "split" in players, to be honest I think it just comes down to whether you prefer vanilla or whether you get a bit bored by vanilla... I can see how things like Voltz would put people off due to the increased complexity - especially when we start talking about building fusion reactors and particle accelerators!

MultiMC is a handy tool, but most of the "big" modpacks like Technic or FTB essentially do the same thing: retrieve the latest version of minecraft and the mods, then do all the patching automatically. They also keep the modded client in a separate directory to the vanilla minecraft directory...

The problem is when it comes to multiplayer... The ideal solution is to have everyone on the same server using different worlds for different game styles. The problem is that a modified server and client cannot co-exist in the same instance, even if instead of multiple worlds you use a plugin that warps you to another server. If I was playing on a vanilla world or server and wanted to jump into a modpack, I can't just hop into a custom portal and get to the modpack world - you'd have to shut down the vanilla client and load the modded client. It's possible to just have everyone use a modded client in the first place and have a separate world where only vanilla items can be used, but that also creates it's own headaches. Firstly everyone still has to use the modded client, and I can say from experience that it is a hell of a lot of work for the server admin. You have to disable the mod items/blocks on a per-world basis using plugins and permissions, and then extensively test your config to make sure that no-one can bypass the restrictions. This is why I'm starting to think that you simply can't keep everyone on bit-tech who wants to play Minecraft - in one form or another - on the same server and in the same place

And cheers for the offer of hosting, both; I'll probably contact you both via pm in a week or so. I'd actually already lined up Get-Sourced as my next host; I used them for the original tekkit and I had good results with a trial of their SSD-based service. Having competition is no bad thing though :).

Yes it's still grind, but you still have things like the tunnel bore, steel tools (faster than iron), obsidian tools (faster than diamond) and the power tool (faster than obsidian) available to you :). Can you imagine mining the materials for a particle accelerator with just a diamond pick?! It'd take an age! Plus if you ever get lost underground you can just use a jetpack to dig straight up to the surface and fly back :). Hell even the waypoints make things a lot easier, and they're relatively mundane in terms of mods used in Voltz...

11. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Well, I certainly am stockpiling antimatter. I don't know the stage of Pete's development though, but I expect he's aiming for similar goals (although building a particle accelerator takes an age). Either elite circuits or advanced circuits are fine for me - I actually find the step from basic to advanced circuits to be large with the diamond requirement, but advanced to elite quite small, since I have loads of gold and lapiz. Oh, and steel block, definitely.

Why is an SSD-based server a requirement? If you have a VPS, then surely a Ramdisk would be a better solution? RAM is cheap compared to SSDs, and it would be faster. Although, if the current server is HDD based, then I don't see any problems just keeping that, since all of the lag issues we have been seeing is due to the Atlantic L3 connection, rather than a server problem.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The requirement is fast disk read/writes, as Minecraft does tend to thrash a server's hard drive. A RAM disk is an ideal solution, but when you're paying for hosting SSD costs are vastly cheaper per GB than using RAM for storage. Once you start getting over 6GB or so it tends to get pretty damn pricey...

The current host does use SSDs.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I haven't even started on a PA, but my MFFS is basically ready ;)

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Right, on the subject of nukes and missing crafting recipes... Basically I can do this with custom villager trades, but there are a couple of caveats.

Firstly, villager trading only accepts two item types as the "input" for the trade.

The nuclear explosive will be no problem, as that only uses two item types anyway - thermobaric explosives and uranium 235 (well..the old recipe used the old-style enriched uranium, but that's been replaced by 2 different types now: U235 for fuel, and U238 for breeder breeding spend fuel rods). The other issue with only having two "inputs" is that I'll have to change the "trading recipe" for the nuclear boiler, since what I originally proposed uses three item types. Instead of a steel block, how about another elite circuit? (so 4 bronze plates and 5 elite circuits in total) That seems suitably "expensive" to me.

The second caveat is that I need to use MCEdit to do this, as far as I can tell.

That itself isn't a problem, but MCEdit does not like worlds with custom blocks... When I tested this, all the non-vanilla ores in the chunks loaded by MCEdit got turned into ender chests (wtf?!). That's not necessarily a problem, because it'll be at spawn and I'd rather people didn't mine at spawn! The problem with all those ender chests is that it turned my framerate into a slideshow! Literally, I went from 70+fps to 8/9FPS after loading the file in MCEdit - and this was a brand-new world file generated in SP...

If I can find a way to do this without using MCEdit - I think there may be some plugins, but I don't know if they'll work with Voltz - then it's game on. If not, I'm going to have to do some heavy editing in MCEdit to get rid of all the ender chests it generates, and it runs the risk of causing problems for modded blocks in the area; basically it'll get quite messy and I don't want a repeat of the "Tekkit EMC Farm Obliteration" incident...!

15. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

You could let MCEdit do it's thing, then replace all ender chests with something mundane like stone?

Or, you could do some low-down NBT hacking. Get NBTExplorer, then 'open' the world folder with it. Now go Search -> Find, and find a tag with a name of 'Offers'. I'm sure you can work out what needs to happen at this point - changing the item IDs and damage values to match the items.

Funnily enough, I actually built an NBT encoder/decoder in Lua to run in CC with a friend recently. It was an interesting project.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's exactly what I plan to do...

That's another option, but I'm not sure it'll allow you to do it on a per-entity basis - I don't want to change *all* villager trades, just some specific villager entities.

I don't doubt it...! :p

17. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Actually, it will. You have to manually find the villager you want to change, which may be a hassle, but you can individually customize each villager's trade.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

19. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Holy crap that was easy...

You can now get nuclear boilers and nuclear explosives from NPCs in the spawn point. I'm not letting you bypass the process of refining the uraninite before you get to nuclear explosives though :D.

I'll update the OP shortly.