1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other CLOSED - Minecraft: YogCraft Server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Byron C, 9 Jul 2012.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Sorry I've not been on much lately, but for some reason I physically cannot get into a Voltz game. Single player, multiplayer, doesn't matter, just crashes the moment a world loads. Other mods work, vanilla works, but not Voltz. Tried deleting all data, redownloading everything, multiple builds, updating Java, reinstalling Java, different builds of Java. I've even tried writing the Voltz mod client a decidedly sternly worded letter, but nothing works: still just keeps crashing the moment a world loads.

Might be some time before I get back onto the server I guess...

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Just before I forget... I've been having the exact same problem and turning off update notifications for mekanism fixed it. Seems quite a common problem - as soon as the world loads you're booted to a crash screen.

Open %appdata%\.technic\voltz\config and find mekanism's config file (mekanism.cfg? Not sure, on my tablet at the mo!). Somewhere in there is an option for update notifications (can't remember the exact setting - on my tablet! :)), so just set it to false.

3. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I was getting this problem yesterday, and I was about to post here on the solution, but then BLC joined the server and so I thought the problem might just be with me. Go to [voltz-root]/config/Mekanism.cfg, and change B:UpdateNotifications under general to false.

4. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Thank you guys. I'll give those a look.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Hello all

Firstly, a quick update. Superconductor wires are broken; the wire mill simply won't make wires from ingots... Therefore I've set up two more custom villager trades at spawn: one will take your superconductor ingots and give you three un-insulated wires (the same ratio for other ingots in the wire mill), and the other will take insulation and uninsulated superconductor wires and give you one insulated wire. Note that the texture for insulation in the Sphax texture pack is blank, so it looks like the villager offers insulated wire for uninsulated; he doesn't, you must trade 1 uninsulated wire and 1 insulation.

Which leads me to more important matters... I've discussed this with both Rob & Pete in-game at various points, but it's worth getting a wider opinion.

I am sick to the back teeth of the Technic platform. While I appreciate the work they do, the attitude of the developers and the Technic team in general stinks. Versions with major bugs are released and there is no news on when they will be fixed or when new versions will be released. Asking about updates in the Technic forums results in a ban, being called a "stupid newbie" or being called "Helen Keller" (the obvious implication being that you can't read). Bug report threads go completely un-acknowledged (aside from other forumites offering suggestions) and I can't find any formal bug tracking system.

Case in point: uranium and atomic science. In the version I originally used (1.0.13, IIRC), uranium did not naturally spawn in the world but all the machinery and components required to refine uranium work just fine. The new version has uranium occurring naturally in the world (actually uraninite), but one of the crucial machines required in the refining chain does not have a crafting recipe - the nuclear boiler. Also in the latest version of Voltz, there is no crafting recipe for nuclear explosives, which is required in order to make higher-tier bombs/missiles, and you can no longer produce strange matter, which is required in order to make the most powerful explosives/missiles in the game. If I switch back to an older version, we'll have problems with block/item IDs changing, meaning that inventory items will be swapped to ones you didn't have. If I try to update the mods in the pack myself, then everyone will also have to mod their versions of the pack in the same way.

It was pretty much the same with Tekkit. Major bugs were present and there was no news of a new version with updated mods being released. Eventually Tekkit Lite was released and Tekkit "Classic", as it's now branded, seems to be pretty much abandoned.

Screw it, I'm sick of this attitude. I enjoy playing the mods, but I am not prepared to keep having to use kludgy workarounds like villager trading to keep them working and then have sand kicked in my face when I ask about timelines for fixes. I know these people are doing this voluntarily and are bound to be inundated with people asking about updates, fixes, new versions, etc, but the way to manage expectations is not to simply ignore people. Any company with this attitude would have no customers and wouldn't even get a product out.

Once someone has reached the "endgame" I plan to wipe Voltz and move to a different pack; "endgame" in this case being the point where people start blowing each other up with antimatter bombs and missiles... Ordinarily I'd say it's when people start blowing up the world with red matter bombs, but I'm really not sure what to do about strange matter yet. Pete has suggested Yogcraft next, and I'm more than happy to go with that unless anyone has any other suggestions. Personally I quite like the look of a lot of the Forestry stuff...

I'm also quite keen to try and import some of the stuff we built on the Tekkit server to a new world; I put a hell of a lot of effort into the castle build, and it seems a shame for that effort to languish ununsed in a backup file. I plan to test out this and Yogcraft over the weekend.

6. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

+1 for Yogcraft. It certainly looks more mature than many of the Technic packs.

As a suggestion for the red matter issue - perhaps set up a trade (yes, I know...) for 1g of antimatter to 1 strange matter? Antimatter takes a lot of energy to make, perhaps more energy than strange matter, but it would certainly balance things a bit more. An alternative is making strange matter free - it can only be used to make red matter explosives, which require nuclear explosives and copious amounts of antimatter anyway.

EDIT: Actually, I just ran through some calculations for strange matter. Strange matter was produced with a 2% chance in old versions of Voltz. If you estimate that it takes 2 seconds for one 'explosion' to occur, then over 200 seconds you are likely to get 2 strange matter. This means an estimate of 100 seconds per strange matter. 100 seconds x 200kW (the power required by a particle accelerator) = 20MJ. Based on the fact that my particle accelerator at 64x64 uses up 11MJ per ~180mg of antimatter, and this particle accelerator is likely bigger than what most people would build, shall we say 200mg of antimatter to 1 strange matter? This is 1/5th of what I suggested before, but it makes the energy costs much less astronomical.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2013
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That sounds fine to me... You need quite a lot of antimatter in order to even build a red matter bomb anyway because you have to build an antimatter bomb as part of the chain.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm really keen on Yodcraft, and the FTB launcher seems really good too. I know there's an update coming soon (may have already happened) which adds guns and planes. Also, I think IC2 solar panels were removed to mix it up a bit ;)

Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCaCobuW9BY

Last edited: 12 Apr 2013
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You can now trade for strange matter at spawn. About time I added all this stuff to the OP...

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

!

FTB has music discs for the theme from both Portal games. That made me smile :D.

11. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Chalk up another short coming of the Voltz pack - transformers from Electric Expansion are practically useless, since looking at too many at once causes severe FPS drop. The problem is exaggerated by a high-res texture pack. On my system, using Sphax x128 and looking at more than 3 transformers would be unplayable. With the default textures it isn't quite as bad, requiring 10 or more.

It is a shame really, since I could optimize power delivery across long distances by stepping up at one end then stepping down at the other, but with this bug that wouldn't be viable.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've never had need to use transformers...

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I bet it doesn't have The Device Has Been Modified though!

14. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I appear to have broken something fundamental in villager trading. First of all, I have used up all of the trades on the antimatter -> strange matter trade, but I need 8 more strange matter (provisions for 2 red matter bombs :p). The other problem is that although I started the trade with 16 antimatter, I left with 8 strange matter and 9 antimatter. See the problem? And no, none of those are 'ghosts' - they are real items.

To fix the trade limit, there should be an NBT value in the villager somewhere, but there is actually also a hard-coded limit of 13 items per offer. The only way to fix that would be to set up a second offer on that same villager, something menial like cobble to dirt, which might reactivate the first trade if used.

Also, you lot have disappeared again! Come back, Pete! I have almost reached the conditions that we agreed on for 'winning' (including the required knowledge), but I want all of us to be on the server at the same time for the ultimatum.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I might have forgot to set the trade limit for the strange matter guy... I have no idea why you came away with more anti matter than you should have though...

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The server is going to be down for a little while; every time I connect it crashes with a "ticking tile entity" error.

EDIT: Looks like it's my purification chamber, according to the crash log... Great; I'd just dumped a stack of gold in that...

Last edited: 13 Apr 2013
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The server is now back up.

Handy: MCEdit now supports block id's over 4095, and doesn't kill mod worlds any more...

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I've just had a busy week, I'll be on tonight or tomorrow probably :)

19. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Right - it is clear that me, Pete and BLC have become quite advanced in this Voltz world, and it is time to wrap it all up. Around 20:00 (that is UK time) I will be unleashing a 'surprise', which will have severe consequences for the server. I hope at least Pete will be online to witness it, but anyone else is free to come on and watch the fireworks.

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just have to remember to turn my MFFS on ;)