1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Combimouse founder turns to crowdfunding

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Apr 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Looks terrible...

3. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I personally don't have a need to use a mouse and a keyboard (with both hands) at the same time. Can't imagine many people do who, as OS's aren't designed to require it.

So this is just for people who can't be bothered to move their hand over to their mouse?

The way this world is going, they'll probably sell millions.

/oldmangrumble

4. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The thing is, in the video it doesn't look any faster or easier than using a regular mouse and keyboard... except that the split keyboard with TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF KEYS is going to be a royal pain in the arse to learn. Apparently I'm annoyed enough about this to argue with myself.

5. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@monkiboi: more like :
    [​IMG]

as :wallbash: is not enough.

7. fodder

fodder Minimodder

From an ergonomics point of view, this is terrible. Long hours of mouse use is bad enough as it is, take away the movement of keyboard/mouse swapping and the involved musculature will become ischaemic far quicker. Oh, and with the dawn of motion detection and touch interfaces this is a dead parrot.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I actually like this, and want it. But $110 is too much to stomach. I spend a lot of time work wise using excel and other keyboard/mouse heavy programs and this makes sense.

9. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

Looking for a solution to a problem that does not exsist.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Being slightly ambidexterous, something like this would only slow me down. My left hand is a more skilled typist than my right (but my right hand is better with a mouse), and I use spacebar with my left hand too. This is the same reason why I don't like mice containing more than 5 buttons - I perform better when my hands are distributed evenly.

Anyways, suppose this mouse were to biologically fit me - what exactly would I be doing with my other hand? Hold coffee with it? I figure this device would take a little too much concentration to effectively use another hand for something else, though, I do realize this device has more benefits other than multitasking.

I do appreciate the effort of people trying to evolve input devices. I think it's strange how the keyboard and mouse are as long-lived as they are (touch screens are almost equally as old), but I guess it really comes down to affordability, efficiency, practicality, and usage.

11. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

The combimouse is a blatant ripoff of my own invention - mouseputer. Think of a mouse with an integrated keyboard and a 12 inch full colour VGA display capable of 800 x 600. Should be able to raise the £1 Million needed via kickstarter.

12. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

... i've actually already got a profile connected to my razer naga and nostromo that gives me access to all the normal keys needed for typing... i cant really use quotes or question marks or anything, but i can already type with my mouse... and one that doesnt look quite so retarded.... plus if i had the orbweaver instead of nostromo i would have room to spare. i declare this as unneeded :p

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

If you check out the study linked in the article it was shown to be equivalent to a standard mouse in pointing speed, and slower than a standard keyboard in typing speeds. The reviewers even admitted they would need to practice to type faster. Doesn't seem worth buying a new device to put in that practice to reach speeds you'd already had.