1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam DotA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loafers, 15 Aug 2011.

1. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Well I've never really had to do that often myself so I dunno. Always seemed fine to me.

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Might be the time patches are released or something, I've had to quit the game to patch roughly three times in the last three months or so. All of them small workshop or bugfix type things, makes for a good time to get everyone to grab snacks or use the restroom and never been a frustrating experience.

3. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yeah, I had to quit to install the weekly update a time or two, and its good that it never happens during games. Only after you finish and start a new search it tells you its out of date.

4. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hey vdbswong.

This is essentially what happened to me. Saw Dota 2 on steam. Managed to get myself a beta invite couple months ago. I am now hooked.

I have tried previous MOBAs and never got into them...always disliked the microtransaction culture in a lot of them. But, Dota 2 I like very much at present, and finally got into this genre! :)

5. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

We don't want the LoL community coming to play DOTA 2. I am surprised how "not bad" the DOTA community is at the moment.

6. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Last edited: 17 Apr 2013
  7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Just published my first guide:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139153066

How to get a 78% winrate with Lich! Works best in Normal/High bracket but still effective in Very High. You can click the subscribe button and it will appear in game via the builds feature.

Any and all feedback welcome, especially constructive criticism. Cheers dudes!

8. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Nice might give it a go. Lich is quite good. Ult is very good against people when they run about in huge groups, and great for denying creeps early doors.

9. will_123

Recently been playing a lot of enigma. Such a good hero but not one to play while you are playing with randoms, he is so reliant on your team mates. Get a good jungle on to start with and get your soul ring early and you onto something. Very satisfying blinking into large group of enemy’s and dropping a massive black hole!

10. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I've only been randoming for the past few months, so I've gotten decen tplaytime on most heroes.

Keep getting Int heroes mostly, which I'm OK with most... not good but ok, not terrible except with 1 or 2 (like Chen.. I can't micromanage, same with meepo, though i can do well with him)

Have to say, Fudge the system... I must get Razor 1/5 games.... I hate him, even before. I just don't like his playstyle. But when i get randomed him everyother game it pisses me off (I have RQ'd from a few games because I got randomed him several games in a row).

Have to say, my favourite heroes are the stun/nukers (Lion, Lina to a degree, Centaur, Tuskar). I can play support well, but a lot of the time i end up playing a Carry(1st or 2nd tier)/Support role.
    Have you ever seen a Witch Doctor or Dazzle being the main carry? It's frigging hilarious watching the opposing team figure out they should be focusing on nuking the support instead of the carry, where they think the damage is coming from, only to notice that the support is sitting at 10/2 and kicking their ass pretty much solo, and that the carry is a retard

11. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Wouldn't it be fun if the heroes orbited the black hole instead of moving toward the middle direct?

I would random more but there is always a chance you get one of those heroes you just don't ever want to play. I tend to play single draft a lot now as you and everyone else are forced to play possibly less comfortable heroes but you have some redundancy. It can be a lottery though. I think this is the best gaming mode bar captains mode which I haven't played.

Do people play captains mode in public? What happens if someone gets made captain who doesn't know who to pick/ban?

12. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

How do you tell what skill level your games are at?

13. will_123

I like the pulling them to center, makes it great for a fatal bonds and golden from warlock.

Random games are the most fun in pub games. I play least played, single draft , random draft and all random. Saves me from playing against Husker, pudge, drow, juggernaght, kotl and all the other popular ones over and over. Also it puts people or their comfort zone including you. Helps you get better imo. I also sling captains mode into the mix. Usually a laugh if your with a couple of mates. Not of your solo.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

14. will_123

Used to be able to with dota buff. But valve took it out. You can't tell just need to judge if your playing against people who or half decent or are trying to kill towers before the creeps have spawned.

15. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

You can tell, go into Dota 2 and the Watch tab

Under recent games use the filters

Filter by your player name

Then filter by skill level or whatever its called, you can choose Normal High or Very High. Whatever games come up were played in those skill brackets.

But you should be aware that there are no skill brackets in terms of what players you are matchmaked against, Valve matchmakes on a completely continuous scale and those brackets are just arbitrary.

16. will_123

awesome! i didnt know this! Cheers ill be doing this later tonight to get feel for where i am.

17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

No probs :)

You will probably find a bunch of your games this past month straggling over two or even three brackets, your assigned skill level is the one where most of your recent games were played

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Captain's Mode without a five-stack is an exercise in frustration. You can always talk to them and suggest picks and bans, but it's ultimately up to the captain.

That whole mentality of knowing picks/bans is what kills Captain's Mode for me. Nine times out of ten if you get a pub player as captain they'll just make generic tournament picks. Take a pool of roughly 25 "top tier" heroes, randomly ban ten and pick ten. Chances are you've just made a typical Captain's Mode game.

19. will_123

Haha totally agree. I reckon we need to get some bit tech dota games organised! I'm going to be on tonight, will have a look at the group to see if anyone else is on for a game. I also have my own ventrillo sever we could use, or jump on the bit tech mumble. Its so much easier to communicate over mics.

20. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Just got mumble how do you connect to the Bit Tech server? There is a massive list at the moment :)