1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Project]: Big Bro' Prodigy (E-ATX mod) FINAL PICTURES: 12th March - 2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nikkop, 12 Dec 2012.

1. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Ah, now I understand! Well, do you have any idea how much these extends the width of the card in terms from the PCB? I do have some space until it would hit the window, the question is if it's enough.
    At the same time, there must be some kind of water blocks that doesn't extend the width? In that case those would be the ones to go with? :)

Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it as I didn't think of that :p

Thanks a bunch! :D
    The feet are tall enough! ;) I can post a picture later tonight when I'm home from school so you can see :)

The standards are enough :D
    Not only are they 4cm from the floor but the motherboard's ports are an additional 1-2cm above that.
    A standard DVI-cable fits without any problems at all! I even managed to insert a pretty large USB-stick haha.

I'll be showing a picture tonight! :)

Best Regards
    Nikkop

2. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Here's some pics showing that there's no need for either higher feet or angled connectors :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Best Regards
    Nikkop

3. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

The Prodigy has some big foots, when I saw them I was like wow.

Anyway impressive project, I am really curious about the space management.

regards,
    ziza

4. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

Nice one, did not know the bottom of the case was so high up!

5. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks! :)

Yea, the feet are about 4cm tall which makes the case stand 4cm above the floor/table.
    However, due to how I/O and PCI ports are aligned as a standard I am given another 1.5 centimeters (as the ports don't line up with the floor of the case, they are slightly above).

So in total I have about 5-5.5cm from the table/floor to the ports and here's where all the cables fit without any problem! I can even fit a USB-drive :)

Best Regards
    Nikkop

6. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

OOOh! mainlining some testosterone into a feminist case to grow it a pair! I like! :D

7. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

What, haha love it.

I guess you refer "testosterone" as in the big motherboard and "feminist" as in the m-ITX case, or? ;)

Netherless thanks for the comment! Appreciate it, haha ;)

8. siliconfanatic

You hit the nail on the head:thumb:. Someone who actually knows what I mean for a change! :)

9. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Loving it, Had my share of fitting parts where they are not supposed to and know how nerve-racking it can be at times, loving how nicely it´s all fitting :)

10. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Haha great ;)
    I hope you are enjoying my feminist masculine project then! :D

Thanks a lot! :)

Nerve-racking ideed! But the feeling when it finally fits, it's an unexplainable feeling. Sometimes, when I manage to fit things on the milimeters and make things I didn't think was possible, I feel like God :rock: (with a dremel :dremel: )

At times it feels that the Prodigy has been designed to fit exactly what I want to do with it, or I'm just good at adapting haha. Netherless it's so far turning out as my expectations and I'm so happy about it :D

11. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

I know exactly how you feel! :D If you visit the "current project" link in my sig you´ll know what I mean.

Looking forward to seeing you finish this as I just got myself an e-atx case and might wait to see how you go about doing so and fitting it in to a prodidy myself, would make an epic lan box :D

12. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Haha :D Yea I've visited your project and love the steam punk theme, it's such a nice look.
    Does painting the radiators affect the performance of them?

If you want a portable ATX/E-ATX machine my finished product will hopefully be one of the most compact! :D

I think I'll do some modding today, let's see when I get that update up ;)

13. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Then looking forward to your updates mate :D

And no, it wont affect it as long as you use non-dissolvant/non-sinthetic acrylic paint, as far as I know any other kind of paint will have a negative effect.

14. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks! :) I've worked on the project today so an update is coming ut later tonight for you! ;)

That sounds great, good to know if I ever come to paint stuff like that. Thanks!

About painting. I'll paint my case once all modification is done due to the fact that I've gotten a lot of scratches on it due to all the hard work it sustains! :p haha.

However, I heard of "plasti dip", like a rubber spray color. Looked up a few clips on YouTube and it looks amazing.
    The question is how it would look on a computer case?

Anyone have experience regarding plasti dip? :)

Thanks
    nikkop

15. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

UPDATE 20/04 2013

[​IMG]

UPDAAAAAAATE! :D

Cutting the case for the power supply. - 20/04 -2013

Update 20/4 to 2013

Hello dear readers!

Hope you all have a good time! :) Today I have modified the case a bit so thought an update was about time! ;)
    This will be a pretty small and fast update, but as I know this moment is interesting I'm doing an update! :)

It will be about how I decided where the power supply back should be put. Thus, where the cord and exhaust of air shall be directed, and how / what I sawed to achieve this :)

Here's how it looked when I test-mounted the computer after the last update. The Power supply's back was then at the case's back. Since all other cables were on the bottom, it felt silly to have the PSU cable at the back of the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the underside of the case where I want the PSU's back to be (you can see the power supply through the holes in the case)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made a mask for the hole so I know where to cut! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put down the case in a box and it's ready to be cut! The reason I have the case in a box is that it reduces any debris on the floor that flies around when I cut. In other words, not as much time spent on the floor sweeping it all up haha.
    [​IMG]

As Bon Jovi would have said, " HALFWAY THERE "
    [​IMG]

The hole has been sawn! Let's see how it looks with the power supply into place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seen from the side (this is behind the motherboard plate)
    [​IMG]

The power supply with the power cord connected.
    I will have to get myself an angled cord but that shouldn't be any problem (otherwise I'll create one myself :D )
    [​IMG]

That was the hole where the PSU will sit!
    The underside of the case is not quite finished yet. I will do it nicely by inserting a mesh to cover all the cut-outs / edges and make it neat and uniform. Even if you do not see the bottom it must be nice looking! ;)

Comment or question please, I get happy whenever people write! :)
    Thank you for reading and following!

Thanks in advance
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

16. siliconfanatic

Cuttin' on a prayer...

Looking good!

17. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hahah love it.
    Take my dremel and we'll make it - I swear. WOHOOOO! haha

Thanks tho! ;)

I'm sure it will look hell of a lot better when I attach the mesh at the bottom too :)

18. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

hahaha I lol´d at that lil song moment :p

Looking great mate :D

As for the plastic dip thingie, never heard of it sorry :(

19. Axoxenon

Axoxenon Do it right the first time

Looking great Nikkop! :)

As for Plasti Dip, I havent tried it myself.
    But when I was at Mekonomen once, they had some rims which were painted with Plasti Dip.

I think alot hangs on the "sprayer", one rim was decent and the other looked like crap..
    The surface wasnt as "rubbery" as I had expected.

But after seeing people painting whole cars with Plasti Dip, buy a can and give it a go.
    It seems somewhat scratch resistant :)

20. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Haha why don't you join? ;)
    Thanks!

Nice, maybe I should head over there myself and see if they've got any examples in the store.
    Yeah I've seen those car videos as well, looks awesome.
    What I wonder is if you can paint mesh, I mean like, metal with holes. Maybe plasti dip wont work on that.
    But should work on the case itself and the feet hopefully ^_^

Thanks for your information, I'll visit them! :)

Best Regards
    nikkop