1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Project]: Big Bro' Prodigy (E-ATX mod) FINAL PICTURES: 12th March - 2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nikkop, 12 Dec 2012.

1. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I always thought the prodigy was a bit big for a mini-itx rig, proving that wrong and looking very good so far!

2. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Awesome project :D
    I just hope everything works, but it seems your on the right track.. keep on :)

3. Da Vinci

Da Vinci What's a Dremel?

What the exact dimensions of that psu? How much clearance is there for gpu's/ side panelon the other side once installed?

4. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks a bunch! :)
    Well, too big or not for m-ITX it sure has potential! Haha :rock:

Thanks man! :)
    So far so good if I would say so myself. Nothing has put a stick in my wheel yet. Let's keep in that way :cooldude: :D

Hi,

"Dimensions without cable (L x W x D), (mm)180 x 150 x 86"

Not too much clearance I'm afraid. Once installed I am to try it out and see if the PSU manages to work efficiently even thou pretty choked by the side panel or if I am to cut a hole and put a fan grill.
    Doing it nicely and with a good looking fan grill it should be good looking :)

Best Regards
    nikkop

5. Da Vinci

I'm currently build a M-atx MB into this case. Stressing about the same problem. I am thinking about a custom side panel. Will post my first log in the next week or so. Will look forward to seeing what you can come up with :dremel:

6. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Ah I see! M-ATX is nice as well :)

A good-looking fan grill and a well-done cut on the side panel will look surprisingly good, I think! That's probably what I'll do anyway :D

Thanks! I look forward to your project log :)
    Post it now! Give me the link later ;)

Best regards
    nikkop

7. soxism

soxism What's a Dremel?

Sorry to Steer the Thread away from Nikkop, but you should definitely post a build log too!

Im Considering cramming a MATX board in one of these, but seeing how Nikkop accomplishes this feat first ...So far doing Amazing :)

8. northernosprey02

northernosprey02 What's a Dremel?

That was extreme mod for me because you put the big thing into little enclosure lol :hehe:

But your project was cool! So your friend surprised when they see the four video card in small case and they said "IMPOSSIBRU!!!" Nice job :thumb:

9. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

No problem and thank you :) Hope you are enjoying! :D

Haha thank you for your kind words :)
    However there wont be 4x Graphics cards unfortunately. I am not a hardcore gamer by any means so it would be a total waste for me, hehe :)

New update coming up tonight! :D

10. northernosprey02

At least two video card was enough for you, same with me that it would wasting money too much while not all games doesn't support 3-way or 4-way SLI/CrossFire well.

11. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

UPDATE 30/04 2013 -Shaping and mounting of the "new back".

True! We will see what GPU I come up with! :D

And something fun for all of you, an update! :D

[​IMG]

UPDAAAAAAATE! :D

Replacing the old I / O & PCI-E back on the chassis with aluminum "mesh". - 30/04 -2013

UPDATE 29/4 - 2013

Hello everyone!

Hope youre all doing great! Here I am witha new update :)

This update will be about constructing and mounting of the new back piece. The original back with the I/O- and PCI-ports on the Bifenix Prodigy.

Due to the fact that Ive created a new place for these holes on my mod the original back fits no purpose any longer.
    So I will get some 1mm steel mesh and test mount it to see what it would look like in this update! :)

Let's go!

Here's the original back of the Prodigy that I no longer have any use for.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to replace it with this mesh of 1mm thick steel. It's pretty solid!
    [​IMG]

As you can see the mesh doesnt fit out-of-box of course :) I mark what is to be cut off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once I cut that off it suddenly fits a lot better :D ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not entirely done thou. I need to cut some details for it to line up.
    [​IMG]

After some measuring I get that done and it all fits so much better now! :) Dont you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now its time to test mount the mesh! :)
    To do this I put some masking tape so I can point out where to drill the holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got a nice and handy present from my family. Will come in use fo shure! ;)
    [​IMG]

Drilling the holes Ive marked out :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now its left to mount it. I do it with some rivets. Rivets turns out to be awesome for this :)
    [​IMG]

Aaaand here's the result of this update! What do you think? :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was the fix of the new back part :) Its not 100% done tho. What I am to do is to cut the original back off as I have no use for it. This means that the mesh will be the only thing at the back, the original back won't exist any longer.
    This also allows me to make my own holes/mountings for like fans etc.

I Will of course paint the mesh so the color matches the rest of the build! :)

I think this turned out great.
    What do you think? :)

And for those wondering. Yes, the side panels can still be attached as regular! :)

Comment or ask questions if you have any. I get happy when people write! :D
    Thank you for reading and following

Best regards
    Nikkop

12. northernosprey02

Still looks annoying, why you not remove all part of back panel first? So it will look cleaner if you do this.

13. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

I will remove it eventually :) The reason I kept it was for measuring and test-mounting where it suited it's purpose.

Now when I know which holes to use and such stuff I can remove the old back part and only have the mesh installed! :)

/nikkop

14. Shurika

Shurika Minimodder

I suppose it'll be better to place the mesh inside the case, behind the rear panel, outside it going to look a bit rough

15. Axoxenon

Axoxenon Do it right the first time

Nah I think it'll look better on the outside.
    Unless you you really get good looking cuts so that it all looks good and symmetric :)

16. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Not a bad idea, but;

Since I'm going to remove the original rear that would mean that only a little part of the original rear would be left (the place where I attach the rivets for the mesh).
    I can definately try it out and see the results and then report back to you! :)

I think that if the mesh is the same color as the rest of the case it won't look as rough.
    Don't you think? :)

I'll probably have it on the outside and painting it with the same color as the case will probably make it blend in pretty good! :D

What do you guys think about scratching/grinding off the color of the Prodigy and keep it silver/metal-colored? ;) Make it look like a PowerMac G5, heh :)

Would be unique! :D

17. Da Vinci

I would suggest painting it. If you take it down t the bare metal you may have slightly different finishes on the mesh. Also, the case is steel and will rust without any protection.

18. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Thanks for your input. Do you know any color that would resemble bare steel? :)
    If I were to take it down to the metal I would then polish it or paint it, however I haven't decided what to do yet.

Abuot the rust, good point, didn't think of that. But if you treat the metal (in case I grind the case) and polish it, won't that be some kind of protection?

Have to find out about that! :)

Thanks
    Best Regards
    nikkop

19. Shurika

Shurika Minimodder

Never know what's better before try it. I'll stay tuned for another update with the rear panel. Anyway, that would be great!:clap:

20. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hehe :) I'm actually waiting for additional mesh before I can do the next update. Let's hope I get that mesh soon enough! The sooner the faster the update will be up! ;)