1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Do you have a HHKB?

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

No(yet). Only tried one for a few mins in HK.
    Anything with a moved ctrl frustrates me and I'm not sure the topre keys is a decent trade off...

3. longweight

The control position is genius! Only took me a day or so to get used to it and now I wouldn't go back. The Fn key is also in a great position in my opinion.

You need to give Topre a few days, once you do you will realise just how **** MX is.

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I really struggle with my Ctrl key on my HHKB Lite because I also use a standard board for work, its only when I'm really pushing my limits that it becomes an issue, such as SC2 but I am still considering a swap to something with a caps lock key.

5. longweight

Lance I would very near Southwark station if you want to meet up after work for a beer and a look at the HHKB.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That video is awesome!

As for the HHKB, I'm relying on you Adrock! :D

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

IT'S NOT ****

IT'S DIFFERENT!

I think it's such a subjective thing that you can't say one is great and one is ****, MX offers much great variety. There is not comparison, other than they are different.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Dan, be careful not to pollute this forum with elitism - it's one of the things that separates this forum from the DTs and GHs of this world.

Remember that for a lot of people on here a decent MX board a huge investment and as much as they could ever hope to spend on a peripheral, so branding them as **** could be considered a slightly tenuous position.

I know you don't really care and opinions are all as valid as one another, but I get the sneaking feeling that if Topre boards cost £15 from PC world there would be fewer takers.

:)

EDIT: I see Margon Man feels the same way, at the same time :clap:

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Haha let's not all start a MX vs topre thing here.

Even if you take the money out of it some people just don't like them as much (cough me cough)

I could have gone for a HHKB, but instead chose a poker and other stuff, I've not really used topre enough to know I don't like it etc (but I certainly wasn't blown away) and I went for a cherry mx switch I'd never used, which was probably a bigger risk :p

10. KidMod-Southpaw

What attracts me the most about the HHKB is the case design and board layout. No MX board has it.

11. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Agreed, it's not the money for me, it's more a case of if I'd get the same or more satisfaction from a realforce or HHKB as I would from a more "basic" MX keyboard.

That and I already have wallet killing tendencies with my headphone purchases.

12. longweight

I'm speaking from a typing experience point of view and obviously it is my opinion but I do not think MX offers anything beneficial over Topre.

I'm not being Elitist, if Topre was the same price as MX then I very much doubt that many would use Topre. The only reason it hasn't gained more market share is the high price and extremely limited range of custom caps.

I realise that Topre is very expensive and MX boards could also be considered expensive. I can see your point about it sound offensive and I do still think that MX is a million times better than a rubberdome but Topre wins it for me. The only reason that I still use MX at home is for the Scarface caps.

13. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Forgive me if I'm misreading, but does this not counter your points?

14. longweight

Sorry I meant MX!

15. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

(regardless I will one day buy a topre board :) )

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I also think that for most typists, Topre probably is the superior product. It's just not mechanical enough for me. Like George I find the clunking sound of an MX board so satisfying, it's a really fundamental part of what I enjoy in a keyboard.

17. KidMod-Southpaw

I'm sure Topre has an equally nice sound though. :)

18. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Loving this thread but a lot of the terminology goes straight over my head! You have succeded in convincing me to sell my G15 as well as my Belkin N52 to fund a mech board. Planning on modding it too so would need easily obtainable keycaps (in case airbrushing the caps isn't a success. Will read through the thread first then ask my remaining questions afterwards.... in a few weeks once I finish reading!

19. KidMod-Southpaw

I wouldn't bother airbrushing the keycaps. The paint will wear away in uneven patches. If you want to change the colour of the caps to a solid colour, you really need to be dying them. :)

20. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

It's like the ancient Romans said:
    “De gustibus et coloribus (et mutatris clavorum*) non disputandum est”

If I had the money I'd get topre though I think…

*This is undoubtedly horrible, horrible latin…