1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Azure - Phantom 820 mod - Finally Finished!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 29 Jan 2013.

1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Maybe try using that thing called an apostrophe? :lol: Sorry. Just in albeit of a grammar nazi mood. I hate my 'friggin brain :duh:

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Hehe leave this for a couple of days and boom rofl. Still waiting on mah supplies, definitely the worst part of any project.

@Siliconfanatic: Bah at least they valid excuses :p

@XNine: Yup, can't wait to whip those out and place the reservoirs in. I would do it sooner but there's a hefty amount of dremel work that also needs to be done, since I'm using the PC atm I can't just strip it and work away. Also I've been so busy working away on other things that I've not been able to finish my plans for the 630 mod competition :( I'll finish the designs anyway and post them up here, but that'll take at least another week.

@K.3nny: I was tempted to do that, updated my 3D model to test it out, ended up preferring the "spider" style, fits with the original aesthetic nicely.

@Hanoken: Haha thanks, yeah I should take a couple of night shots as the lighting is really sweet. I'm surprised that I don't really need to change anything from the original HUE, has a nice soft glow to it. If push comes to shove and I need more light I'll jam a couple of white cathodes in. Honestly just being in the competition at all is a privilege, I certainly can't complain about being bested by the seasoned competitors. Considering you only get one vote this time, I really can't see people voting this over the Shrine or Alienware builds, at least they're who I'd vote for anyway.

3. Hanoken

Hanoken O.O

Well your votes might be going else where, but I know where mine is going towards :D, plus from what im seeing, your build is just as good as the competitors, otherwise why would you be a nominee for MOTM :clap:

4. Maki role

Right well you know what time it is, UPDATE TIME!

The plastic and fittings I ordered last week have finally arrived, I also finally have enough time to get going with this mod at get it on the final stretch.

So I've only just started work on the main parts themselves, mostly disassembly etc. Removed the 5.25" bays, midplate, pumps et al. I'm currently in the process of cutting all the new acrylic parts.

So here are some teaser photos, if I'm lucky I may be able to get it all finished tonight. In which case I'll be updating with the semi-finished article either tonight or tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    Because this build obviously needed more fittings...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Maki role

Gah delays, delays, delays. I should have been finished for the most part by now, but I have been set back by my dreaded necessity for Bitspower C47 fittings.

Turns out in my last fitting order, WCUK were actually out of the C47 multi-link adapters. This, however, I didn't notice as I had ordered a set of plain ol' multi-link adapters (really clear labelling guys...), which don't have any screw threads. So I decided to look elsewhere to find some of the right kind. I turned to Overclockers and found that they had some multi-link adapters in stock. I scooped up the last of the shiny and black nickel ones and checked it for next day delivery. So this morning the package arrives... Yeah you guessed it I had ordered another batch of the bloody standard ones. Turns out that the C47 fittings are practically sold out across the country. I've since picked up the last of the C48 white fittings from Overlcockers, should arrive tomorrow. Although I still won't have enough to finish the mod as they only had 4 in stock.

Luckily, I was able to get some work done on the other parts of the mod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Maki role

Right folks this is a big update, and probably one of the last sadly. The project is now drawing to a close as Azure is taking it's final shape. There are still, however, a couple of surprises to be had later, so continue to tune in.

Now I sort of failed in the log department here. I was just so busy trying to get this part done, and I couldn't find neither my camera nor phone. So I've instead got some pictures of the build in it's current nearly finished state.

I've finished moving the reservoirs and redoing almost all of the plumbing. I'd also like to apologise to anybody else in the UK in need of Bitspower Multi-link adapter fittings :blush:

Without any further ado, the update!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now remember to tune in on Tuesday for a really cool update. Should be fun.

7. torment lm

torment lm Danish Viking

Looks Awesome :)

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Looks excellent man!
    Bristol fist bump again ;)

9. Maki role

@Torment lm: Thanks, liking the potential in yours too!

@Editor22: Cheers :)

Quite looking forward to tomorrow now, as long as everything goes to plan, that is.

10. Maki role

Sorry about being a day late guys, the package was almost sent to the wrong location again, luckily I was able to call up and have it redirected at the cost of being a day late.

So what was in the package? Well since you can obviously see the pictures and the thread title, the Titans did :D

I'll probably take a few pictures of them actually going into the rig later today. I don't have the waterblocks for them yet though so I'll have to rely on air for now. Still, I can't get over how pretty the coolers themselves are, it's going to be a real shame removing them later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I can only wonder at the speeds cycles will preview in Blender, are you going to post over on blenderartists.org performance of the titans?

12. Maki role

I can imagine it won't be much faster (if anything maybe a bit slower) than my previous system when i comes to the actual rendering itself. I certainly will try out the benchmark though, for a short while I held the BA record at 19 seconds or so, before others with some professional GPU farm rigs turned up. Where it will definitely be streaks ahead of my old setup though is in handling much larger scenes, the extra 4 1/2 gigs of VRAM will be very welcome indeed.

13. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

This build was already epic, but now... 2 titans! U mad bro! Fuuuuuu!

Loving every inch of this. :)

14. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Did somebody say overkill? lol :D

15. Maki role

@Alfizzle: Haha wouldn't want to disappoint eh?

@elAwesome: Maybe just a little... At least I'll be able to make proper use of all that powah. Liking how the desk is coming along btw!

And so I decided to install them on air for now. I'm quite pleased with how the GPU drain system worked, got all the fluid out in only a couple of minutes. Capped off some of the plumbing to prevent undrained liquid from leaking everywhere. Added the cards and installed the drivers, the whole process must have taken only 30 mins or so, much better than my old system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't got round to playing anything other than minecraft yet... Don't worry I'll get round to seeing what they can do later.

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Dare I ask what your last GPU was? I'm still rocking a GTX280 which isn't exactly quick but still faster than my i7 930. I hope in the near future to grab a GTX660 or 670 to run along side my GTX280 (slave) to speed it up some what.

17. Maki role

I was using two GTX 590s. The 580s were CUDA beasts, having 4 slightly downclocked ones allowed for some very quick render times.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

You lucky lucky git!

19. Maki role

I've still got one of the 590s that has it's original cooler if you're interested. For rendering it would smack a 670 around the fence and back. Obviously that depends where you're based though, plus a 670 has better support for other uses too. Either way I'll be popping it up on the marketplace in due course, hope somebody's interested.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Wish I could but no monies for quite a while..