1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Haswell C states raise PSU compatibility fears

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 May 2013.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

That listing is as useless as much is possible for a list to be useless. For example Seasonic - you got X series PSU ? Sorry, they won't list those. XFX ? What ? XFX makes power supplies ? Not according to that list.

In short, that list covers only very small part of the PSU market and for that reason it is useless to check this problem. Especially if the only informations it has on 12V2 line is yes or N/A (aka "we don't know").

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The guy who I posted it in reply to was specifically referring to his recently purchased Corsair psu (and they are listed), as was I.

I have never claimed the list top be complete or useful in general.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Which doesn't mean anything considering Corsair doesn't make their own PSU, and his model (btw there is no such thing as CX380) can be made by anyone (Seasonic ? Flextronics ? CWT ?)

Unless you got exactly the same model listed on that site and it says Yes for exactly that model, then that list is completely useless. N/A doesn't mean No, and not being listed doesn't mean anything either.

In short, all that list does is providing confirmation for few PSU who has "yes" in that column, every other PSU (listed or unlisted) can be OK or incompatible.

And that is why that list is completely useless. It is completely useless for ch424 as well and with big chance it is useless for Phil Rhodes too.

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yeah, sorry - I meant the CX 430W. Not sure where I got 380!

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

If you can do USB charging when PC is off would that suggest that your PSU might work?

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not necessarily: the USB port uses 5V power, while the one that worries those upgrading to Haswell is 12V. When PSUs allow a motherboard to provide USB power while 'off,' they turn off some portions while leaving others active - it's why the fan can stop spinning, even though the power supply is clearly still converting mains electricity to DC for the USB ports.