1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Why get a RasberPi for HTCP when you can get this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MSHunter, 5 May 2013.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Did you calculated in the price of RAM, storage and power supply ?

Power supply for Pi - any microUSB charger.
    RAM for Pi - soldered.
    Storage - any cheap SD card.

3. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

PSU? Ram? Case? Storage?

EDIT: NINJA'D :lol:

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

The PI comes ready to work once the SD card is prepared and it's much smaller and is passive cooled so no noise

No brainer for a basic HTPC at barely any cost

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

You don't have a ton of that stuff laying around from old build, repairs, ect?

6. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Not everyone has everything needed and you can use the same argument for the pi, you need an old phone charger, a spare sd card and possibly a keyboard/mouse for setup which you could possibly get rid off, if you use xbmc and the phone app.
    All things that people likely to use it are also likely to have laying around.

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Still doesn't run windows, simulators, do everything a pc can, ect. Seems to be a waist for the HTPC.

Now for home automation, android plaything sure, just doesn't seem like the best option for a HTPC.

8. faugusztin

It really depends on your definition of HTPC. My HTPC is Linux based and used exclusively for Live TV, Movies and TV Shows. I don't need emulators, i don't need Windows... And most users use their HTPC this way - watch videos and music. The rest of use cases is a very small minority.

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

So basically for TVs that do not do that natively (smartTVs)?

10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

As has been said, it's simple enough:

If your definition of a HTPC is to do everything the Pi can do, along with run windows and do light gaming and such, do what MShunter has suggested.

If your definition of a HTPC is to be able to play HD movies, tv and music, just get the Pi.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

tbh I think the raspberry pi is a little underpowered for a HTPC, if you throw any HD content at it you start to suffer.

I've not totally given up on my raspberry Pi but I've yet to find a suitable application for it.

12. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I use a pi because I don't need a HTPC a lot of the time, and dual booting on the pi is simply matter of having 2 sd cards :) so when I fancy messing around with the pi, I put the Raspbian card in and take the Raspbmc one out.

However, I do find the Pi a bit lacking in power for a full blown HTPC. When its playing content its fine, it just often crashes in menus, which often necessitates a new install which is fairly annoying (although I do have a backup iso). Hopefully, as bugs get ironed out it will become more viable.

13. faugusztin

Smart TV's are stupid. Once they will have features at the XBMC level, maybe i won't call them stupid. Show me a Smart TV which can index movies from a NAS with cover images, story descriptions, actor lists etc etc.

Yes, Smart TV's can now do DLNA, which is about 1% of the features needed for a HTPC.

I should probably explain you the HTPC acronym. It is Home Theater PC. Not "Desktop replacement PC at the TV which also plays movies. Sometimes". The point of HTPC is to have something which you can use from the comfort of your sofa, from 2-3 meter distance, usually only using your remote control.

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Correction:

Get a Pi if quality is not important or your on a very tight budget.

Otherwise you will want a HTPC so you can use:

-Sound card: for audio quality and Things like Tru HD Audio, surround sound ect.
    Foobar!

-Not have to run another machine to feed you pi (Pi works as a network player).

- HD content like Blu-ray rips

The Pi is a great toy HTPC but don't go in with high expectations.
    I blame CPC for getting me addicted to Premium quality PCs, Audio ect.
    Your evil and I like it. ;)

I got it all covered with my HP Micro server, server and HTPC all in one.
    -Low electricity usage server and HTPC = low running costs
    -Got with the £100 rebate offer, cheaper then a 4 bay NAS = Savings made again.
    - Has windows and can run emulators, sickbeard, US Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Foobar, ect.
    - Do not need to have a second PC running to feed it. = lower running costs.

This is all besides the point, I was just trying to figure out why the love for Pi as a HTPC and the only time I find it to make sense is for "upgrading" a Standard TV to a smart TV.

Don't get me wrong the Pi is amazing for so many other things, just seems a bit limited for HTPC duties.

BTW a smart phone can do all that a Pi can, so no need to buy another android device if you have a android smart phone ;) Saved you money again ;)

- I'll get my coat :p

15. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I'm 17, I have my build and that's about it! Maybe as the years creep by my supplies will grow

16. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

You can get most of that from used Dells and the like, just look in charity shops ask at PC store (not chains) if they have any left overs they are throwing out. Large companies often have a load of tech trash they are trying to shift just ask around. Thats what I did when I was in school. If thats to much work you could always look on Ebay for broken PCs (if you know what you are doing).

Edit: ^^ your build is amazingly high-end, I would have loved to have a high end PC when I was your age.
    I have found memories of my first PC a 350MHz AMD patchwork system.

17. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Some interesting ideas you put forward, thanks :)

It's my first proper build, before this I had a patchwork Pentium III system :lol:

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Our Samsung Smart TV runs Plex natively. I have the Plex Server on my PC running which pulls all the information I want - cover art, description, background, intro music, etc and then the tv client can access it. Works fine i'd say about 90% of the time. Also handles 3D videos.

19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

So wait, first you were saying that you could build your system with spare bits, but are now telling me that you'd only hook it up with the most premium of stuff?

What's to stop anyone plugging the Pi into a damn good amp and a set of speakers, which I'd expect most people to be doing with a HTPC anyway.

*Also Faugusztin is right :D*

I'm also a year younger than Fuus, yes, I have some spare bits for testing, but nothing that I would use to make a messy HTPC when I could just get an all in one Pi for £25 by itself.

20. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Ok I know it was a long post and not as clearly written as possible.

Well to plug a Pi into an Amp you need a USB DAC or a Home theater amp either way if you got those then you will want more premium source quality then the Pi.
    - try and find a USB DAC that supports Dolby surround and Tru HD.
    - A good Home theater Amp starts at £250 check out whathifi if you care to verify.
    Even like this over HDMI the Pi doesn't support Tru HD or Dolby surround sound.

The next point you actually agree with what I said the Pi is ok if your on a tight Budget and want to upgrade your TV or use a PC Monitory for a HTPC on the cheap,

but longterm only if your not paying for the leccy bill, as you need a PC to feed it as its a Network attached media player and not an actual HTPC.

If you on such a tight budget might want to consider a ML-HDMI adapter for you oldish Andriod phone and just use that. An SII is stronger then the Pi and easy to root.

Last edited: 5 May 2013