1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Recommend a new psu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by halfinched, 7 May 2013.

1. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

Hi

Finally found out why my gaming pc died and it turns out it was the psu so I need to get hold of a new one.

Rig specs:

Asus Maximus V Formula
    Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    Corsair Memory Vengeance Racing Red 16GB DDR3 1600mhz 2x8gb
    Asus Xonar DX
    Crucial 256mb SSD
    Antec Khuler H2O 920
    Sapphire Radeon HD5870 Vapor-X
    Samsung 1TB HDD
    DVD Drive

This was all running off an Antec Truepower 750W PSU which I think was well within the capabilities of the PSU so 3 years of not very much service seems a little rubbish to me. If you can recommend another PSU / Brand let me know.

thanks.

2. vector01

vector01 What's a Dremel?

Corsair enthusiast 80+ series 650 watt or higher PSU will do a good job.

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Vote for a Corsair HX or AX unit here.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The new generation CX modulars are pretty good now too, without the huge premium for diminishing returns. The only real difference is that the warranty is a couple of years less than you get on the top spec models.

6. halfinched

@MSHunter - blatantly managed to miss that in the excitement of having a good excuse to buy new bit of kit that missus can't argue with.

XFX Black Edition 750 - £100 - 89% (Modular) seems about right but will take a look at the corsair HX and AX as well. Thx.

7. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have a bequiet Dark Power Pro - It's a lovely PSU. though I think they are quite expensive if memory serves correctly.

8. halfinched

Had a quick look - am veering towards this: XFX Pro Black Edition 750W Full Modular Power Supply

mainly due to bit-tech rating. I've never actually bought a fully modular psu before so this may be a bit of a dumb question but do they come with cables or do you buy your own?

9. Shirty

They come with.

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Sorry I'm at work, that came out a bit harsher then I meant. :worried:

11. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

I am a huge fan of my Enermax Platimax 1kW, but that might be a bit out of your budget. I am also very satisfied with my Thermaltake ToughArmor Q-Fan 750W which I moved to my wife's system when I rebuilt ours a year ago.

For a more budget side of things, I built a friends system with a Rosewill Green power supply, 650W, seemed very solid had good efficiency ratings and has performed admirably for the past two years. I also quite like InWin power supplies and buy cases with power supplies included for my client systems, out of 30 or so over the past three years I have not had a failure. Furthermore I sold the same power supplies at my previous employer and we would have a rate of maybe 1 in 300 after about five years in a dusty, poorly maintained environment. That is a pretty good rate to me.

12. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

When was the last time this was updated? If it is from 2009 it is a bit out of date. I was under the impression when it was put up that it was going to be updated every few months. If it has been, Moyo2k should really put a date in the post to identify when it was last updated.

As for the XFX, it seems to be a good power supply, but personally due to trust issues with XFX (I sold their graphics cards for 5 years or so and had issues with the RMA process) I would try to make your budget match one of the Corsair units. I have heard nothing but praise for them here and I have had excellent experiences with their RMA department.

And yes, the cables come with the modular units.

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'd probably avoid the XFX PSU purely on the basis of their somewhat hit-and-miss customer service. I appreciate that the XFX PSUs are generally made by Seasonic (my preferred choice) but returns and service are worth it, imho.

I'd probably go for a Seasonic or Corsair supply - I've got a G-series Seasonic 650W in one of mine, and I've been really happy with it. Quiet, powerful and efficient to boot!

14. halfinched

ok XFX out the window and back to square one :)

Am I being unduly biased by a shiny bit-tech cert gold stamp? The review they just did where the XFX came out on top doesn't feature a single Corsair unit...

Last edited: 7 May 2013
  15. Shirty

Yes it was rather odd doing a roundup in 2013 without even mentioning Corsair, considering they have now got a huge presence in the market.

Quick guide:

CX - 3 year warranty, fixed/hybrid modular cables, Bronze (£75)
    GS - 3 year warranty, fixed cables, bluen LED, Bronze (£85)
    TX - 5 year warranty, fixed/hybrid modular cables, Bronze (£95)
    HX - 7 year warranty, hybrid modular cables, Gold (£115)
    AX - 7 year warranty, full modular cables, Platinum (£140)

There is one below the CX but that's only really for office builds.

For 750-800w models of the above you can expect to spend something like the number in brackets.

16. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I wouldn't buy anything from XFX - Their psu might be great, but they are, IMO, a real sucky company.

17. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I'm another person that would steer clear of xfx. There was a reason they were dropped by nvidia as one of their board partners and the xfx x58 motherboard, back in the day, was frankly shocking and barely ran at stock. Their support was a waste of time.

I've been really impressed with my seasonic platinum 660 XP series psu. It's deathly quiet but can be a bit expensive.

18. halfinched

So there's quite a range - don't really want to go above £150 and was hoping for more the £110 price range.

Can anyone explain the difference between a HX and an AX I've looked at their pages on Scan and am buggered if I can work it out but its been a long day at work and I probably couldn't see the woods for the trees right now.

Seasonic X-Series 750W
    Corsair AX760i Digital 760W Full Modular Power Supply (i'm a sucker for a product with an "i" on the end of the name that costs £15 more - does it just give you the software?)
    Corsair AX760 760W Full Modular Power Supply (PSU)
    Corsair HX 750W Professional Gold 80PLUS® Power Supply

19. Shirty

AX is much more expensive due to its Platinum rating (well over 90% efficiency at all loads) as opposed to the HX's Gold rating.

This requires very expensive components and a more complex design. AFAIK without looking the AX is also fully modular as opposed to hybrid, although in practice you need the 24 pin and supplementary power connectors whatever you're doing so full modular has always confused me a bit :p

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've often wondered about the use of fully modular, but then I hit on a possible scenario - having two systems that are only ever used at different times, two sets of cables, and moving the PSU?

If money isn't tight, I'd do a Seasonic X series (iirc) or an AX Corsair :thumb: