1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you earn/should I earn?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by sotu1, 30 Apr 2013.

1. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I work as a Field Engineer/ 2nd Line Support. I work for Deathtakers competitor I guess you could say. :) (I also know him from College)

Been with the company for 1 year 9 months and on £21K.
    Jobs alright, I have pretty decent quals but they seem to bring nout extra :/

Guess that's the way the cookie crumbles... oh well.
    Hopefully once I get into networking that will pay some more wonga ;D

Last edited: 5 May 2013
  2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

The not driving thing is a bit of a pickle but you're effectively being paid at a rate for unskilled labour whilst the work you do clearly is skilled labour. Perhaps you're part time and your employer is extremely flexible about your education - perhaps not. Doesn't sound entirely fair to me but then I think there is more to your situation than you have explained?

Minimum wage at 20 is not great, I'd expect a tenner an hour for what you're doing, maybe £15 if you are truly **** hot. I say this because that'd be what I be willing to pay as an employer.

3. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm in a different country, but perhaps the numbers will provide a point of reference. I'm in my mid-30s, have a college degree, and do various multimedia work in a non-management role for a government contractor. I've worked with the same company for about 10 years now (about 6 years in my current position). After taxes, medical insurance, retirement, and other miscellaneous deductions, my net pay is somewhere in the low-£20K area.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Which country supermonkey? Cost of living in other countries usually varies and skews what you earn

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, but you work for friggin' NASA. Epic super man-points right there!

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

'Murica

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Obviously there is more than one Texas... :p

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

He could be an Aussie at a push ;)

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Bit late to the party but I work in Utility Arb (completely irrelevant but shows what other industries offer) The lowest/starting pay within our company is 16k PA as a trainee, at the top of the spectrum we have tree surgeons on 40+k PA, and anything in between as people get paid based on what they are worth/how hard they work.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sky is the limit mate really, if you become a Marketing Director of a massive firm then 6 figures is easily obtainable.

Right now, it depends on how much experience you have.

If less than one year, about £20-£25k
    If around two years £25-£30k
    If four years or so you should be on at least £30k, and maybe heading past £35k.

Source: I work in media, in London and I meet and work with literally dozens of people in marketing almost every day.

EDIT: Just seen you have 3 years experience - ok so about around £30k

Massively ambitious. I don't know anyone at, or near this level at 27.

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Sounds about right for the role though, our 2nd line guys get around £25k + a BMW as a company car.

Certs only increase wages when moving jobs & need to be combined with experience. For example my last 5 certs in the past 3 years haven't got me a bump in wages but do make my life easier & make me more valuable to other companies if I decide to move.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'll keep my head down then, I'm obviously doing something right here!

In all seriousness though the London market is something of a mystery to me, I left before I'd managed to start a career up there.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If you are on £40k in Marketing with 3 years experience then yes, keep your head down.

Don't get me wrong though, the London market is great, you won't find such a diverse range of companies to work for anywhere else in the country (world?) and the sky really is the limit for pay, but you also have to be realistic, there are also a lot of candidates who could do your job just as well as you!

14. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I am part time and this is reasonably flexable around my university days, the reason for the pay is the company I now work for took over the company I did work for. Previously I was on a low wage as I had just started work in IT, within a year I have learn't enough that I now single handed support all the clients that moved as part of the take over (other engineer left)

I was expecting something higher, was very deflated when I got the pay rate, and on the note of driving, I cannot afford to drive on my wage so until then increase it I cannot drive.

15. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I think that wage is a little bit unfair to be honest. When I was first line support I was on 17.5k with a decent bonus, always ended up being about 20 - 21k. Your job sounds a bit more like what mine is now, I look after SMBs - I think I personally look after about 10 clients, with maybe 45 servers and 400 desktops collectively - but I also do a lot of 1 off job's for other SMBs who don't have support contracts, normally installations, disaster recovery, training etc etc. I also do quite alot of consultation with IT departments and help them create good IT strategies.

16. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Late to the party as always, but I work as a Digital Account Manager for a Medium Sized Business in London.

I look after 7 Enterprise level clients and have several years experience doing this, among other things (Web dev/SEO/Email and CRM).

I am 6 months in, and currently on £35k, which was a nice step up from my previous job.

I am 26 and living in London.

17. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Since Hugh replied, thought I might too!

I'm 26 and on £42k a year, I'm a buyer who just left the games industry with hmv's demise. But was lucky enough to be picked up a week later.

Industries pay different amounts, buyers/merchandisers can make a healthy chunk if they're in control of a big enough budget/P&L. For example mine was £30m(ish), some buyers at clothes retailers will be on £32k but at the same "level" because they're dealing with £5 t-shirts and not £249.99 PS3's.

Horses for courses.

18. Pooeypants

Pooeypants What's a Dremel?

I'm 28 earning 24k as a protein purification technician. Pay in science is abysmal, tell your kids to stay away unless it's medicine or pharmacy!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Pay in medicine is also poor, in light of the hours worked and the sheer stress of the job. Pharma is where the money is.

20. AverageNinja

AverageNinja Almost an EpicNinja

A whopping €3.20/hour!
    I love writing reviews, so I'm hoping to become a hardware/game journalist!