1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Out of USB headers

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by halfinched, 10 May 2013.

1. halfinched

halfinched What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Fixed my pc - thanks for all the help, turned out it was the psu.

Replaced it with a corsair ax760i

As I already have an antec khuler h2o and a case with front usb ports the 2 usb headers on my motherboard were full... in the interest of playing with the new toy i've disconnected the front port usb header cable and installed the ax760i on the mobo port.

Is there anyway I can split the usb ports or somehow wire up my front usb ports so i can use them if i want to?

build:

intel i7 3770k
    corsair ax760i psu
    1gb sapphire hd5870 vapor-x oc
    2x 16gb corsair ddr3 1600 vengence red
    antec khuler h2o
    asus maximus v formula mobo
    fractal design r2

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you could add a usb card with internal connector, might need an adaptor for some cards though

3. halfinched

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

are the front usb port usb 2 or 3? that card you would need an adaptor to convert the usb3 connection into a usb 2 one.

if you want to expand your internal usb2 headers, this is what you really want

Last edited: 10 May 2013
  5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

6. halfinched

@richcreedy is this the card you meant? sorry you linked to an image and it took me a bit of digging to find it. I know this is probably a silly question but how does this connect to the motherboard? It's not pci / pci-e... do you run a cable from it to the header and then everything on it shares that port? if so would the khuler or 760i still run their software ok?

would one of the pci / pci-e boards be better?

@jinq-sea - struggling to find a usb3 header to usb 2 cable only solution i've found is to use multiple cables which will leave an ugly mountain of cable were i already have too much cable anyway...

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

doh, yes that was what I meant to post, lol, if you look at the bottom of the board you will see a usb header that just plugs straight into the motherboard, via an internal usb lead, additional power is supplied to the sockets via a connection to the psu, and yes the 760i should still work.

edit... just did a search on ebay and found these

Last edited: 10 May 2013
  8. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

NXT usb thing , I use it and its awesome, never gonna need all my 8 front usb ports, but if ya can i will etc.

NZXT IU01 - 6 internal and 2 external

9. halfinched

looks like it will solve the problem, sorry for slow reply been away for a long weekend.

where would you mount this in the case? I have a fractal design r2 and could maybe put it at the bottom of the hdd cage behind the front fan but the space in front of the psu if full of cables - i really need to grow some and learn how to do custom cables but the concept scares me!

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

just put it anywhere you can fit it, I believe it has a Velcro strip anyway