1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus reveals Z87 Motherboard Range

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 16 May 2013.

1. Hereisphilly

Hereisphilly What's a Dremel?

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Since when have earlier boards not been able to control the speed of 3-pin fans? They should tell that to my 2 3-pin xigmateks which Fan Xpert 2 is controlling right now.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

CPU fan connectors are unable to control 3-pin fans, chasis fan connectors are able to control 3-pin fans.

And the color scheme - i think my stomach is protesting :D.

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Thanks for the link hereisphilly.

Interesting that the TB_HEADER is still on the boards, despite the fact that the Thunderbolt EX expansion card hasn't made it to market yet, despite being promised since the launch of the Z77 boards.

Bit disappointed to see that the VI GENE still has a 16x/8x PCIe layout for GPUs, I was hoping for 16x/16x, but this must be an Intel limitation?

EDIT: Actually. TB_HEADER seems to have been removed from the GENE?

5. faugusztin

There is no x16/x8. There is only x16/NC, x8/x8 in case of Gene or x16/NC/NC, x8/x8/NC or x8/x4/x4 in case of other boards. The only exception from above is the Maximus VI Extreme with a PCIe lane multiplier.

And yes, it is the mainstream Intel CPU limitation, CPU has only 16 PCIe lanes, so there is nothing more to distribute. Well, actually there is, but not much - the PCH usually gives you additional 4 PCIe lanes, but that is used for PCIe x1 and various onboard devices.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The last Gene served me very well and still does, definitely going for the Gene again when haswell arrives, just don't see much of a point in bigger boards anymore.

7. Asouter

Asouter --------

I'd like to see a ROG Mini ITX, we haven't seen one of those yet, or maybe a TUF

8. NoobNeb

NoobNeb Enthusiastic Lurker

+1 for that
    I quite like the Gryphon w/ armour of course. I'd find an mATX mPower from MSI interesting too. I think mATX is what most should be using these days no need for full ATX really and there's still the possibility of 2 graphics cards and you've the freedom to install sound/network/whatevertakesyourfancy cards so more options than m-ITX.
    Undecided as of yet on the gold colour scheme :/ Good news about the fan headers though.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You don't know how happy you've just made our product marketing here LOL! After 'leaked feedback' they realized it looks better in a case so we hurried to take some photos of a typical build. :D

10. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

The first manufacturer to bring out the Haswell in an XL-ATX, will get my money.

No i dont really need xL-ATX, but as i dont like to fill my slots with gfx cards, the extra slots are so usefull to me.

Colour scheme looks fine to me, Black/Gold.

So am sticking with My gig x58 ud9, until such a time.

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I am really liking the look of the Hero... It fulfils basically everything that I want from a Haswell board (presuming the performance is good) which is:

Looks good
    Black and Red
    ATX (not M-ATX or EATX)
    Well spaced PCIe lanes
    Not expensive (as the current ATX RoG boards can be)

And I see that the lanes will run either x16/NC/NC, x8/x8/NC or x8/x4/x4 which is pretty good. Definitely got me excited for my next upgrade!

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Man, the black and gold colour scheme looks rank.

13. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I am controlling the speed of a 3 pin fan using the CPU fan header right now.

14. faugusztin

Probably the FanXpert2 feature. I know any ASUS board i used starting from P965, going through P35 up to the Z68 boards were unable to do that.

15. Freemanator

Freemanator What's a Dremel?

I'm just hoping they come with onboard ac wireless, and then I'm sold.

I think a previous PSU fault has damaged my mobo, leaving the wireless dodgy, and some intermittent hard drive drop out.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

All boards with WiFi are .ac standard.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It looks a lot better once in a black case IMHO, but i will let you make your own mind up.
    [​IMG]

18. faugusztin

Not really. There is a reason why people usually choose the boards with subtle colors - they could have as well made those heatsinks UV Reactive Neon Yellow and it wouldn't make the difference compared to "gold". Gold and brown... Seriously ?

Probably the only ones celebrating are the Noctua fans because of the Gyphon :) (one of the better looking boards) and the other acceptable boards are the Maximus series, as usual.

The Z87 I-Deluxe is ugly as the older Biostar boards, like http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=390 .

Last edited: 17 May 2013
  19. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Which Asus Executives Wife/PA/Concubine elected to go with the gold/yellow of the mainstream boards and were they perhaps on illicit medication with hallucinogenic qualities at the time???

Were they perhaps trying to become the Victoria Beckham of the PC world???

It's absolutely hideous!!!

20. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Looks like ASrock motherboards lol

Tags: Add Tags