1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox One The Xbox One Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by samkiller42, 21 May 2013.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's a prime example of how US focused Microsoft are. Over there, everything is on cable, and everybody has cable, so HDMI in makes some level of sense. Go overseas and this falls apart - the only thing I would plug in to an Xbox One would be PlayStation.

I also don't get what happens if you have more than one box, or an AV receiver with up to six devices plugged in. HDMI-CEC gets confused at the best of times, so this "control" they're touting over your "life" is going to be a mess.

CoD good? Really? They just said that you can run and jump over obstacles automatically. That means they're bad at games. Or drunk.

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Bah, lost the stream now. Did they ever get to a point where they said how much it will cost?

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I am on cable too, like most of the 10k+ cities in the country. The point i was making was how it will require me to ask my cable provider for a HDMI box instead of using only my TV with built-in DVB-C tuner. While i do understand why they did it this way (no need to certify their XBOX One for each and every cable provider, no need to have separate versions with specific tuners for specific country - US & Canada (ATSC) vs "Rest of the World" (DVB-T/DVB-T2 terrestrial; DVB-C cable; DVB-S/DVB-S2 satellite), it is still a bad solution - i will have to use a crappy, slow and buggy cable box from the cable provider instead of the acceptable interface on the TV. And a extra remote too.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Well, the attempt is to use HDMI-CEC to change channels etc via the Xbox, but you are absolutely right that it will only work (or possibly work) on new boxes, rather than what people may actually be using.

The UK, for example, has a lot of people using Freeview (HD) through free-to-air digital transmissions, direct on their TV. No box to plug in!

EDIT: No cost mentioned so far.

No backwards compatibility.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I don't know why they are obsessed with this all in one solution - I never do and never will watch the telly on my Xbox (truth is I don't watch much telly anyway). If I am going to buy one it will because I can play games on it. From that point of view I wasn't very impressed really - I may as well just plug my PC into the projector.

6. faugusztin

I am talking about the overlay feature (the one where they added an extra graphic around the tv stream with fantasy stats), that requires the video stream to enter the console through HDMI input port - and that is where it requires the box we don't have/use, because the tuner is in the TV :) .

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Dude, I did say 'might'.

Sam

9. faugusztin

Meanwhile we all use Steam with even bigger restriction :lol:

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

True, but there seems to be a far bigger second hand market for console games out there, which this is going to impinge on...or just push prices down by however much MS charge for this re-registration.

11. burnoutuk

burnoutuk What's a Dremel?

Lots more on the 'Xbox America' here Wired

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

The hand gesture thing would be no good, I am forever waving at one of my kids to get out of the way when im watching tv, the last thing I would want is it changing to internet explorer or skype popping up with the mother in law making an incoming call on my tv

Wait to see what E3 brings

13. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

The thing looks like a breezeblock.

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No. After showing CoD, they just cut. Just like that. They showed a counter to E3, for 3sec, and that is all.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

[​IMG]

That is one monster cooler and I think I'm right in saying the first time heatpipes have been used in a home console!

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Very true. Well it's a PC, with most likely a loud fan like the first XBox 360 model and first PS3 model

Man the WiiU looks better and better:
    [​IMG]
    33W under heavy load (although, rumor says that the CPU and GPU got a massive OC, which explains why games runs smoother now, and also the reason why Nintendo included a 75W PSU with the system.. and not a 60W, or 45W).

18. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

19. faugusztin

Actually, that fan looks is 12cm at least, and considering all the power saving features of current x86 CPU, it doesn't look like if it will be noisy. Yes, the fan will be probably noticeable a bit under load, but you won't be able to hear it in non-gaming tasks.

20. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Looking forward to this, it looks like a bigger case so I will be able to build a proper gaming pc inside it when I take it apart and do an epic case mod :D