1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics [SOLVED] Which AMD GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lxrysprtmscl, 24 May 2013.

1. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

I am currently using a 512MB HD 3870 Toxic on a VW266H (25.5in @ 1920x1200) and a E172FP (17in @ 1280x1024). I play Civ V and a bunch of older games: NHL 09, NFSU2, RCT, etc.

Well, I just got a steal on a used U2410f A03. I will be using it as my main monitor with the E172FP as my secondary and the VW266H as my third. I want to be able to play Crysis 3 on the U2410f at full resolution, but doesn't need to be highest graphics setting.

I will be playing games (Civ V, NHL 09, Crysis 3 mostly), using SketchUp, Office, Skype, occasionally Photoshop and watching Blu-ray movies. I am a heavy multi-tasker; often browsing web, IM'ing on Skype, using SketchUp, and watching a movie or listening to FLAC.

Which GPU should I upgrade to? I would like to connect U2410f to either DVI or DP, the VW266H to HDMI. the E172FP only has VGA, so I assume I'll need an adapter for that; using DVI-to-VGA adapter currently.

Would it be possible to Crossfire a new AMD GPU with my HD 3870? Would it even be worth it to?

update.
    ordered the PowerColor HD 7950 3GB.

Last edited: 31 May 2013
  2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

4. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

Ah, so the HD 7870 would be good enough for my needs? That is the GPU I was looking at, perfect. My budget is under $300USD, so around 227 euro. And if hadn't noticed, I am across the pond in the US. bit-tech is my favorite PC site, though.

I was actually looking at this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605
    When budget allows, I would like to liquid cool it, so trying to stick with a reference card. Already in the planning stages of a custom build, hence the SketchUp usage. ;)

Sad news, indeed. I figured, as much, though. Thanks.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

6. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

Don't the Tahiti LE core HD 7870s not adhere to the HD 7870 reference design, though? Reason being I would like to go with liquid cooling down the line. Granted, I only know of EK building full cover GPU blocks, so have been going by their configurator. http://www.coolingconfigurator.com

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

8. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

from that article, "The PCB is custom made and features part number LF R19FE version 1.1 on our test sample." That is written below the second image of the GPU.

edit.
    That would mean it isn't reference design, correct?

Last edited: 24 May 2013
  9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

just asked EK via facebook for an answer for you :D

10. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

well, I have narrowed it down to three cards.. which would be best?

a) PowerColor HD7950 Boost State - $279.99USD
    b) HIS HD7870 IceQ - $249.99USD
    c) XFX R7870 Double D - $219.99USD

reminder of what I am looking for..
    VW266H @ 1920x1200 connected to HDMI.
    U2410f @ 1920x1200 connected to DP.
    E172FP @ 1280x1024 connected to DVI via VGA adapter.
    I hope to purchase another U2410f, as well, once I get the funds.

VW266H won't always be used, but would like to keep activated for sound.. I want to connect my PC to my A/V Receiver for better sound. For some reason, I can't get optical from my motherboard to work on my receiver.

Some game usage (Crysis 3, Civ5, and older games), SketchUp, light Photoshop, etc.

I am leaning toward the XFX, but the $30 more for the PowerColor is tempting. I haven't ever used any of these three brands before. How are they?

11. Kodongo

Kodongo What's a Dremel?

^ You should definitely step up to the 7950 for a multitude of reasons. It is much better value than the 7870s you have shown as it has a more powerful GPU under the hood (you are looking at 7970GE/680 performance with a mild overclock). The reasons why the prices of the AMD cards you have chosen are so close is because you are comparing non-reference 7870s to a reference 7950. Non-reference may give you better air cooling but this is negated by the fact that that is difficult to find waterblocks for non-reference PCBs should you choose to watercool. You won't have this problem with the reference 7950 which should fit the majority of 7900 waterblocks available on the market.

With non-reference cards, the vendors can distinguish themselves with high overclocks, superior cooling and lower noise but with reference cards, the only real difference between vendors is the warranty as the innards of the card are virtually identical. I think the PowerColor is by far the best of the three options you have listed, even more so given your desire to go down the water cooling route later.

12. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

Are those two HD7870s non-reference?! I have been using EK's cooling configurator to find out. They were both on there, unless I mistakenly chose the wrong GPU.. hmm.

I actually hadn't even considered performance. I figure anything I upgrade to will be better than my aged 512MB HD 3870 Toxic.

The fact that the HD 7950 is barely a stretch of my budget and it is reference, will probably drop for it. Even comes with four games I don't own / haven't played. :rock:

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

imo watercooling a 7870 is a waste of money

14. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i vote for the 7950

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

7950 too. Get this and if you want to watercool it you have a reference PCB to play with.

My 2c on watercooling is that it's wholly unnecessary unless you plan on some serious overclocking, desire a silent(ish) rig or want that special look. If you're just sticking it in a box to use as a daily gaming rig, air cooling will do you proud.

16. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

Thanks for the input, everybody. I appreciate it. I just purchased the PowerColor HD 7950. I should have it by Tuesday. :thumb:

My main desire to go liquid cooling is for the silence. My desktop seats at desk level. It really is a desktop. :D