1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Project]: Big Bro' Prodigy (E-ATX mod) FINAL PICTURES: 12th March - 2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nikkop, 12 Dec 2012.

1. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Still love the direction, but it'll soon "look" like I'm copying you!

2. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks Satan! ;) You mean you'll do the same build/concept? :)

I'm still waiting for parts to be able to start modifying again, let's hope I get them next week :(

best regards
    /nikkop

3. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hi! all @ Bit-Tech! :)

So, my birthday was yesterday and this package dumped in, what a timing! :D

[​IMG]

An update coming up soon enough! ;)

(I'm throwing a birthday party this weekend so don't know if I'll have the time then! :eek: )

Best Regards
    nikkop

4. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

UPDATE! :D

Modification of the front panel - 24/05 -2013

UPDATE 24/5 - 2013

Hi all!

Hope you’re all doing great! :)
    I got a package on the 22nd of May that consisted of some mesh for my build.

I was planning to release a big update where I use all the mesh I’ve gotten but after last night, when I did some working on this project, I was so happy about the results that I couldn’t resist to share it with you now! :D

So here it is!
    Made a change on the front panel. I love the look of steel and mesh so I pretty much had to ;)

Get ready!

As most of you know the black version of the Prodigy has some kind of mesh in the front panel.
    [​IMG]

Because I love the look and color of steel and mesh I thought that I should modify the front panel so suit my needs. I was lucky that my father, who provided me with the mesh, could make some custom cuts.
    Here’s the original front panel (which I have scratched a bit) and my 1mm steel mesh on the side.
    [​IMG]

I remove the “mesh” of the Prodigy. It’s pretty thin and light, nothing fancy, but it works :)
    [​IMG]

Test mounting what is to be done! :D
    [​IMG]

I mark the spots where I will use the rivet gun. I had to drill up the holes a little bit with a 2mm drill. No problems doing that tho :)
    [​IMG]

I did the same with the front panel. I marked where I wanted the mounting holes and I then drilled in the plastic front panel.
    [​IMG]

The front panel with 4 drilled holes - one in each corner.
    [​IMG]

And here’s the rivet gun! I’m very excited to see the results.
    [​IMG]

The new modified front panel with real 1mm thick steel mesh! All that is left to do is mount it! :)
    [​IMG]

And here’s the final result! I was so satisfied with the results that I’ll give you a double sized image, haha! I think it turned out great and looks amazingly good, as I love the look of steel and mesh. I like the industrial feeling :)
    [​IMG]

This was, as I said, a small update because I couldn’t resist to share it! :D

I got a few more mesh-parts than what I used in this project, I wonder what I will use those for? ;)

Hope you liked this update (even if you don’t like mesh), hehe :)

I’d love to hear what you think about it!
    Thanks for following this log

Take care!
    Best Regards
    Nikkop

Last edited: 24 May 2013
  5. Baguette

Baguette What's a Dremel?

Oh wow... Just so damn impressive! Such a bloody brilliant and well accomplished idea... :O

6. Shurika

Shurika Minimodder

The mesh looking good! And Happy Birthday, sorry for late congratulations:clap:

7. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

That mesh looks great on there, i love how you can still see hints of the honeycomb underneath but it's more subtle than with the standard mesh.

8. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot, appreciate it! :)

Thanks! :) Better late than never, as they say! :D

Thanks a bunch! Yeah from different angles you see more or less of what's underneath. I wonder, if I place LED's inside the case, how much will actually leak out in the front. I don't want too much to leak :(

/nikkop

9. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I'm really glad to see you're still working at this. It looks really great.

I'd love to have a go at doing something similar, with the brilliant small form factor case. Would be a great downsize from a R3.

I will have another closer look at this later on and see if I think I could do a cheeky copy one day.

10. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot for your words, appreciate it.

I see your urgue, it's lovely with small and compact cases! You could always cut that R3 into a smaller case! ;) I've seen a guy do it with the R2.

If you want I can find it and link it to you? :)

Here's a message for all of you! :

I just wanted to let you know that I've made the next modification/moment for the next update. The only thing that's left with that update is the selection and fix of all the pictures and the writing of the update (it actually takes quite some time! :) )

I'm at the moment at my family's house in another town and I couldn't bring my whole computer there, unfortunately.
    However, I managed to fit my beloved Big Bro' Prodigy inside the baggage! :) I had to remove all the rivets but I managed to get it down, haha.
    [​IMG]

But as I said, the modification is done. All I need to do now is to write the update and such stuff which takes some time. I hope I can get it done by this week :)

Hope you want to see some more updates! :D

Thanks in advance
    Best Regards
    nikkop

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Yes, yes we do :clap:

siliconfanatic likes this.
  12. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Haha great! And you shall get! :D

Actually I started to write the update today.
    However, I then decided that I wanted to cut a specific part, of the upcoming update, a little more than I already have.
    Unfortunately I do not have the tools required at the moment. However, in the weekend I'll be able to do the modification and on Sunday I should be able to post the update! :)

So Sunday it is! :) (European time ;) )

Thanks for understanding
    Best Regards
    nikkop

13. Fridge Gnome

Fridge Gnome Blue Everywhere

I'll say it now before I start the project log, you totally inspired me to get a Prodigy and put an ATX motherboard inside it.

I'm not sure if I sure if I should thank you, or curse you for making me spend all my money. :D

Sweet looking build man!

14. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Haha, nice to hear, thanks! :)

Will you be going the same route as I or will you align the stuff in a different way?

I guess you should curse me ;) Haha! :) However if you success you can thank me :D

15. Fridge Gnome

Fridge Gnome Blue Everywhere

The motherboard will be in roughly the same place, but I'm going to try to set everything else up a little differently.

I'm interested to see what painting you do. I'm wanting to paint mine, but I'm not sure what to do about the flexible handles the case has.

16. lobster_johnson

lobster_johnson Fear the Claw of Justice!

That clean mesh front panel is niiiiiiiiiice!

I also love this kind of project, since I'm of the opinion that most PC cases have way too much space in them.

17. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Ah I see, well I'm excited to see yours! :)

Yeah I've been thinking about those handles too. It's some kind of plastic and rubber material, I've got no idea how to paint it properly. But I guess the best way to find out is to try it out :)

Thanks man! :)

I totally agree with you! This will be compact as hell and not much space left for other things, haha.

However, here's an update below. Enjoy! :)

[​IMG]

UPDAAAAAAATE! :D

Modification of the top - 16/06 -2013

UPDATE 16/06 - 2013

YOYO WHATSUP!
    Hope you're all good :)
    Here's an update from me about how I modified the top of the case. I did some sawing to change the looks and the function of it and I even mounted another piece of mesh, just like the front panel.
    Why and what I did is to be seen below, so let's go! :)

Here's the case with the mesh on top for test-mounting. This is how I want it to be attached.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I get some help from my beloved tools :) I drill holes in both the mesh and in the top panel of the case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rivets look like small cute antennas on the case, haha :) Right before they are being struck into the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the mesh is in place! I like having the mesh on more than one place, so I try to use it where it can be used for a function and where it looks good :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since I've now attached the mesh I think it has to surve some kind of purpose, why would I otherwise place it there? (other from the looks, haha) :)
    I can't nor want to use the original 2x 120mm fan mounting in the top so I'm getting rid of it. I think that stuff you don't use and doesn't fill a purpose, get rid of it! ;)
    Since I drilled out all the rivets to be able to transport the case in my suitcase the case is in a couple of pieces :p However, here's the top and the rear panel.
    [​IMG]

So here I've put some tape on where and what to saw. Have you figured out yet what and why? :D
    I was of course forced to remove the mesh I recently attached, to be able to saw. What a waste of rivets, haha :)
    [​IMG]

So let's get some work done!
    [​IMG]

So what I wanted to saw is now done.
    The edges are still rough and not fixed. I'll fix them all later on when I grind all of the edges from the cutting. This will of course be done once I'm done with all the sawing/cutting :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's the reason why I did the cut! I, of course, wanted to be able to mount a couple of fans in the top. I'll use a minimum of 2x 120mmm fans, perhaps larger if I can get them in :)
    [​IMG]

After I did the modification above I thought that the hole I did was a little too small. Sure, the space was enough for what I wanted to use it for, but I didn't think it was particulary nice that you could see the traces of the original top.
    So I placed some new tape of what and where I want to cut :)
    [​IMG]

This time my dad got an idea of using an angle grinder instead. A new friend of mine I can tell you, it worked amazingly good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's how the new hole turned out. I myself think that the hole is better this way as you don't see any trace of how it looked before. Anyway this ain't entirely done. I will even out/smooth the edges, grind them and then paint the top. It's now rough cut to show what it will look like, but there's little work left with that :)
    [​IMG]

Test-mounted and it looks good if you ask me! The positive thing is that I can mount fans in the top, which I will of course do :)
    And you can barely see the hole thru the mesh, wonderful :)
    Also that is plays along great in color and structure with the mesh I put in the front and the back. I will have some mesh on/inside the case so that a big part of the case is covered :)
    [​IMG]t

So that was about the top! As I mentioned it's rough cut and I will even the edges out, grind and paint the case. Even if the top won't be visible under the mesh it's a good feeling knowing that it's done in a proper and good way :)
    I've already started on the next update so it will be out in a while :)

Please do not hesitate to comment or ask questions, I get happy when people respond :)

Thank you for reading and following!

Best Regards
    Nikkop

18. Nikkop

Nikkop What's a Dremel?

Hi all!

I've got a question perhaps you could help me with! :p

I'm considering perhaps going water cooling in this build!
    So I'm now trying to figure out what kind of tubing to use and what liquid.
    I have a couple of thoughts, would love to hear what you think. Should I follow the motherboard colortheme or the mesh?

• Clear (see through) normal tubing, orange liquid.
      Example: [​IMG]
    or
    • Chromed copper pipes, no-colored liquid (as it won't be visible thru the pipes anyway).
      Example: [​IMG]

Because of all the mesh I'll use on/in the case the silver color won't feel foreign as it will be visible on multiple places.
    But the question is which one to go with :eek: I have quite some time to make up my mind as there's still some time until I will probably water cool.

Just thought I could check what you think! :)

Thanks

/nikkop

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm all about the metal pipes.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

+1

With a healthy dose of inhibitor, of course. ;)