1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Speculation Shenanigans - NVIDA GTX 7XX Series - GTX 770 £330

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 23 Apr 2013.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I wouldn't recommend it if you're doing anything involving OpenGL or compute.

That said, you'll be able to find second hand 670s for cheap soon.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

There's been some 'performance figures' put out for the gtx 770 here. Sadly nothing showing figures against a 680 though, but it confirms 7ghz memory for the new card. But, like the new gk110 chip based cards, it will have gpu boost 2.0. This is a real bonus for those looking to overclock on air, as you can set your own temperature thresholds of when the card starts downclocking the boost.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I've never observed this behaviour with my GTX 670 in SLI and one does go over 80 degrees in certain games!

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I observed it all the time on my GTX 670.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So you actually get a dip in MHz at a certain temperature threshold?

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

The voltage is auto these days though. Can't complain too much at the overclock I get on my 680 but as someone who likes to push it... I'm not very fond of being safe voltage limited.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Then why don't you mod the BIOS and push a little more voltage through it?

Linky

YEHBABY likes this.
  8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yes exactly that. Have a read of the Kelper Boost section of this

9. Stanley Tweedle

I did consider that briefly last year but I heard rumours that it wouldn't allow greater voltage.

So you can actually get higher voltage with mod?

10. The_Crapman

Well on my phantom, once it hit's 70 it knocks the voltage down from 1.175 to 1.162 but maintains it's speed at 1149mhz. Higher temps result in the clocks comings down. There's been times when I've had games crash which i suspect has been caused by instability in the overclock at the lower voltage.

Are your 670's the ones on 680 pcb's? It really depends what the manufacturer has set the thresholds to on your card. Better cards like the winforce 3, dc2 top and evga superclock/Cheesecake will allow more leeway on temps in the firmware to allow higher clcoks. Gainward weren't quite so generous. The cooler on this is also pretty poor.

Once i get it under water I'll have a look at toying with the bios, but as it is, i can't keep the temps down and voltage up so there's no point.

Last edited: 27 May 2013
  11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I have a DC2 in my top 'hot' slot and a Gigabyte below. The latter is a 680 PCB but the DC2 is an ASUS custom.

My clocks stay solid regardless of +80 temperatures! Always boosted! :D

12. The_Crapman

13. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

They have only just released the so called " Titan " why would you want to bring out a 700 series sets of cards with 2 or 3 close to it for a fraction of the Titans cost.

I think NVIDIA should with being the leader of the 2, develop alongside gamers and other software designers a much bigger and better update for everyone involved. Surely hardware of a GPU is way too superior to the software it produces on our screens. The Software/Driver optimisation would make them more money in the long run surely especially to take that lead as leader of graphics hardware. I think they should take 6~8months out doing the whole overkill on the drivers for the current 600 series and stomp on any developments AMD will have in the same time period, which in turn would bring the cost per 600 series units down, again making it a better purchase.

Although this is just a business graduates very simplified POV, but never-the-less drivers should be pushed more than their physical counter parts

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Try it. It only takes a few minutes, and you can revert back just as quickly.

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Even if GTX770 goes out for £350, I think it's better to buy second hand 670 and SLI. They should go for £200 soon. I would need to sell mine and add £150 to get 770, which wouldn't give me that more more performance, like second 670 would.

16. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I think that this launch is primarily a method for them to get rid of the speedbinned/bad chips from there quadro push.

They had a notoriously difficult time in getting pristine chips out of the fab plant, so you'd find they have a stockpile of varying quality chips to sell off.

Quite sound business logic if you ask me.

17. The_Crapman

There's a big flaw in your plan, in that that games on pc don't talk directly to the graphics card, but through DirectX, a Microsoft product. Drivers are simply used to optimise the performance of the cards for different games and normally come out within a week of the game. They'd have to charge for those new drivers to make any sort of business out of them, which would drive people away.

18. The_Crapman

19. Stanley Tweedle

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Last edited: 30 May 2013