1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Extreme Haswell/GTX Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nchhabs, 26 May 2013.

1. holbob

holbob What's a Dremel?

I would wait until next year until the processor generation after Haswell will show significant improvement.

2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

alright dude, there is no need to be like that about things, maybe I'm thinking of seasonic's lower end units, seem to remember them having an annoying capacitor whine under high load, which I wouldn't want if I was buying a power supply.

Anyway my apologies nothing wrong with Seasonic units. Although my personal preferance for building such a high end rig would still be Enermax

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

if you haven't done the research and only have personal experience to go by, don't give advice i guess?

Last edited: 31 May 2013
  4. thetrashcanman

It is a forum mate, things are supposed to be discussed, including personally experiences

5. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

This is actually something I'm seriously considering at the moment - preliminary Haswell benchmarks aren't showing the sort of performance numbers I was hoping for. Maybe I should wait for Ivy-E (which should come out October) and just upgrade the graphics cards for the moment.

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Looking at results. 5ghz = 100c on H100i is bad!

7. thetrashcanman

What are you aiming to do with the rig? Purely gaming or Video editing/encoding?

If its the last one more so over gaming then Ivy-E would be a good bet, if not there you are probably better off sticking with Haswell or even your current rig throwing in a couple of gtx 780's, bigger monitor maybe? Or some triple monitor goodness even?

And a full on watercooling setup, would be my suggestions

8. nchhabs

Yeah eventual rig would be served by 3 Dell 2711s on a WSGF edition stand. Would also be doing some video editing, encoding and streaming, so thinking Ivy-E would be the smarter choice in the long run. I've been doing a lot of reading in the last week on water cooling, and am thinking of most likely doing a full wc'd rig at the time Ivy-E comes out.

Considering the fact Haswell is barely 15% faster than Sandy Bridge, I think I might just replace the two 580s I've got in the current rig with 2 or 3 780s, and worry about a complete rebuild in October/November.

9. thetrashcanman

:thumb: good idea mate :)

10. nchhabs

Yeah mate - ridiculous temperatures indeed!

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Looking at prices aria have the best prices right now.

Most of the boards are well designed and priced. Highest end Giga board is ridiculously priced.