1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i7-4770K CPU Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 1 Jun 2013.

1. bullseye

bullseye Who dares wins

@andrew8200m

There is no justification for the ignorance and the double standards you have demonstrated.

Being a simple working class peasant, I can understand by looking at the graphs (stock and OC) How people feel they cant justify the expense of upgrading from there current setups for little gain in performance.

The majority of members on bt are enthusiasts so comparing the OC of the chips is valid. getting more umph for your buck is no bad thing especially if money is tight.

2. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Looks like my upgrade will be 2011 and not haswell

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Am I the only one who thinks that the point of Haswell was not processing grunt but power efficiency? So yeah, I would not expect a massive leap in performance, but I would expect a big leap in TDP and power consumption (and correspondingly some new specs for power supplies).

Seriously, why the drama?

4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Cos we tend to be overclockers and always look for greater gaming performance first. It's probably a blessing in diss guys that the performance gain isn't that great compared to say sandy balls. I built my system last year and the last thing I want is a new mobo. The only thing I might have wanted from Ivy was PCIe 3.0 but that wooden have been much use unless perhaps i was running dual x8 SLI. I determined that I din't like the heat ivy produces and a drop in overclock from 4.9ghz on my 2500k to perhaps 4.7 on ivy or even this new cpu wouldn't be worth it.

I am someone who is still driven by performance over power consumption but I don't think my i5 is too bad even at 4.9ghz because I overclock using offset voltage.

I think it's great that my system still compares well to the latest in terms of performance.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Exactly! This and improved graphics capability. Would love to see how the HD4600 and the Iris 5200 compare against amd's apu lineup.

6. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

The comments on this CPU review...my god! What is wrong with you people? ALL that crap should be deleted.

Anyway, while its hardly blowing doors off I'm still very tempted by Haswell, not this one but the 4670K. Coming from an i7 920 my only reservation is that this will probably be the last year we are using DDR3. So buying a new system that will probably last me 4+ years it is frustrating knowing DDR4 will be out before the tim on my brand new CPU has dried. Such is life.

Benefits to upgrading from i7 920 with things like, power consumption, UEFI bios, 6 SATA 3 ports, PCI express 3 and....speed make it worth the punt I feel.
    My biggest hope is fullspeed Dolphin and PCSX2 support :)

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

What I don't think people are accounting for is that the Mhz wall is revealing itself again. With smaller and denser packages, CPUs tend to generate more heat (there's a ton more transistors) hence why this doesn't overclock as well.

Now what I really want to see? A version of the 4770K or the 4670K with the HD4600 removed. One that's made to be a pure CPU rather than an overclockable APU. That would be a fascinating take.

Why? Because the package is much less dense and thus much less hot. That said, I'm still impressed if only because the stock frequencies are a mile above previous iterations (2-4 generations ago) and that the power consumption is absurdly low. That and the fact that a quad core @2.5Ghz runs at 45w for a desktop processor.

Yes there have been mobile versions that use less power. No they are not faster.

8. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Disappointed that there's not enough reason to upgrade from my 4.8ghz Sandy Bridge 2500k with a new Haswell CPU/motherboard combo.

Knowing the Ivy Bridge issues and seeing those overclocked temperatures on engineering samples should of given Intel enough reason to go back to the old TIM process (we'd all pay a few dollars more for a cpu that o'clocks better)......... maybe there's a compatability issue with the older process and FINFET dies?

Ahh well, maybe there will be a new stepping in the coming months that fixes these issues?

For the now, I am disappointed....bitterly.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

The temps show that we are approaching a wall for Mhz, and we might finally see a 6 core mainstream CPU which can not be a bad thing.

4.8ghz sandy is still going to be 10-15% slower than 4.8ghz haswell. If you live on the bleeding edge 10-15% is still a upgrade. Its just about having an application that actually uses that CPU power.

Most people even on this forum do not use there pcs for an application where they would see noticeable gains. Those that do upgraded to x79 a long time ago and haswell is still slower than any application that could benifit from the speed increase as 6 cores does more in those program's.

Once all games require a quad core then we may see coding for 6 cores and upwards only then will most people feel the need to upgrade.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

11. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Because the power efficiency part was disappointing too. TDP has gone up as much as performance. At least, it did in the anandtech and beyond3d reviews - at the same clocks, peak performance/watt is about the same as before, with both power consumption and performance about 10-15% higher.

The idle power has gone down pretty nicely, but again, nowhere near as much as Intel claimed it would. Their marketing slides claimed about 30-50% idle power reduction, when it actually seems to be 20-30%.

This is a forum of enthusiasts, so people who upgrade. It's very hard justifying $200-400 on a CPU just to save 20W.

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I just read the comments section. Jeeze you guys.

Anyway, I think the point people are making is that for enthusiasts its something of a step backwards due to the increased heat at the high end of the OC spectrum. This is a bit of a shame, because, lets face it, its a part aimed at overclockers.

For everyone else the increased efficiency at the same clocks and lower TDP will be a welcome sight.

13. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

My 2600K is now 26 months old :D

I won't be getting rid either :thumb:

Ps. Combatus is one of the good guys remember...

14. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

m0ngy appears to be out to devalue this place.

I enjoy reading bittech in general and this topic should be one of the bigger points of interest for an enthusiast overclockers site. They have chosen their targets well to put people off coming here.

I for one would be very greatful to see a more stringent moderation of chat because quite frankly it does my head in having to wade through troll and bait to have a decent conversation about things. As I said it does this place no favours.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2013
    YEHBABY likes this.
  15. Meridius

Meridius What's a Dremel?

Hi All

I own a 750 Lynnfield CPU and wanted to know if it was worth upgrading to a Haswell CPU system.

Would I benefit upgrading my system would I see a big upgrade at the same clock speed

I do alot of desktop and programs work on three 1200 res monitors and sometimes the computer slows down even when transferring files from one hard drive to another it can kill the system.

thanks for any advice

16. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

@andrew8200m

I apologise. I seem to have miss read part of your posts.

I understand your intentions and believe they are in the right place. I also may have over reacted. Maybe I should have just said "please make comments in a more constructive manner". I am aware that here this also applies to me.

andrew8200m likes this.
  17. POMLORE

POMLORE What's a Dremel?

Have taken the plunge, jumping from an i7 930 @ 4.2,
    Parts coming wed

18. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Have fun :D

19. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

It would still be nice to see the difference between the Gamer's choice of the last few generations going back to the venerable Q6600...

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Good choice to be honest, you'll be getting a nicely noticeable upgrade with Haswell. Sure, it may not be worth it for those on SB/IB, but was it ever going to be? I'm happy to wait for the next socket revision, which'll mean I'll have gotten 3+ years out of my IB rig.

Tags: Add Tags