1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

you know i thought detailing was such a waste, till i saw a neighbors car before it got worked and straight after he got it back. his rx7 wass looking preety worn and loooks like it had a new paint job now

where did you get that bucket with the grill guard tho?

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It's impossible to convey to someone who isn't into it just how much of a difference detailing makes to how a car looks, until they see a good before/after example.

All the products I listed except the Sealey trolley came from CleanYourCar.co.uk. I order all my detailing supplies from there and Elite Car Care. There's nothing you could possibly need and not find between those two sites :)

Last edited: 2 Jun 2013
  3. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Used to use CYC a few years back. Great service as well

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

EDIT: In a related story, my little sisters boyfriend was out driving with his friend in his convertible Peugeot 306, with the top down, and they were stopped at some traffic lights. Along came a seagull and shat right down the bonnet, right down them, and right down the soft-top & boot. I hate seagulls :lol:

My recent purchase:

[​IMG]

120cm diameter, really nice and thick too unlike the cheapy rectangular one it replaces- only £20 on ebay ( protects the carpet from the horrible marks left by the wheels on my chair ).

5. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I lol'd.

In my recent purcahses, I've bought a red 3DS-XL.. and Pokemon.

6. Unicorn

The computer suite in school is a mobile, away from the main building, right on the edge of the grounds, which are surrounded by trees. Those trees above the mobile at the top of the bank are crawling with crows nests. I was working there yesterday evening (big visit this week, computer suite needed cleaned, tidied and some new displays put up hence overtime). I normally park at the front door of the main building but yesterday I opened the side vehicle gate and parked right at the door of the computer suite. When I was locking up at about 10 o'clock last night, the car was completely covered in bird crap :rolleyes:

7. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Guess you'll be adding a car-cover to that list of purchases... :D

8. Unicorn

That's really not a bad idea. What I really need is a big garage to store and work on it. The UK is absolutely the worst place to try and detail your car on the driveway >.> I just spent an hour claying and waxing a couple of panels, and the number of times I had to dry off the panel I was working on because a few spits of rain fell or some small leaves or dust fell on the paint is just ridiculous. It just about fits into our garage when it's not full from wall to wall with furniture, but that's not going to be moving this year so I'm forced to do it outside. So inconvenient :/

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Fitted car cover sounds great - but what happens when you put it on before the car is spotless? Dirt absorbed = dirt dragged over the paint again, and I'll be damned if I'm going to wash/hose the car every time I come home.

They do have their place though - a friend of mine has a mint, 34k mile S1 Rallye that has a custom-fitted cover in fancy fabric. Looks the bollocks, but at £380 it was a bit steep!

By coincidence I've been pulling my finger out to do a bit of cleaning. Managed to clay, polish and wax about half the car over two afternoon's effort. Just got the bumpers, bonnet and skirts/arches to do now, but all the plastic will be getting hand polished/waxed rather than machined as it's too fiddly and too scratched to be worth the effort.

About time I did something with it though - I haven't really done much in terms of proper cleaning since I bought it 3 years ago! Most of the nice days have been spent fixing/replacing something.

10. Unicorn

I agree with you on the car cover - definitely not something that would go well with a daily driven car which can never be kept spotless all the time. Mine has had zero detailing attention since this time last year, being washed at most once every 6 weeks since then, and I'm a bit disgusted at myself for letting it go. I've been through half a bottle of tar & glue remover (~250ml) and two 100g clay bars so far, and I've only done the boot lid, roof and the driver's side (rear quarter panel, door, wing). I'm only waxing it for now to stop any more contaminants embedding themselves before I eventually machine polish the whole thing to get rid of as many scratches, swirls and so on as I can. It's in such a dire state - you wouldn't believe how much brake dust, sap and tar there was left to be clayed on the lower half of the driver's door even after I'd washed it and hit it with Oblitarate. It will take me weeks of evenings to get it back to the standard it was a couple of years ago, and even at that, there are so many chips, dinges, deep scratches and other general carnage on the bodywork that it will probably never look as good as that ever again :(

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Blimey, you must have really filthy roads!

Even with 3+ years since mine's been clayed, about a third of a Bilt Hamber bar has comfortably done half or so of the car so far, and still has enough life to do the bits left.

Then again, metallic black will be a much softer paint to absorb crap into than a nice flat blue, and I'm leaving some of the scratches etc that have built up well alone - I'd rather have a nice patina than try and hide them away.

12. Unicorn

In a word, yes, we do :rolleyes: There is more tar on my car than on some roads in certain parts of the country :( I'll take a few pictures of the bar before and after when I'm doing the other side to give you an idea of just how bad it actually is.

As a point of interest, I'm switching back to the more expensive Meguiars clay from Sonus blue because it's so much easier to knead and hold on to. I went for the Sonus blue because it was cheaper, but I see why it's cheap now, it's a much harder clay to use and I find myself constantly having to warm it with a hot air gun to knead it effectively.

I did read something on Detailing World about a patent issue that Sonus had in the US which had forced them into ceasing production of their old green clay and instead buying and re-packaging "Magic Clay" as their own. It definitely pales in comparison to Meguiars white clay and even the Zaino red that I've used.

I won't be buying more Meguiars at a tenner for 50g, just using up what I had left over. I might try the Bilt Hamber soft next time. I assume it you find it easy enough to use?

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Bought a 3TB WD Red drive for the server. :rock:
    And wheel bearings for the wifes car. :wallbash:

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plus both 007 eau de toilette & a Hugo Boss Orange one. Resisted the Glenmorangie Lasanta... it was hard.

15. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

16. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

A flashers mac?

17. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I need the exact same thing for the exact same reason. new flat has much lighter coloured carpets then my current one. don't suppose it was from a seller with plenty of stock?

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Got it for 140 Euros as well. :thumb:

:worried: no? :worried:

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Took the plunge and picked up a TH-152UX1W for the spare bedroom. I even got a fiver off for haggling = result.

20. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Is this a troll shirty?

You got a fiver off your £600,000 TV? Bargain.