1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows F16 dead stick landing (engine was shutdown before landing due to fault)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stanley Tweedle, 4 Jun 2013.

1. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

3. Stanley Tweedle

Well it was ok in the end.

4. Stanley Tweedle

Astonishing no one here even remotely interested in flightsims.

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Only a handful at best, to own a flight stick and for it to be a worthwhile purchase regular usage is needed. It is a a niche to be honest.

6. Stanley Tweedle

Flight sims used to be my toppest thing going back to the days of Jane's. Even back then I had 15 D-pin Saitek HOTAS (before USB came about).

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They're great, but the genre has been utterly stagnated for years. Compounded by lack of decent FF sticks imo, that's the only reason I don't have one atm.

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I can't bring my stick to uni without my parents getting suspicious that I might not be properly applying myself with work.
    -_-

I'm more interested in combat sims anyhow(or a XWA/XvT reboot)

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

there have been no decent combat flight sims for a while now...
    and with Microsoft Flight being free to play / utterly crap if you don't pay...
    the only flight sim worth looking into atm is Xplane10
    hopefully with World of Warplanes getting up and running it will encourage a few more decent Combat sims to get going

10. Stanley Tweedle

It's mostly just a few enthusiast dev teams now like DCS. Games companies only release arcade crap.

Tangster: You need to bring your parents in line. It sounds like they have somehow gotten the idea they're in control.

Krikkit: Is thrustmaster HOTAS not good enough for you? :)

I get on very well with my Saitek X52 Pro although I discovered the saitek editor was causing BF3 to crash but as soon as I uninstalled... no problem.

http://www.simhq.com/_air15/air_547a.html

One thing I did get last year was A10 sim and now there is DCS world as well which brings together all of the DCS range under one control panel.

http://www.simhq.com/_air15/air_549a.html

11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

My Logitech G940 works great with the DCS World system. I also use it to good effect in Take On Helicopters, which although is not a full sim, it is a great halfway point between game and sim. I also have Xplane, but I don't play it much - probably because I am not a proper serious pilot!

Another fun 'sim' is Rise Of Flight - great for a 'Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines' moment!

Also, it is a shame Cliffs Of Dover was a bit pants - maybe one day in the distant future we will all have machines capable of running it!

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jun 2013
  12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Jedra: Edit button please, it's there for a reason. :p

Which one is that then? There's 3 HOTAS-branded sticks, none of them boasting FF capabilities.

13. Stanley Tweedle

Microsoft did a great job in killing their flightsim series. They set out with a design goal to remove all of the simulation elements of FSX and just have it purely arcade. I think they achieved their target. Even the planes you can purchase lack cockpits. They're just exterior models. Last time I tried X-Plane there was no sensation of speed when taking off or landing. It was like taking off in a hot air balloon. I've tried to like Xplane a number of times.

G940 looks good. I got take on choppies. Played through some of the training missions. I got track IR 4 now so I must try it with that too. A10 is quite stunning with track IR. Very immersive.

Rise of Flight is good. I have to get into it.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/sites/all/modules/imagemanager/files/press/hotasw_1.jpg

You didn't specify FFB at first, I think you said a lack of decent controllers.

The degree of precision and ease of flight I get with my Saitek X52 Pro on BF3 flying choppies is incredible.

FFB isn't as important on a stick as much as body vibration I reckon unless of course you want to simulate vintage pre-fly-by-wire aircraft.

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Whoops - sorry - get used to another forum that merges concurrent posts automatically!

He is probably talking about the Warthog (http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/hotas-warthog) which by all accounts is a deadly stick. It is expensive anyway, and you need to buy separate pedals. I nearly got one instead of the G940 (because of its extensive programming ability), but I couldn't justify buying pedals as well.

Regarding Microsoft Flight - the fact that the paid for DLC planes came without cockpits was quite disgusting. I did quite like the game as a simple fly-around and it would have served as a great 'gateway' to proper sims, but the no cockpit thing was very, very poor.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2013
  15. Stanley Tweedle

Yup, warthog. Perfect for A10 sim especially.

Isn't the G940 a pressure stick?

Don't forget that FSX included airports around the world. Flight Arcade just gives you 1 island.

It is an utter pile of numpty crap.

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Not sure what you mean by pressure stick - my presence at SimHQ is notable by it's absence!

I wasn't trying to suggest that MS Flight was comparable to FSX - it plainly isn't! However I did actually find it quite fun to fly. Dropping support for FSX to build this was a strange decision though as it alienated the customers they did have without doing enough to entice new ones.

I think the world needs a new flight sim like the old Falcon series. I remember that with just opening the box you knew were in for something seriously special! I seem to remember that it was the weight of the box that actually sold me in the first place!

17. Stanley Tweedle

I used to love Falcon... way back in my Amiga 500 days.

One of the sticks out there is a pressure stick... if it's not your G940 it must be the Thrustmaster Cougar. No movement of stick... it senses your pressure.

You know that Falcon has been modded and upgraded so it runs on latest windows?

I have it installed.

18. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

I am so sad about Cliffs of Dover, I followed its development for years. There is a community patch which allegedly improves performance, but I haven't really given it a proper go yet:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3777

Based on the work that was done on IL2, maybe the community could fix it. Did you know that the Rise of Flight crew have sort of merged with the IL2 guys to make a new ww2 sim. Probably like ROF with ww2 planes, which would be quite good. Here's the forum:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/

19. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I can't see me getting into flightsims. i had a brief spell maybe 14/15 years ago but couldn't afford a better PC or better joystick back then. I got really into the xwing/tf series but that sadly ended and doesn't look like it'll be back. Are there any other decent recent space combat sims?

20. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Flight sims specially military ones went too much towards the simulation side if they kept it fun and interesting as well there'd still be punters playing it.

I'd personally would like to play them. But unlike 10 years ago I'm now got 2 kids and do not have the time to enjoy flight sims any more

Last flight sim for me was falcon 4.0

Tags: