1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD goes surround gaming gaga at Computex 2013

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 8 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Is 1920*5400 really going to be feasible once hardware requirement climb with the new consoles?

3. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I like the 5 monitors in portrait, just need the ultra thin bezels to ensure the gaps aren't noticeable between the actual screens.

4. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

Bezels, bezels, bezels.

When will manufacturers start making bezel-less monitors? And a 1 cm bezel is not THIN!

5. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

The five screen setup looks more natural than a three screen equivalent, but I don't think I would go for either until the bezels are gone (or at least extremely thin). Some would argue that there isn't enough demand for surround viewing to warrant the R&D to engineer truly bezel free monitors, but I would argue that the demand isn't there for surround viewing because of the annoying bezel. You wouldn't sit there and draw two vertical lines with a sharpie on a perfectly good flat screen, so most of us just keep going with bigger single screen solutions.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

to me, it makes more sense to get a projector or 2 if you want a large half-pipe display. Not only is it cheaper but the effect is much nicer, as long as you're not in a bright room.

7. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Dream setup I would love to play Tomb raider like that...but the cost of 5 decent monitors !

Damn.

8. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Bezels :(

As soon as bezels disappear I would love multiple monitors.

9. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

It'd be even better if it wasn't being played on a bloody joypad.

You can always tell when some console jockey has recorded gaming footage for youtube; the player character appears to slide rather woodenly around the environment, rotating only in one axis at once (or else rotating rather haphazardly, given that diagonals are hard on pads). It is, and it looks, nothing like the freedom of movement created by mouse control.

I guess this is why they don't generally let PC and console gamers compete when the game is available for both platforms.

10. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

They had the option of either but playing with mouse and keyboard would've meant being off to the side in front of the laptop - not sure why they didn't bring a proper keyboard.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

21:9 beamer projecting the image onto a slighly curved canvas from the back. No bezels, no edges and the image automatically blurrs out a little to the sides.

12. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

That sounds great! What res will that hit?

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Currently this is only possible via lens-shifting or anamorphotic lenses. So the resolution will be something like 1920x800 (Cinemascope is 2.4:1). However, as you project the image onto a screen the image looks smooth, just like in the cinema watching a movie in Cinemascope.

There's some 21:9 monitors with 2560x1080 available however, like the LG 26EA93 for example.

Surround or ultra-wide sounds nice, but imho is a waste of efforts, as you can't see the whole picture at once, but need to turn your head. Cinemascope only looks good when sitting far away from a giant screen like in the cinema.

For me 16:9 or 16:10 is still the most ergonomic and pleasing, when talking about desktop-use.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2013
  14. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Still early tech then. Fingers crossed for a much greater resolution in future!

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Current GPUs allready have troubles to run demanding games like Tomb Raider or Crysis 3 in ultra high settings at resolutions bigger than 1080p. A GTX 780 for example doesn't manage to run theses titles with more than 45 FPS in 2560x1440 in ultra settings and even the GTX Titan can't deliver more than 50-55 FPS with these settings. For 1080p with ultra settings these high end cards just slightly manage to keep the FPS above 60 FPS.

Look at this test... http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/05/23/geforce-gtx-780-review/5

...the GTX Titan delivers 25 FPS in Crysis 3 @ 5760x1080, 0x AA, Very High Settings. Notice, that in all resolutions AA was disabled to get those 45-65 FPS.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2013
  16. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I use 2560x1600 and I wonder whether AA makes a great difference when sat in front of such a high res. Different pixel densities certainly make a huge difference, and going from iPad3 back to iPad1 highlights the major difference there.

I have had my Titan since its launch, although still not had time to plug it in. To run the tech you suggested jrs77, but with real good mega-resolutions, I would certainly consider multiple Titans.

Tags: Add Tags