1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics MSI 7870 Temps...normal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Somer_Himpson, 9 Jun 2013.

1. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Recently built a new mini itx system which includes an MSI HD 7870 Hawk edition.
    Now I know the cooling in this case is not going to be top notch, simply because of the size but the noise the card makes under load is like a hairdryer.

Temps idle @ between 36-40 and hit a high of 76c when running the Heaven benchmark.
    Fan speeds (set to auto) went from an idle of 30% to a high of 56% which is when the Alex Ferguson effect can be heard in full flow.
    This is the same in games as well and not too demanding games at that. (Medal Of Honor Airborne)
    As soon as the fan speed gets to about 40%, it is unbearabable.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

2. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

Last edited: 9 Jun 2013
    Somer_Himpson likes this.
  3. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

Well some cards are louder than others obviously but 'unbearable' at 40% would be quite unusual. If you've had the card less than a week you might be able to send it back under DSR, otherwise you could try a warranty return... From the reviews of the 7870 cards I don't think they're generally *that* loud unless you're at 80%+ fan speed.

Somer_Himpson likes this.
  4. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the response.
    I bought it recently from the market place.