1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Apple MacBook Airs revealed, with all-day battery life

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 10 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

what a collosal waste of money.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

No touchscreen? Very surprised by that.

4. Sub-particle 0.76

Sub-particle 0.76 What's a Dremel?

LOL snips. Wrong computer/OS mate!

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

LOL 9h "all-day battery"
    My 5 year 14inch old laptop had 9h and a dedicated Nvidia GPU, HDD, standard Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, with Vista! (make that 11h with Win8). And Dell advertise the second battery plate that you attach to the system dock port as pushing the system (with Vista) 21h of operation. So that would probably be 24h+ with Win8. THAT is ALL day battery. Even 21h, I can consider all day battery. 9h is nice.. but not all day... 12h for the 13inch is better.. but still not all day. And I am not impressed.. no dedicated GPU.

Dell was able to push 9h with Vista, and with a a CPU and GPU that consumed a lot more power than what we have today.

6. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

There are many factors involved such as size, weight, battery size, processor speed, etc. There have been laptops with 10h+ battery life for many years but they've generally been chunkier, slower, heavier than the new MacBooks or indeed the latest Ultrabooks (that's all the new MacBook Air is, Apple's latest ultrabook).

7. GoodBytes

My laptop was considered "thin" back in the days, and weight was light for such system.
    My CPU in my laptop is a Core 2 Duo P8400 (there was faster options). Not an ultra-voltage processor. Looking at the inside of the system, the thing that take the most room, is the slim optical drive. remove that, and the VGA and Ethernet port, and the system can even much slimmer.

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Well, I certainly wouldn't complain if someone bought me one of these. That's the kind of battery life I could make good use of, and the size and build quality are nice.

If I had to replace my current laptop for any reason, though, I'd be sticking with bargain basement HP or similar models. It's all very well having a backlit keyboard, a durable aluminium body and an SSD, but at the end of the day the 11'' air isn't any better for coffee shop book writing than my HP is, for 1/4 of the price.

9. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Very disappointing that the screen hasn't changed at all, not even IPS from the looks of it. I can understand why they didn't go retina (even though others are managing that fine such as the Asus Zenbook Infinity and new Acer S7) but they're stuck with the same TNs as the last gen. They're good TNs, but they're not IPS.

For a premium ultrabook in mid-2013 from a company that prizes display and graphics quality I'd have expected an IPS screen when the competition are using them too.

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

For one have you seen the size of a macbook air, its a 'lot' thinner than a four year old dell. Most ultrabooks get half that.

Also, how long do you use an laptop for? 9hrs a day is way more than most people will use per day. As I said in the mac pro thread, the pro/air upgrade isn't necessarily to convert people from windows, it more to keep people on OSX.

Also, I'm pretty sure fitting in a dedicated gpu isn't possible in the chassis AND keeping the 'all day battery life'. If you want a dedicated gpu, you buy the macbook pro.

11. GoodBytes

I use my laptop as a desktop computer. I don't concern myself with battery life, trying to save anything. I program and compile on the go, I do school work with sometimes music I record classes, and take note with OneNote... Doing this under Vista 64-bit, gave me 7h and half of battery life.

Also, battery life diminishes over time. I changed my battery of my laptop already. While they are fine by themselves, giving about 4h, maybe 5h with my usage. It's not enough anymore.
    Here, with the MacBook Air, I'll have to run and buy a new laptop.

And you are exactly on my point.. today technology is far more advance than 5 years ago... CPU and GPU consume far less power, and are far more efficient, display are thinner and consumer less power as well, and also have less ports to power, as you have less of them. In my case I have: optical drive, Smart card reader, RFID card reader, express card expansion, firewire, and more USB ports than what you have today.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Looks at old Netbook with new 6600ah battery *chuckles*

13. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Why? The OS is not at all designed for touch.

14. RTT

RTT #parp

What is your point exactly? :duh:

Tags: Add Tags