1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft confirms Xbox One price and release date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 10 Jun 2013.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

$499 = £320 ; add 20% landing duty that's £384

then add 20% VAT that's £460...

although wholesale wont be that price , you can see where the parity in pricing comes from.

2. dipzy

dipzy Minimodder

Pretty expensive still, will be interesting to see what the PS4 comes in at, if they announce its price that is but i'd expect it will be around the same as xbox one or more

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Haha.

No.

That's not happening at launch. Maybe when it's 300.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

PS4 has a more expensive APU, more expensive RAM; X1 has Kinnect... I don't see how could PS4 be cheaper than XBOX One.

5. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

For me it's just Haha, No, Never. Greedy M$. When I have next 500 EUR to blow on first world problems it will be to upgrade my computer (motherboard, CPU and RAM).

6. faugusztin

Or just not sold at loss.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

For the number of years of gaming you'll get it'll break down to £50/yr for the hardware, not too bad.

Wouldn't surprise me if PS4 is more, what was it, £425 ps3 launch price add ~7 years inflation @ ~3% you end up with over 520quid.

8. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

when 360 launched, you needed nvidia 780gtx to get same graphics performance so about £800 - £1k pc
    i was amazed at the hardware bargain it was (games cost aside etc blah)
    I imagine, you'll still need about £800 - £1k pc for same effect (not same hardware, same fps at same res)
    so it's still a hardware bargain (unless you already have that £1k pc).
    If it's upgrade time, and you only got £500 - how much do you need that mouse?

9. ResCyn

ResCyn What's a Dremel?

Don't care about the price. I'm still not willing to have MS ram a Kinnect up my arse whilst emptying my wallet & kerb stomping my consumer rights - and all the while telling me I like it. I can't say I won't get one down the line at some point but there's no way in hell I'm spending several thousand in software with them again.

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

in the EU all electronic goods come with 2 years now (even thought apple do not tell you that) your lucky in the USA if it has more 90days parts defect/cover

not that xbox interests much any way

11. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

It'll be interesting to see a full comparison between the hardware of the Xbox One and the new Playstation.
    People might pay more for the Xbox if it has better hardware given that it should have a ten year life cycle. What's an extra £100 over ten years for something better? (Assuming it is better)

12. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Kinect is a huge plus for the xbox, the OS is also bound to be a bit better but the negatives are ramping up too:
    -slower hardware (graphics won't be quite as pretty).
    -higher price.
    -dodgy DRM and used game restrictions.

If you just want an old fashioned console looking more and more like the PS3 is the best choice.

13. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

In the UK we always get stiched up on the cost compared to the US, like people have said before it's about £50 more expensive after to take into account VAT and exchange rates. But also in the EU it has to come with a 2 year warranty which I don't think is the case in the US so all in all the price is not unreasonably different.

And I think if your compalining about the price your missing the point. It will get cheaper, and if you can't afford it now your not the target market. MS (or Sony) could care less about you if you save up all your money to buy the console and a game and then can't afford to buy more stuff and pay for subscritions. At the launch of a console cycle your selling to the people who can spend the most money and therefore could care less if its £349, or £429.

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If they take the approach they have for PC ports of console games over the last few years, there'll be a lowest-common-denominator effect at play, and what you'll actually get is the PS4 not quite being used to its fullest potential.

Does seem a little steep, though. I said the same about the PS3, which was similarly-priced, and if I recall suffered quite badly as a result.

15. faugusztin

Again, the only country where XBOX One launch price is similar to PS3 launch price (not taking inflation into account) is UK, because you had a very different exchange rate back then - 1.47€ for £1 back in 2007; it is 1.17€ for £1 now. Everywhere else launch price XBOX One is 100$/€ cheaper than the PS3 launch price. With the exchange rate similar to the one in 2007 your XBOX One price would be £339.45, compared to the launch price of XBOX 360 at £279.99.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

PS4 is sub £350 so its £80 cheaper

Using a more expensive APU and more expensive RAM.

17. faugusztin

Yes, they somehow managed it, but you should not forget to add the price of the Eye to PS4 price for consoles to be comparable, and then you probably reach £400 with PS4 too.

Still, i am not sure if Sony is not selling it at loss, plus it is now same as XBOX on the multiplayer side - paid subscription needed for multiplayer.

PS: Not like i am going to buy either of these, i have yet to see a feature or game which would offset the price and bad usability of controllers compared to the keyboard+mouse combo.

18. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

"PS: Not like i am going to buy either of these, i have yet to see a feature or game which would offset the price and bad usability of controllers compared to the keyboard+mouse combo" - Me same. I think Kinect HD is potentially amazing if used to it's full potential but otherwise I hate the controllers these consoles use. OK for some games not but FPS.

19. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Add on the extra game pad and 1 game and you are looking at almost 600 GBP for a console that will monitor everything you say and do and return 'some data' to MS. Nice.

Or I can pay for a device that is designed for gamers....

20. faugusztin

Well, i can go only by the numbers on Wikipedia. If it was £360 back then, with current exchange rate would be £452.30. As i said, UK got a bit distorted view on the console prices, because at previous launch you were on your economic high with a "good" EUR/GBP exchange rate.

Tags: Add Tags