1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News No internet for Xbox One? Get an Xbox 360 then, says Microsoft.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 12 Jun 2013.

1. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

LOL MS yet again show their ability to not listen to its customers

You would think the failures in sales windows home server 2011 and windows 8 would have made them stand up and listen to consumer demand

But no they never learn.

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I do.

Are you American per chance? because you sound like the "If you don't like our country then you can just GIT OUT" brigade.

I can afford games and I can afford an internet connection. In fact, we pay £35 a month for our internet ONLY due to where we live. Sadly it's crap, so there are times where I have to switch my account to offline and play my games that way.

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

DRM. Launch Price. Game prices. Technical Specs. Announced Games.

All will make a difference to how many consoles get pre-ordered and how many get sold on launch day. Twelve months in though it 'could' be anyone's game.

Say there's a killer title that all the cool kids in schools are playing on 'Console A' (Or talking about because they have seen the adverts) and it's not available for 'Console B'. Which console do you think the average kid is going to want come holiday season?

Specs and DRM and price won't make a damn bit of difference to what gets asked for for Christmas.

If I had to call I'd say PS4 is winning the popular vote at the moment, but it's SONY guys. We're still months away from 'early days' and 'too soon to call'. Anyone could win out in this race. Or hey, maybe both will do well enough to be a viable option just like the 360 and PS3 are.

4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

I'm sure it will fly off the shelf without any problems despite the continuous "mistakes" they are making.

5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Of course it will. Mostly because if console owners cared about the actual spec, power and so on of the system they would have a PC.

I bet 90% of console owners wouldn't even know what went on inside their console. That's how Microsoft want it..

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

What does being American have anything to do with it? Tell me any 1 country that wouldn't say the same thing (except maybe Canada since they're too polite :eek:).

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I know it will for me. It has Halo. I want Halo. Deal done.

8. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I would argue it would be the console they could share games with. Don't know about you but I swapped many a game with school mates growing up over various gaming systems.

Considering in school you are lucky (unless you are a spoilt little toe rag) to get one game every 3 months, 2nd hand sales, rentals and swapping with mates IS your gaming life.

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I keep Steam in offline mode unless I'm checking the store or looking for updates. I have wireless internet with a 15 Gig cap per month. That may sound like a lot of data, but it's not. When I exceed that limit, I'm not charged but my speeds go down to a crawl so I'm constantly trying to keep my usage within a reasonable range. Wireless and Satellite ISPs are my only options and all the ones in my area have usage limits.

If I were to buy a console, I would go with the PS4. Mainly because of the second hand market and secondly for the less draconian internet requirement. Microsoft is only hurting themselves on this one.

10. schmidtbag

You're right, 15GB isn't that much. But...:
    1. Dialup is free now. That'd be a decent way to do simple web browsing or use Steam's online features without using up your good connection. I would be surprised if you couldn't get a dialup connection in your area.
    2. With such an internet connection, I doubt you download games on Steam. So, why have Steam?
    3. Most of what makes Steam great are things that depend on you being online. So again, why have steam?
    4. Steam doesn't allow returns, not without fighting with Valve anyway. If you like the idea of second hand games, Steam is heading in the opposite direction.

Personally, I like Steam and think it's one of the best things that happened to PC gaming. I just don't understand your motivation to use it.

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Lol...spot the microshaft company rep , loads of them have been banned from Neo-Gaf in the last week, trying to put a positive spin on the BS coming from them.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

"it's called Xbox 360 PS4" fixed that.

I do on my laptop (on travels, I don't have an Internet connection, but take the laptop and/or WII with me.)

Cause they're effin cheap during their sales :D ...and you need it for HL

Last edited: 12 Jun 2013
  13. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

So i'm counting 3 people?

You're right schmidtbag, it shouldn't matter where you are from.

14. schmidtbag

I think Snips is probably getting a little tired of these technicalities at this point. Steam has an offline mode for reasons such as the following:
    * You are traveling with a laptop
    * You are trying to download something else and don't want Steam taking up your bandwidth
    * You have a limited bandwidth
    * You want to avoid notifications of friends without actually turning them off
    * You want to play a game on your account on another computer
    and probably a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head. HOWEVER, if you have a desktop computer with a presumably reliable 24/7 internet connection and is the only computer you own with Steam involved then why do you need offline mode? This is exactly the issue Snips is trying to point out when it comes to XB1 - you likely won't be owning more than 1 for yourself in the same household, you aren't going to be using it on-the-go, and most games these days require gigantic updates on the day of their release (something I'm personally unhappy about) so you will presumably have a reliable internet connection if you care about the game operating correctly.

So, realistically, when will people need their Xbox to be offline? Again, totally understandable for PCs.

Like I said, I personally like Steam, but LordPyrinc doesn't seem to be in a good situation to use it.

15. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Quite a horrendous attitude to be honest. The guy just said where he lives there is no internet of that speed available.

I thinking of my own back pocket when I buy games, not the developers back pocket! The second hand market opens up a world of gaming to the less fortunate than obviously yourself. While I was at uni that was all I did to get games for cheaper, finish them trade them in..rinse repeat. The second hand market is a good thing if you ask me. Games wont get cheaper if it goes.

Probably because some games required it now....just like origin? Its also still a great way to keep your titles organised.

16. schmidtbag

I understand your point, but there is also the idea of just not buying games the day they come out, or not buying AAA titles just because they're popular. Wait a year or 2 and the prices of new games become the prices of used games. There's ALWAYS some old game someone has intended to play and never did. Personally, I prefer waiting anyway since after a year, the people who are still playing it are a lot more fun, either because they're more mature or they're more of a challenge.

17. law99

law99 Custom User Title

If I was to read between the lines I'd say this is what "President of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, Don Mattrick" is trying to say:

[​IMG]

18. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

I use steam but rarely play anything online most of my gaming is done offline and I have stable fast internet lucky enough even though I've been in many situations where I've needed to use the offline mode. also used games are a must to me I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices for over bloated game budgets, I've played many indie games with reasonable prices that are to high standards strange how they can do that on a lower budget with smaller teams and make a profit.

so cloud gaming is the reason for always needing to connect sounds stupid what if you don't want to cloud gaming and if your not doing cloud gaming then you don't need to connect so why would you need an internet connection.

and yes I will not be buying the xbox one for these reasons it's a ridiculous piece of hard ware and I'm a fan of Microsoft loved the xbox and the 360 but Microsoft got some serious business practices.

19. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Actually I do purchase games through Steam. If it's a big download though I hold off until a few days before my bandwidth reset and just run my wireless connection 24x7. Even when I hit the cap and the speeds drop, I just have to be patient and let it finish downloading. In addition to that, some games require Steam to be installed whether you play online or not. FEAR2 and Skyrim for example installs Steam.

20. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

£430 + game, that's pretty expensive just to play that game!

Tags: Add Tags