1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News No internet for Xbox One? Get an Xbox 360 then, says Microsoft.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 12 Jun 2013.

1. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

2. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

if i'm paying £400 for a console I want it to be able to operate on it's own with requirements of a cloud system or internet connection is that an unreasonable request.

3. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

without*

4. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

What makes me chuckle is all the people with small memories. Don't like xbone stuff but Sony have a track record of shafting customers once they get your cash.

I remember when my ps3 had a Linux option but no longer, let's see if a year after release everything is still rosy in ps4 land, once developers get a taste for the authentication expect it to be in every game on all platforms.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

So is everyone not lucky enough to buy new games now?

Do we have second hand charts now?

The reality is Sony hasn't said half of what it intends to bring to PS4. Will you need internet connection to play games, some no others yes. How many exclusives are they starting with not from their Sony Studios and affiliates? Are you planning to hack the software to play illegal games? Now that's the point people are whining about. If it's always on then how can I play the game I've just downloaded from the torrent site?

Everything from a dishwasher to a heating system is connected online these days. To moan about it being connected is total folly. Is it a portable device? No. Will it stay in the same place under the TV? Yes. Is there a connection available for the device? Yes Can it be connected and left? Yes

So the only moan now becomes the "cheap second hand" games. Have you seen second hand game prices? It can range from £5 to £10 if you're lucky on charted games. So instead of £37.99 for Dead Island Riptide, it's £32.99 second hand. Is that really all you're moaning about? If you want to buy it for £17.99 then wait a year or so.

Anything else?

6. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

We are not beholden to making life easier for these corporations. The only question that matters is what do we, the customers, gain from an aways online Xbox One versus a console that does not have this feature? For many the answer is "nothing" and to some it will in fact make the product unusable to them. It really doesn't matter what other companies are offering as competition, if the PS4, Wii U and Ouya all did the same thing this gripe with the Xbox One would still stand.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I get where people are coming from when they say "always online, what's the problem"
    As it is easy to forget the whole world isnt on the internet when we use it every day of our lives.
    But people really need to look at it from the other 65.7% of the world population who have no access at all.
    http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm
    Even with a potential market of 7,017,846,922 people who do have internet access, you have to ask your self why would you limit the amount of people you could sell to ?

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Pretty much this.

If we gain nothing from these added: "features" what's the point?

9. Clesm

Clesm What's a Dremel?

Can you put in holiday mode for when you go on holiday for 2/3 weeks and turn the router / it of at the wall??

Or in some peoples case what happens when your mum unplugs it to hoover your room whilst your at band camp?

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Agreed. For the majority of my daily life I have a stable 20/5 connection and would not be impacted by an always on system. However, it would add nothing to my gaming experiences by forcing the online component at all times.

When I was without home internet access for four days things were different. Steam works in offline mode, my PS3 continued to work. Would an Xbox One have worked? It'd have kept playing for 24 hours then cease to function as a game's console. Why? What is the wonderful benefit of forcing an internet connection which makes up for this downside? There is none.

The system requires an online "check in" every 24 hours. Fail to meet the check in and it will prevent you from playing your games until you've checked in again. No "holiday" mode or means of temporarily postponing a check in has been announced, at least to my knowledge.

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It's like a hotel room.

You know, one wonders what happens when the server bucks under all the users on line...

And when this console runs into it's EOL...

12. Baguette

Baguette What's a Dremel?

I think Snips is confuzzling feature and imposed feature...

The gripe about internet "check-in" is that it is a pointless addition that *might* be a true b**** when the time comes. That and the fact that check-ins will probably have to be done to a server...And that is truly a hard hit for retro gaming. In the future, if Microsoft go bankrupt and have no more servers (after seeing this whole fiasco, why the hell not) your xbox one won't work anymore...shame really, especially since that means it doesn't have retro gaming value.

Microsoft will disable it eventually, you say? Then why the hell not NOW. WHY are they insisting on a feature that frankly resembles DRM for PC's...oh wait...are they scared that people will hack xbox games? Please let it not be that...

13. Snips

I'm not confusing anything.

14. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

*dingdingding*

99% of DRM serves ONE purpose: Delaying the inevitable: Hacking, or piracy.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Wow new one on me, i didn't think DRM delayed Hacking, or piracy at all.
    From what i have read on some forums you get a lot less hassle with out DRM, versus with it.

16. Snips

That was the issue with the PS3. When the hack code was released, they rightly went apesh** and threw the book at the dude who published it.

I know people today that have never played their PS3 online because the cracked software and illegal downloads they play.

I can really understand why the majority are whining about the online check in.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

The online check means you can not take it with you on holiday to most places in England as the Internet on most caraven parks is below 3G levels for the bulk of them. Go into the lakes or northern Scotland and you will be lucky to have a phone connection.

That's a big deal to people with younger kids who you could sometimes just sit in front of the tv with a game whilst you unpack make there food ect Ect.

Also can not be installed into a car anymore unlike the Xbox 360 for example.

You and me and others have 24/7 perm Internet connections but not everywhere does. What works for us won't work for 65% of the population. Will also make the console a tough sell in lesser developed nations ( which is where the Xbox is very popular)

The most laughable thing I read was that it would not work outside of the country you brought it in. Region lock in this day and age is laughable.

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I have a 24/7 internet connection and I still wouldn't want this online DRM they are pushing. Fine if they want to authentic a game the first time you install it, but after that you should be able to play said game without having to be online.

So.. all they are really doing is punishing some of their customers...which funnily enough seems to be the end result with almost every kind of drm to date. Punishing those that pay because of their fear of those that don't. Brilliant :wallbash:

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Even more so when you consider some country's wont get the Xbone this year (japan)
    Cant imagine what that will do to Christmas sales.

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah yes, no I've misunderstood you there. I thought the question was how often does my PC go offline, you're right, next to never.

My Console (and I thought we were talking about consoles here) is exactly the opposite, hardly ever online (well, never yet to be exact) ;)

Tags: Add Tags