1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL People who should never build a PC

Discussion in 'General' started by chrismarkham1982, 14 Jun 2013.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Ahh, yes, but...the key here is price (Silverstone/Lian Li/etc. are sexy but very expensive) and the thing being preassembled (Console Joe will either not want to build an ITX gaming PC or will try to and make a mess of it).

I have a tiny ITX build with a full-height graphics card, but the problem is finding an OEM equivalent that Console Joe would be able to buy and play on without knowing anything about computers...

I suppose there might be ebay stores selling prefab Silverstone/Lian Li gaming builds, but as we've established, ebay pricing is for people who're tired of having money.

What we need is an OEM box that's smaller than generic mATX, maybe even a flat HTPC orientation, that will take a gaming graphics card.

/searches

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Oh, I do! The response is always the same: "I can't be bothered with the hassle." And then, they ALWAYS go back to the console because they lacked the knowledge to do a good job in the first place, and go back to slamming PC users as if they never wanted to change.

I think the funniest response I've had was after a friend picked his local shop over me which sold him basically an Ebay machine. He said to me: "The guy in the shop was German, and although it wasn't a good deal, I had to trust him with a computer- he was German."

I'm not kidding either. :lol: :rolleyes:

3. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

LOL :D:D

sent from me phone :)

4. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

FTFY.

I've seen someone stuff a 690 into a uITX case before.

5. boiled_elephant

Yes, well, some people just have no respect for the sanctity of a factory case design :p

I've been trying to find out whether there're any ITX gaming OEM machines, but all the OEM efforts in that direction assume HTPC rather than gaming priorities and go for half-height. Which is silly, because ITX gaming is now completely viable (see my sig).

Makes me angry that nobody's acknowledging how viable it is yet. You just don't need a mahoosive Space Odyssey obelisk to game on a PC anymore.

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

BURN THE HERETIC!

Parge likes this.
  7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Bahahaa

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

im guessing an operating system for them to actually be able to switch the thing on is pirated? since they say `use the one you have already..... yup MS approve of that option im sure....

the £525 and were done include a psu that cost £17 , a HDD that is second hand on the bay and a pirated OS.....

awesome :D

9. Parge

Yes, they do approve of that option. If you've been throwing away your Windows licence every time you upgrade then..... :duh:

Last edited: 17 Jun 2013
  10. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

If it's an OEM licence it shouldn't work when you activate it on a new PC anyway. A retail licence will though, that's why buying one is worth the extra £££. As long as it's uninstalled from the old PC it's allowed by MS.

11. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Whilst this is true, the people this article is aimed at will most likely have an existing copy of windows that came with their old Dell desktop, Ebay special, or Asus laptop etc. meaning OEM, tied to their existing machine. Anyone with a retail copy will have already had experience assembling their own computer, and as such hopefully won't be following a guide which recommends a £17 PSU.

12. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

The licence you get on laptops etc will transfer to another machine, although they are strictly OEM. At least they did with win xp.

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Yep, done that a few times with an OEM Vista. Did it the phone activation way and never had an issue

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

actually aria have a 8350 based machine with a 7950 and a 500gb hdd for £590 today

15. boiled_elephant

Which is above any beyond what you need, anyway. PC gaming is actually getting cheaper all the time, but PC gamers' expectations and standards for what games should look like and how much postprocessing they should have is skyrocketing as fast as the hardware is improving. Really, you can game perfectly happily on a PC costing less than £400 now (which is why I consider the next-gen console pricing to be a total joke).

I've been digging around and it looks like the best half-height graphics card you can get is the GT 640. Which kinda sucks. I'm disappointed, because there's clearly a market niche for half-height mid-range competent gaming graphics cards, but nobody's bothering to try and fill it.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Considering how many homes have PCs the difference in cost between the basic home use PC and that "perfectly happy" PC is even less than £400. Particularly as people get roped into overpriced PCs that will never do anything more strenuous than open ten browser tabs at once.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

you have 10000 posts here, that's a grade for not beeing popular! :lol:

That's not funny at all, just utterly correct :hip:

*runsawaylaughing*

18. Parge

Is there though? I' sure if there was, someone would be filling it, there are enough board partners out there making custom PCBs.

19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Thank you! :D

Don't get me wrong, I know quite a few Germans who are great poeple and very technically minded. What got me was that this guy was just another local rip off merchant. When my friend got the computer I had a look what he's managed to get in for 600 quid: 500W no brand PSU. Old IDE hard drive, and a GT210 which he told my friend to be a "great card for HD gaming".

Plus I only just reached the 10000, so it just made me less popular. ;)

20. Xir

Xir Modder

I was beeing ironic... Want to buy tech? I live in Germany.
    Ve has ferry korreggt hardvare here