1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Anything between these PSU's? Which would you pick?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eUphoria, 18 Jun 2013.

1. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for a new PSU for an impending new build and looking for it to be quiet as possible, the hybrid passive fan on these three PSU's plus the reviews all sound very positive:

Seasonic x-750

Corsair AX760

XFX 750 Pro Black modular

I realise that the Seasonic and XFX use the same internals, but other than price is there anything to differentiate these?

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

To be honest you couldn't go wrong with any of those three, they are all top-notch PSUs.

I think the warranty period is longer on the Seasonic and it may be easier to RMA too if something goes wrong as I seem to remember a few complaints on here about XFX's RMA procedure/handling.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Although you will probably never come across this issue but I would like to point out that when my sons corsair psu failed I had to jump through hoops to get them to pay for the return shipping to the netherlands (if I recall it was upwards of £20 to return and it was only a £34 psu).

So look at each psu manufacturers rma procedures for a little piece of mind regarding that.

The likelyhood of you needing to rma is very small mind but my experience has put me off corsair a little.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'd go for the Seasonic. I've heard that the XFX customer service is dire...

5. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Seasonic. I contacted their customer services as I was sleeving some cables and could use a second set just in case, and they sent me some straight through for free - which I cannot say no to!

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Nice! Tempts me to try the same and to give sleeving mine a try!

Edit: Who did you contact & what did you say exactly?

Edit 2: Maybe PMs would be better to avoid crapping the thread too much

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Just curious, but weren't you requested to keep quiet about this?

8. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

No, but it's definitely not something they do regularly. It's a pretty odd request, and I had a different use case then simply sleeving (it was a side effect, but essentially I used the same PSU in 2 PCs and simply swapped it between - hence the two sets of cables).

It was also a little while ago (probably 1 1/2 - 2 years ago), and they originally tried to charge me. I asked whether there was another way of paying them, as the EU headquarters is in Germany and therefore the price (which was ~20 EUR shipped IIRC) would be small in comparison to the charges for international transfers to IBAN. Anyway, they wrote back and said don't worry about the cost, we'll send for free.

I wouldn't expect them to do it again, or at all as a matter of fact, and I suspect it isn't routine. It does show that their customer service is about good experiences though.

9. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

Thanks! Seasonic ordered last night

....and I ended up ordering a Corsair K70 - damn you and your today only's Scan!

10. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Good choice. Seasonic is the best brand as far as i'm concerned. I'll only use them or Corsair. Mostly for their top-notch customer service.