1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA Sports Ignite engine won't work on current PCs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 19 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

I thought EA did not want to be hated anymore!
    Their PR is truly psychotic :confused:

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Wow just wow, not that I really care since I don't play the Fifa and NHL type games but I know people who do and they are just going to laugh when they hear about this.

Well Done EA on making yourselves look more stupid and foolish.

4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

So is this part of the new "go and buy a new console" agenda?

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Stupid people buying £250 PCs and expecting them to game, ruining it for the rest of us. Not that I'll be missing out when it comes to EA sport games, but I know a few who'll be gutted!

6. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Probably hate the fact that for over half a year it can stay top price on console, but within a month on PC it's £20 maximum

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha pc's are too weak. hahahahahhaha stop! stop! im going to pee! stop!
    hahahahahaha

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Sounds like a big case of "we couldn't be ****ed optimising the engine for a PC, so screw it."

9. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

I do not have a TOP computer like some projects that we can see in the projects section, but my specs are superior than the specs of these new generation consoles. EA claims new consoles as power PCs???? Do they know what a power PC is?

Definitely an approach to sell new consoles, after 1/2 years I would like to know if EA has the same opinion...
    Moreover their stupid store as far as I know is not as used as steam, so I do not know if this is an approach to kill PC gaming and on-line stores.

10. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Is that not the point of printing the minimum specifications on the game's box ? do people not bother reading them now or something ?
    Bloody EA slowly but surely killing off gaming !

11. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

So what kind of hardware will be in these next gen consoles that people talk about? Wasn't it basically an amd x86 based cpu

and a radeon based graphics card that was in 77xx region?

PCs that aren't powerful enough is a pretty lame excuse for whatever real reason they might have..

12. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

wasnt the apu in the ps4 and one an 8 core jaguar... not a 4 core? that is actually a decent amount of graphics power, but yeah next to a mid range gaming pc it's pretty much just an ok budget build

13. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

It's like they want to shoot themselves in the foot constantly.

I don't think my PC will worry (8 core, 32GB RAM, Sapphire 6GB 7970, 6xRAID0 SSD on Areca 1882ix (with 4GB cache).

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oh no.

No Electronic Arts sports change-the-number-every-year games.

What are we going to do. Sob. Wail. Gnash.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Why psychotic? For once EA are not exactly to blame, its unfortunately the target audience trying to put it on their old laptops or Pentium 4 desktops. While we understand it here, it is our duty to educate more gamers in the real way of PC gaming so it doesn't adversely affect business decisions like this. I don't think there's harm in being a realist and asking "Please buy the console version if your PC is too crap and you don't wish to upgrade".

I'd love gaming websites to get more involved with PC hardware, rather than the token review of a graphics card now and then.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I understand what he is saying, but it does seem like a cop out to me.

As 'Dave Lister' said
    Unfortunately you only have to read any games support forum to see people being told they don't meet the minimum requirements :duh:

I also understand the tight integration of the RAM, CPU, and GPU in next gen consoles work in a different way from PC's, But the cop out comes from not admitting the real reason and instead blaming PC hardware.

IMHO the real reason is that it's not financially viable to spend time both in optimizing it and supporting it on the PC. Either that or EA staff find it a bit to complicated.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Unfortunately many people don't read the minimum spec, or they simply don't understand it. Their feeling is that they paid x amount of money x months/years ago and therefore it should play the game.

You say cop-out, they say it's a business decision based on their evidence of marketing and support calls. Their developer either doesn't have the cash or the time to meet the deadline to spend building just a very low-end version of the game for all these PCs - of which would sacrifice the high-end version of the game that you want anyway!

My point is that we should be educating all these people so WE can get a better experience. Moaning about companies won't affect their statistics, which are the only measurable outcome for them.

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Jun 2013
  18. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Why do so many people on here simply forget that they are not representative of the majority of the market at all. We are computer enthusiasts, of course we have rigs that can handle this. However, most people will not. It's perfectly reasonable business to say "Hey the market share isn't large enough at present, we'll postpone arrangements there".

I can't imagine the Fifa market on PC is anything like that for consoles, it's just not a game franchise that I would figure many PC gamers being into. That reduced market share and then on top of that the reduced number of potential purchasers thanks to hardware limitations sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

I mean many of my friends game on effectively potatoes, they would no way be able to play an XBone or PS4 game; some of them have FPS drops in LoL and DOTA.

siliconfanatic likes this.
  19. holbob

holbob What's a Dremel?

Ah, for the days of setting the res at 640x480 and it all looking **** but running ok! Can't that be done anymore?

20. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Seems fair enough to me, the way the consoles are a fixed platform with a large amount of ram and a known spec makes optimisation a lot simpler on console, you only need to take a glance at the steam hardware survey to realise the majority of people don't have a spec thats much higher than the Xbone let alone PS4. Bear in mind without a lot of the PC middleware that makes everything tick the consoles can get a lot more horsepower out of the same hardware. The guys who made Metro said that the hardware in the new consoles performs about twice as well as the same hardware in a PC in a recent Digital Foundry interview.

I'd say about 20-25% of gamers with steam installed actually do have hardware which is better than the consoles. Which is the minority of the market, its probably not worth the effort for EA at this stage, frankly if they thought they'd make money doing it they'd do it. EA of all people put money before all else, and I don't see why they wouldn't, they've probably looked at Origins data, and Steams and concluded after a cost benefit analysis that its not worth it at this time.

Being emotional about this isn't going to make them change their minds, I'm sure in another 2-3 years the shoe will be on the other foot again and the console gamers will have 6-7 more years before they get another hardware refresh.

Tags: Add Tags