1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Clicking fans on fan controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gcwebbyuk, 19 Jun 2013.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have been running Scythe S-Flex E fans for quite some time now without problems. I ran them from a Scythe Kaze Server for a while also without issue.

I recenly bought a Corsair Link Cooling Kit and straight away the fans started to click. I returned the kit and went back to motherboard control - but want to be able to control the fans externally.

I then bought a NZXT Sentry Mix, which arrived today. Hooked it up - clickety click! :cry:

Is this common for the Scythe S-Flex fans? If so, which fans work well without clicking, and are as good (air flow and silence) if not better than the Scythes?

Please help the clicking is driving me mad and it was only fitted just now... Gonna probably switch back to the motherboard for the time being as I doubt I will be able to RMA this controller to - or if I do it will be at a cost.

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I *think* its down to how the fan controller works, either pulsing the 12v like a PWM system or modifying the voltage. Some fans, like your Scythes, don't like being pulsed with 12v and produce the clicking noise your hearing.

3. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Yeah that sounds about right. Do most recent fan controllers work like that?

Do you know if Noctua fans run ok off of this kind of controller?

I just tried a Sharkoon Silent Eagle and it worked ok, so I know I could replace them with these and be quiet.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I haven't the foggiest to be honest with you. I'll leave those questions to someone more knowledgeable :)

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Happened to me and I switched the controller. All fine now! Analogue dials = no issues, digital speed settings = annoying clicking

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, its the difference between PWM and voltage regulation or something like that. Very annoying.

7. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Which fan controller did you go for?